N54 Community vs Others

JBacon335

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Toms River, NJ
Ride
07 335i Sedan, 1988 Mustang GT
Yeah it really is a quantum leap but I've had other cars between, just never really modified my daily driver until I got this car and knew full well what I was going to do. I still have my 88 T-top GT though and will be driving that when I put my Hydra turbos on and need to make a beer run or whatever else while I take my time on that

Reactions: fmorelli

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
On the topic of fox bodies, a project I plan to do in 2020 is a saleen SSC clone with either a turbo ls or a turbo coyote. I plan to make it a long term project, full restoration, new style dash, irs, big brakes, etc. As much as I like how the e90s look, I think a fox body is one of the best looking cars of the past 50 years (strong opinion I know)! The 2018s give it a run for its money though.

Reactions: JBacon335

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I remember the SSC well. Was out of our price range, but slobber factor was high. These cars were generally great. I crapped on all their shortcomings, mostly because I lived it pretty hardcore (we did 4 hour enduros with a Fox body GT ... good way to find all its shortcomings). But the cars were really the perfect example for enthusiasts. $14-15k bought you a new one back then. Tons of mods and a cottage industry in a time pre-Internet and when performance cars were non-existant unless you were a BMW guy. SSC was creme de la creme for the Mustang. My t-bird ran the same motor as the SVO - I ran 21 pounds of boost in that thing lol ... up to 105k miles when I sold it. 4:10 gears, subframe stiffeners, tokico adjustables ... etc. Maintenance was nothing but generic upkeep. Hardly E90 lol.

This was a photo I shot of the '88 turbo coupe when I bought it - only car I ever bought myself new, out of college. Shot it in front of my elementary school ... lol ... seemed fitting at the time.

Turbo_Coupe.jpg

This was the '69 Boss 302. Was the 15th one made, first day production. I love this photo - it shows a guy staring at the car. You can imagine this guy is thinking back to when he was a teenager and he saw that car in the Ford showroom.

boss302.jpg

I have a very short list of cars I am interested in these days - mostly because of the got the t-shirt and wore those brain cells out. After the Z4 is done, I'd like to do a Backdraft Cobra with a Rousch 427IR motor. I don't know that I'll ever get around to that. The other car I'd like is a 1968 or so BMW 1602 - it is the simple essence of a driver's car.

Filippo

Last edited:

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
I loved the T-Bird. My first car was an 84. All my friends owned Mustangs which suffered from wheel hop due to poor weight transfer. The T-Bird didnt have that problem and I swapped out my 302 for a 1970 interceptor 460 with C6 trany. Loved that car

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
N54 community versus others I’ve been a part of:
-Vendors who act like they are still in HS

-Vendors who charge you to beta test their half baked products

-Vendors who introduce something that has been out for every other platform for years and act like they cured cancer

-Owners who think that mods for a car that was $50k+ new should cost Honda Civic prices

-Owners who have no ability to do research on things that are well documented (omg guys I found jpworkz turbo kit should I buy it?)

Aside from that I would say compared to other communities everyone tries to keep everything a secret. It’s very rare to actually come together and help each other. Even when you try to give someone advice they will probably argue with you if it doesn’t meet their expectations of being a cheap ass.

JBacon335

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Toms River, NJ
Ride
07 335i Sedan, 1988 Mustang GT
I learned how valuable upgrading the rear suspension is with the mustang, now I wish the e90 hooked up like that monster

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I learned how valuable upgrading the rear suspension is with the mustang, now I wish the e90 hooked up like that monster
I read somewhere that you can use strange drag shocks on the E90 as a direct bolt-in. Not sure if that's true, but would be a nice drag upgrade.

• Love
Reactions: JBacon335