N55 to S55 engine swap

Midnight-535

Mar 3, 2021
Hello everyone.
I'm new to spoolstreet, or any car enthusiast forum. Anyway, here goes. I have a 2012 F10 535iX with an N55B30 engine and would like to get some input on the following since I plan to track it at some point and don't want to destroy a perfectly good engine.
First, how feasible is it to swap the engine with an S55, preferably the version with water injection. Would there need to be changes to the chassis, motor mounts, etc. to make it fit, if any.

Otherwise would it then be better to mimic some of the internal components, such as forged crankshaft and rods, and maybe even a water cooled intercooler. would that still lay down a solid foundation like the S55?

And how interchangeable are the parts between the two engines.

Before I go, I just want to clarify my intentions. As I mentioned, I don't want to blow a good engine and am looking to have a solid foundation to track my car and reach around 700 to 800+ BHP. Since the N55 is open deck there isn't much support around the cylinders and might cause damage that I would like to avoid at all costs.
Thanks again for any and all input.

Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
750 at the crank is what,650 at the wheel? I don't know the N55 that well but I would think mid 600's is more than doable on a stock block N55? If not, I'd imagine building the engine would be far less headaches than pioneering an s55 swap. Never want to be first with this kind of stuff unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket and have multiple years to look at it in the garage.

Reactions: RuskiRacer

Traf

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2017
Ride
135i
I believe N55 to S55 swap has already been done, from what i've read, its not the most difficult of swap due to both having the same DME.