N54 Block Sleeving

Vdkk

Private
Sep 3, 2018
Ride
335 e92
Anyone have luck with darton and or other companies?

I can't get darton to answer an email. Which is painful to say the least.

So I'm looking for options.

Cylinder 3 had a mishap. And most walls look like shit anyway so sleeving is the best option to keep increasing power and reliability.

Pics for comic relief.
20181220_125815.jpg20181220_125746.jpg20181219_174633.jpg20181219_174621.jpg20181214_172257.jpg

chrisdfv

Corporal
Aug 29, 2017
Ride
E90 335i
Reactions: doublespaces

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
Following as well. My #6 ate the wall up, so its either. 5mm oversize or resleeve. But can't find public options for sleeves.

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
Darton works directly with VAC Motorsports but Rebello thru VTT is another great option and probably a lot quicker
I think he was trying to purchase a set, for a local machinist to do for him, that would be my assumption. Much quicker and not shipping a block.

Reactions: Vdkk

Vdkk

Private
Sep 3, 2018
Ride
335 e92
I think he was trying to purchase a set, for a local machinist to do for him, that would be my assumption. Much quicker and not shipping a block.
Yes sir. I don't need an unknown machinist to do the work when I have amazing guys I've used countless times in huge builds right here down the road. And I'm not looking to pay 50% mark up on some sleeves.. fuck that.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
What would you consider a success these days? Past 800 and everything gets murky no matter what has been done to the engine it seems. Hopefully that plateau is broken in 2019.

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
Yes sir. I don't need an unknown machinist to do the work when I have amazing guys I've used countless times in huge builds right here down the road. And I'm not looking to pay 50% mark up on some sleeves.. fuck that.
Yup, i feel you man. I have a local guy, we all use on our builds. And we get stuff at cost, since the major thing for him is the untaxable labor. Thats all he cares about. Markup because of a name is just crazy anymore. Its just metal, and i understand r&d but damn its overboard sometimes.

If you find some, let me/us know. I'll probably just run another stock motor. Or bore .5mm and fill 2" of the deck with concrete and send it.

Vdkk

Private
Sep 3, 2018
Ride
335 e92
Yup, i feel you man. I have a local guy, we all use on our builds. And we get stuff at cost, since the major thing for him is the untaxable labor. Thats all he cares about. Markup because of a name is just crazy anymore. Its just metal, and i understand r&d but damn its overboard sometimes.

If you find some, let me/us know. I'll probably just run another stock motor. Or bore .5mm and fill 2" of the deck with concrete and send it.
Aha close to what I'm about to do. Problem is can't bore this block without sleeves because the coating on the cylinder walls.

Darton replied to me:

"Hello, We do not make anything off the shelf for the BMW. We can custom make some for you if you can supply us with the specs of what you need. We do make those for 2 other shops which you can contact them. Race Engine Development - [email protected] Arsenal Motorsports - [email protected] Thanks
"

Basically the most retarded answer possible.
We don't make them. But we do make them.

I'm getting measurements tomorrow AM. And going to email them and get a price. I'll buy 20 sets if the price is right and list them for sale at 10% mark up to cover shipping and taxes. That'll piss a bunch of people off but oh well. Everyone's so hush hush let's only allow people to use 'our' sleeves. The motors are 11 years old now. Fuck that.

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
Aha close to what I'm about to do. Problem is can't bore this block without sleeves because the coating on the cylinder walls.

Darton replied to me:

"Hello, We do not make anything off the shelf for the BMW. We can custom make some for you if you can supply us with the specs of what you need. We do make those for 2 other shops which you can contact them. Race Engine Development - [email protected] Arsenal Motorsports - [email protected] Thanks"

I'm getting measurements tomorrow AM. And going to email them and get a price. I'll buy 20 sets if the price is right and list them for sale at 10% mark up to cover shipping and taxes. That'll piss a bunch of people off but oh well. Everyone's so hush hush let's only allow people to use 'our' sleeves. The motors are 11 years old now. Fuck that.
Probably because they have a deal with those two companies, so they can mark it up a ton and sell to the public. Go figure.

Im interested depending on price. The only thing is how much stronger are they gonna be compared to doing a deck insert with stock sleeves? Is it worth the price difference in the long run. And are the sleeves going to be running the full width across the deck to make it closed or just basic press in like factory w/ open. Theres so many options lol.

Vdkk

Private
Sep 3, 2018
Ride
335 e92
Probably because they have a deal with those two companies, so they can mark it up a ton and sell to the public. Go figure.

Im interested depending on price. The only thing is how much stronger are they gonna be compared to doing a deck insert with stock sleeves? Is it worth the price difference in the long run. And are the sleeves going to be running the full width across the deck to make it closed or just basic press in like factory w/ open. Theres so many options lol.
90% chance they are going to be a flanged sleeve. But... Look up block guards.. Easy closed deck without spending all the fucking money on one. Civic guys use them to absurd power numbers. Basically everyone does. I'll take it as a safe 700 dollar gamble. Oh and they are available without having to send your entire block in.

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
90% chance they are going to be a flanged sleeve. But... Look up block guards.. Easy closed deck without spending all the fucking money on one. Civic guys use them to absurd power numbers. Basically everyone does. I'll take it as a safe 700 dollar gamble. Oh and they are available without having to send your entire block in.

Ive seen block gaurds for civics but didnt think they made them for n54. I googled and found css, so maybe if you had good sleeves have them close it. Theyre doing boostedboiz block for the hondaru. https://cylindersupportsystem.com

3BarEvo8

Lurker
Jan 26, 2018
Ride
07 335i
Are you talking about a block girdle that you would press into the coolant passages around the sleeves? I know Honda’s and Subaru’s have good luck with them, looking at the design of the N54 i don’t know how effective it would be B series and k series have almost full floating sleeves with no bracing at the top, Subaru’s are not far off. Cylinders 1 and 6 on the N54 are all the way butted up against the front and rear of the block so they would have to be 2 pieces one for each side, don’t know how much of a difference it would makes on these engines.

arsenalmse

Private
Dec 5, 2016
Knoxville, TN

Darton replied to me:

"Hello, We do not make anything off the shelf for the BMW. We can custom make some for you if you can supply us with the specs of what you need. We do make those for 2 other shops which you can contact them. Race Engine Development - [email protected] Arsenal Motorsports - [email protected] Thanks"

Jeff, I just emailed you back with more information on our sleeves. Talk soon!

cebrailbakan

Private
Mar 2, 2017
Ride
2007 E90 AT 335xi
I’ve researched many times when I had the same idea. Sleeving is not a good option for our N54 engines, as timing will never be ok despite the best racing fuels, since because harmonics in the engine won’t be the same like stock block.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sshec152

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
I’ve researched many times when I had the same idea. Sleeving is not a good option for our N54 engines, as timing will never be ok despite the best racing fuels, since because harmonics in the engine won’t be the same like stock block.

Surely that can be tuned out?

i.e. Alter knock tables or knock sensors themselves.

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
I've been looking at various options, like partially filling the block with a filler. Probably no great for a daily that requires efficient cooling.
Looks like there's no way to support cylinder 1 on the N54 though?

A guy from Russia (I think) sleeved his similar M54

tisdrew

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
09 335i 6MT

In another popular BMW forum thread, a guy had pictures of his sleeved block and they were press-in type.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brule