N54 Knock Table Discovery Fund

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
what all is involved in testing?

A solid tuning background (w/ knowledge outside the modern BMW world), det-cans or similar, dyne time, etc. Basically looking for someone who would also be technically capable of setting up knock detection on a standalone ECU.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I believe so, along with a few others. Launch control for AT comes to mind.
How would launch control even work for an AT? They have a torque converter which can't be changed by programming.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Its available to a tester who can prove they have the tools and skills required to properly test it. Apparently such person hasn't stepped forward.

This right here ^^^. Everyone "wants" it, but no one then wants to take the time on dyno to properly use the new tools at their disposal. This was never going to be a magical fix. I can provide all the tables and logging params, but someone still needs to spend hours on a dyno with a built motor car logging and slowly changing them.

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
This right here ^^^. Everyone "wants" it, but no one then wants to take the time on dyno to properly use the new tools at their disposal. This was never going to be a magical fix. I can provide all the tables and logging params, but someone still needs to spend hours on a dyno with a built motor car logging and slowly changing them.

If you're not going to share the data for the tables you have, can you at least list them? I'm kind of curious about a few things.

I have everything else to do the testing, aside from the rollers unfortunately.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
It includes all of these, and the associated 60+ logging params to properly tune the tables.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 5.11.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 5.11.00 PM.png
    734.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 5.11.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 5.11.13 PM.png
    185.8 KB · Views: 74
  • Sad
Reactions: SlowE93

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Would you say similar to anti-lag being used for launch ?
Yes, but you can't retard timing too much on the stock converter as the RPM is too low and not having the timing to push against the converter causes RPM to drop even more.

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
It includes all of these, and the associated 60+ logging params to properly tune the tables.

If you could send or post the xdf, I could do some non dyno experiments shortly. I think some of the noise related tables may help with the annoying high rpm cyl 6 misfires. max rpm for pre-window detection might be useful there also...

I have a built engine with je pistons so there's a good chance I may see some false knock. Can't say for sure yet, since I still have to get the engine back in the car. I was going to last weekend, but I used an 8 bolt crank for the new build and didn't realize the old engine was 6 bolt. New flex plate was delivered a few minutes ago, so I'm good to go again this weekend.