N54 water to air intercooler street build

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I think that one in my post there was just a suggested table for Jake to use for something else, but I'll double-check after work.

For the fan, that table sets fan speed based on difference between ambient temp and IAT, so you can kick up the fan to pull air through IC or heat exchanger while atopped/crawling. IATs heat up with no/little airflow, so you can bump the fan regardless of what it would normally be doing for engine cooling. Once you're at about any speed though, the fan isn't going to make much difference.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I wouldn't mess with anything in here for water pump or thermostat controls really (PID, etc.). You can play with targets/thresholds, but I'd just use the MHD flash time for overall engine temp scheme, it's set pretty well already. For the intercooling fan request, it took me a few tests to find a balance. 100% fan moves a lot of air on 335is, but if you get too aggressive on temp diff/fan speed, it will be screaming almost any time you're stopped until after you get moving again, once the IC gets to temp.

I haven't tested/confirmed all of these, just included pretty much anything I already had defined in INA0S, so use at your own risk.

Attachments

• INA0S (cooling).xdf
    75.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Love
Reactions: JohnDaviz

Muchkin101

Jan 7, 2023
Thanks for the idea, this seems like it is worth trying at least!

Have a street flash with maybe 20% min duty cycle and then a drag/dyno flash that would run it full tilt non stop.
I’m really wanting to do this with my 335i 2007 can you message me for help or text @502-909-4653

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
:disrelieved: Sadly this project has come to an end after an unfortunate accident! After the insurance settlement I've decided to move on, almost all upgraded parts will be up for sale soon, please stay tuned.
I have since decided to restore the car therefore I will not be selling any parts other than those I still have up for sale, thanks.

Reactions: Torgus

bantam

Corporal
Nov 20, 2017
Ride
2009 335i
I’m really wanting to do this with my 335i 2007 can you message me for help or text @502-909-4653
what exactly are you trying to do? I am not sure that I really ever got the fan duty cycle entirely sorted out.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
I wouldn't mess with anything in here for water pump or thermostat controls really (PID, etc.). You can play with targets/thresholds, but I'd just use the MHD flash time for overall engine temp scheme, it's set pretty well already. For the intercooling fan request, it took me a few tests to find a balance. 100% fan moves a lot of air on 335is, but if you get too aggressive on temp diff/fan speed, it will be screaming almost any time you're stopped until after you get moving again, once the IC gets to temp.

I haven't tested/confirmed all of these, just included pretty much anything I already had defined in INA0S, so use at your own risk.

I just checked the S58 Cooling tables.
1682587269419.png

N54 stock i think is known. So i played with the breakpoints and made this table:
1682587346790.png

I set the +1 and +2 DC a little higher than on the S58 table. I don´t mind hearing a little fan noise.

seb.apprenti

Corporal
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
I have some questions about IATs
Has anyone ever removed the intercooler and just used meth for cooling?
I ask this question because I have twin hydra HP650, intercooler 7.5 no name and two nozzles of 750cc for the wmi 100% meth
my IAT are between 16 / 19 degrees celsius, which I find really very good.
I wonder what the figure will be without the intercooler