N54 smoking more than Willy nelson

Eurofam

Private
Oct 4, 2020
Hey guys got a huge problem on my hands sorry for what will be a lengthy write up but the past info on the car could help play into any answers.
I’ll start by saying I had no codes prior to this.

I was getting slight smoking after building boost and at red lights not consistently, which I immediately thought turbos, they were stock at 140k miles.

didn’t drive it hard after or very often, I let my roommate take it to work for a day and he dumped a can of seafoam in the tank without asking, when I got the car back it was pouring white smoke out of both tailpipes, that’s typical with seafoam so I let it run for about 30 minutes and instead of clearing up the smoke became more intense and the 335 started running extremely rough. It threw cylinders 4-5 misfire codes and no boost. IT DID NOT CONSUME ANY COOLANT but it started eating oil, so much so that the oil light came on telling me I was a quart low.
I killed the power and immediately drained oil, it was low obviously but not mixed with anything or diluted. Checked coolant for peace of mind and coolant levels were same as before indicating no burning or lose of coolant associated with headgaskets or ofhg. Fast forward to after the oil change, started it again and within a few minutes same oil light like it’s still burning all of the oil. Same smoke as well. After it sat for about a month I had everything to change the turbos as I thought turbo seals blew and that was why it was eating oil.

today with new turbos, inlets, and catless vrsf downpipes it still smokes just as bad immediately upon start up and runs rough. Seems it’s still eating oil like it dumping it into the cylinders.

the shop I had do the turbos is working with me to figure this out and they suggested, replacing vc and vcg along with possibility of being injectors and not oil related at all but I doubt injectors could make it smoke like this?
I’m absolutely baffled right now and any input would be great appreciated.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
Hey guys got a huge problem on my hands sorry for what will be a lengthy write up but the past info on the car could help play into any answers.

I was getting slight smoking after building boost and at red lights not consistently, which I immediately thought turbos, they were stock at 140k miles.

didn’t drive it hard after or very often, I let my roommate take it to work for a day and he dumped a can of seafoam in the tank without asking, when I got the car back it was pouring white smoke out of both tailpipes, that’s typical with seafoam so I let it run for about 30 minutes and instead of clearing up the smoke became more intense and the 335 started running extremely rough. It threw cylinders 4-5 misfire codes and no boost. IT DID NOT CONSUME ANY COOLANT but it started eating oil, so much so that the oil light came on telling me I was a quart low.
I killed the power and immediately drained oil, it was low obviously but not mixed with anything or diluted. Checked coolant for peace of mind and coolant levels were same as before indicating no burning or lose of coolant associated with headgaskets or ofhg. Fast forward to after the oil change, started it again and within a few minutes same oil light like it’s still burning all of the oil. Same smoke as well. After it sat for about a month I had everything to change the turbos as I thought turbo seals blew and that was why it was eating oil.

today with new turbos, inlets, and catless vrsf downpipes it still smokes just as bad immediately upon start up and runs rough. Seems it’s still eating oil like it dumping it into the cylinders.

the shop I had do the turbos is working with me to figure this out and they suggested, replacing vc and vcg along with possibility of being injectors and not oil related at all but I doubt injectors could make it smoke like this?
I’m absolutely baffled right now and any input would be great appreciated.
What oil light ?
I would think after an oil change (done properly) , if any oil related light comes on, it would be oil pressure ?

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Who the fuck dumps a can of seafoam into someone else's gas tank? I am very versed in it's uses but WTF.

Hand him the keys and tell him to bring it to a shop and fix it. It left not smoking, now it is. His problem. In the mean time he can pay for your rental of equal value/luxury.

Reactions: SlowE93 and NoGuru

iminhell1

Sergeant
Jun 17, 2018
Find a shop that does actual diagnosis rather than new parts darts. By that I mean a shop that just throw possible parts on the car in hopes it's the problem. Some fuckin hick can do that in their driveway. You pay for good diagnosis, but it actually gets fixed.

When I hear is smokes on boost I immediately think of PCV, VC and Vacuum Pump. The crank case is pressurizing and forcing oil past the already weak valve seals.
The constant low oil light really sounds like the sensor is at fault (rare) or the wiring is damaged. If you're following it's advice blindly you may have overfilled. And that again can cause crank case pressure and oil leaking past the valve seals.

Like I said, find a good diagnosis and don't let them throw parts at it willy-nilly.

• Agree
Reactions: SlowE93 and Torgus

Itsbrokeagain

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Strong Island
Ride
E70 X5d, E39 528iT, E46 325xi
Two things to look at. Running rough I would look at fuel injectors leaking down or losing pressure. Second would be doing a brand new valvecover along with the gasket. Might have a gunked up PCV that has finally crapped the bed.

Eurofam

Private
Oct 4, 2020
I completely forgot to keep you guys posted BUT, it’s been figured out and needless to say I no longer associate with said roommate. So aside from the seafoam the smoking issue was due to blown turbos! My guess is the smoke from the seafoam burning made him think it was just seafoam and nothing more. Little does he know I have mhd gauges on a tablet and as you all know it records when you start driving hard. Checked the logs and found multiple, could see he was beating on it pretty hard. Never owned up to it so took a loss and dropped him. Used it as an opportunity, she now has 2 inch inlets, ARM intercooler, 19t turbos rebuilt with non-Chinesium internals before installed for peace of mind, 3 inch catless vrsf downpipes. A host of other maintenance and made sure motor was healthy still. So far so good and she’s better than ever!

Reactions: eriksbmw and Torgus

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
I completely forgot to keep you guys posted BUT, it’s been figured out and needless to say I no longer associate with said roommate. So aside from the seafoam the smoking issue was due to blown turbos! My guess is the smoke from the seafoam burning made him think it was just seafoam and nothing more. Little does he know I have mhd gauges on a tablet and as you all know it records when you start driving hard. Checked the logs and found multiple, could see he was beating on it pretty hard. Never owned up to it so took a loss and dropped him. Used it as an opportunity, she now has 2 inch inlets, ARM intercooler, 19t turbos rebuilt with non-Chinesium internals before installed for peace of mind, 3 inch catless vrsf downpipes. A host of other maintenance and made sure motor was healthy still. So far so good and she’s better than ever!

didn’t drive it hard after or very often, I let my roommate take it to work for a day and he dumped a can of seafoam in the tank without asking, when I got the car back .....

today with new turbos, inlets, and catless vrsf downpipes it still smokes
Confused here.

Eurofam

Private
Oct 4, 2020
Confused here.
Roommate killed the new stock turbos I had in it, seafoam in the gas tank and oil caused the seals to prematurely fail along with hard driving. Had the shop install bigger twins after that, new inlets as well as I found tears in the other ones

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
So you had 140k miles stock snails and were smoking PRIOR to you lending your buddy the car ??? Then you blame him for smoking turbos ? Then after a month you replace turbos and say that car is STILL smoking.
Then you say you went Chinesium turbos with non Chinesium internals and car runs great.
And all this is your buddies fault ???
Letting him drive a car with 140,000 mile stock turbos with what ? Ots tune ? You mentioned MHD so.... with 25% to 50% more boost OVER factory tune.
Sounds like a set up to me.
So after car sat for a month and you had new turbos installed and you said it still smoked.....that was his fault too im sure. Nothing to do with the shop that did install, or turbos themselves 🙄
Im sure your "friend" does not miss you.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
Roommate killed the new stock turbos I had in it, seafoam in the gas tank and oil caused the seals to prematurely fail along with hard driving. Had the shop install bigger twins after that, new inlets as well as I found tears in the other ones
Thats not what I read in first post. Either way, after you replaced, you said it STILL smokes....on NEW turbos

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
You said he dumped seafoam into gas tank. Plz explain how that prematurely wears out seals on turbos in a day from sea foam in GAS TANK, NOT in the oil.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
Screenshot_20211217-002318_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20211217-002342_Samsung Internet.jpg

Eurofam

Private
Oct 4, 2020
No no you misunderstand, they intermittently smoked on decel like when you start on a cold day and it’s kind of vaporish not full on thick white smoke associated with blown turbos until after I got it back, was also not aware it was in the oil either, which isn’t meant to be added for long term use only if your going to flush it after, that sped up the process of blown seals on the original turbos. I kept some details out to keep it short-ish. The “new” turbos I had the shop install were from said “buddy” hence the month waiting period. Those “new” turbos that I paid to have installed weren’t out of the box brand new. Just “refurbished” which you know you typically think refurbished means taken apart and new internals right? Well I accepted them cause I trusted him thought he went out of his way to get me good turbos and the replacements were not good. I’m talking he cleaned them took them apart without having any mechanical knowledge slapped them back together without rebuilt internals and didn’t bother saying anything at the time of and prior to install. SO I thought “new” turbos couldn’t be the issue right? Well fast forward to now and like I said shop was working with me I had those “new” turbos taken out and replaced with the current 19ts at a discount because I already had them do the job once before. So to get this straight oem turbos we’re killed. they’re weren’t prior to the event, didn’t believe replacements were bad as well so asked here for other solutions. Only to find out the replacements were also the issue. And to clarify mhd is not the tune I use it solely to monitor the car 😐