N54 Jewelry

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I'm doing the magic space tape, but no blanket.

Doing anything regarding the hood? I know most do not but most run a turbo blanket on the hottest part which you will not be.

I really think you will end up with a blanket and wrapped DP eventually...unfortunately I think they will be after you deal with the heat making your life a pita.

or
for instance.

We have all seen videos of red hot turbos. It is 1/2 an inch from your hood. I think you will have paint issues...if not other issues with radiant heat, no matter how much gold tape you use.

I think it's cool and it will be all blingy etc. but is your hood open much? No one ever sees inside my hood unless it is me working on the car. Even at car meets that I go to once a year I don't pop it.

Best of luck man but I would be very concerned. I hope I am wrong and you are right fwiw. All that chrome is going to look sick installed.

Last edited:

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
post more pictures!

I have had a delay in progress due to TX heat (130F in a garage makes for a dangerous work environment), other activities (my son is fond of playing in the sprinklers now days), and parts availability (my missing part should be in my mailbox today!!).

Otherwise I'll spend some time working tomorrow as there is supposed to be rain in the forecast dropping the temps and making my son want to stay inside :)

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
I put in a portable AC. The kind on wheels that looks like a dehumidifier.

Does pretty well in my 2 car garage if I plan my work and keep the door closed up.

Added a large ceiling hanging shop fan too.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I have had a delay in progress due to TX heat (130F in a garage makes for a dangerous work environment), other activities (my son is fond of playing in the sprinklers now days), and parts availability (my missing part should be in my mailbox today!!).

Otherwise I'll spend some time working tomorrow as there is supposed to be rain in the forecast dropping the temps and making my son want to stay inside :)

Jesus. That must be insane. I lived in FL and thought that was bad just walking outside and not nearly 130. I could not imagine trying to turn wrenches. A break job would beat the fuck out of me at those temps. I assume mechanics had AC'd garages? Must suck opening those doors up losing all the cold air. No thanks.

It was like 85 when I did my single install and was miserable, I ditched the mechanic suit immediately. 130 is dangerous. Even with swamp coolers etc. The amount of water you have to drink is insane at those temps. A guy at my work was saying how back in the day he could work 15m and then had to take a 45m break per company rules at temps like that in the south west working on capital equipment. He said the 15m were hell.

That turbo is going to hit 500F+ often and being 1/2 inch from the hood I am glad you are going with a turbo blanket. I know it sucks looks wise, especially with your shiny coatings ;)

This is kind of an interesting video:
About 1/2 way through they get to a real study done on an engine dyno.

You are going to love it once it is up and running!

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
Doing anything regarding the hood? I know most do not but most run a turbo blanket on the hottest part which you will not be.

I really think you will end up with a blanket and wrapped DP eventually...unfortunately I think they will be after you deal with the heat making your life a pita.

or
for instance.

We have all seen videos of red hot turbos. It is 1/2 an inch from your hood. I think you will have paint issues...if not other issues with radiant heat, no matter how much gold tape you use.

I think it's cool and it will be all blingy etc. but is your hood open much? No one ever sees inside my hood unless it is me working on the car. Even at car meets that I go to once a year I don't pop it.

Best of luck man but I would be very concerned. I hope I am wrong and you are right fwiw. All that chrome is going to look sick installed.

Those hot V engines have pretty beefy heat shield between the hood and the hot parts. An aluminum heat shield is way more effective than those paper thin adhesive tape.

16c1114_037-e1514914176513.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
There are some high temp carbon fibers materials though. RM1100 can handle a good amount of heat, and I believe is used as thermal shielding with an air gap on F1 exhausts, or was at least on the NA cars.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
You sir are very confused about the difference between carbon fiber polymeric composites and carbon ceramics. The carbon aspect is not what is limiting the heat capabilities in cfrp products, it's the polymeric matrix that binds it together.

As a reference base, I'm a manufacturing engineer and work with many different pmc and cmc composites in aerospace manufacturing.

• Funny
Reactions: Rcboosted2007

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Yea, if you keep going down that rabbit hole you'll end up at the carbon ceramic level of materials that brake disks are made from that can withstand 5000F. But as a general rule, 99% of carbon fiber you come across would make a terrible heat shield.

turrible.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: The Convert