N54 535i needs some help...

BIGOLTTS

Lurker
Nov 5, 2016
NC
Hi guys. If you have the time and technical acumen to help solve a problem or provide insight remotely and don't mind doing so, I'd much appreciate your input.
I have a 2010 e60 that ran into a problem after installing a set of inlets. Post installation, everything initially seemed fine. Drove the car conservatively to get the oil temp over 160 and then some, then I did a few pulls to check out the hardware.
First 3 pulls I was building boost but not quite hitting targets. I have a custom tune that targets 20 psi in the midrange and was only hitting 16-17psi during those pulls (hit target very well pre-install). After the third pull I noticed a whining noise coming from what sounded like the front turbo/inlet joining location. Hard to remember exactly but this lasted for the mile or so driving home that night, and then only in an on boost situation the next day or two before disappearing completely.
After that pull I have no longer been able to build more than 1 or so psi of boost even with wgdc at 100.
Here comes the brilliant work on my part. Instead of instantly and comprehensively working to identify the boost/vacuum leak, I tried quick fixes that looked like they might work (silicone connection not quite snug on outlet, that has to be it!) and then went out and tested, maxing out wgdc, probably causing my turbo(s) to fail. I drove the car for 4 days with little to no boost to/from work with no other noticeable issues other than no boost. Kept the car out of boost as much as possible and drove like a grandma (no offense to any of yours) the entire time.
While planning a chance to thoroughly perform the boost/vacuum leak tests, the car started smoking on me on the 4th day post install (having driven mostly calmly minus a few times getting on it to see if I had solved a boost leak). Car now smokes pretty much everywhere: at idle, low throttle, coasting, randomly in the middle of the night, etc.
My question is this...is it remotely possible that given the several days in between losing boost and developing smoke that I have not completely fried my turbo(s)? I don't know how that would be possible but it sure would be nice to hope. Maybe a big unidentified vacuum leak to lose all boost, and then a PCV issue after the fact? I know I'm dreaming but not really looking forward to replacing turbos especially after finding out that my after market warranty was capped from prior repairs (yes I know I'm an idiot for not knowing or assuming that since I'd had great luck before that it wouldn't come back to bite me).
Any inexpensive recommendations on how to best proceed? Thinking that best case scenario, if it's turbo replacement that's needed, would be trying to grab a used OEM set and then maybe get them installed professionally (don't want to F*** anything else up). Best route or price you've heard for getting that done? Or any other helpful hints? Thanks for any feedback homies.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
I wish I had good news for you but it sounds like a failed snail. You can get a new set of OEM's for $1k. Not sure if you're comfortable tackling the replacement job but it is much more intimidating than it is difficult. If you have the right tools, and a little bit of patience it is not difficult.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Very little chance both went but you might be ok. I assumed the noise continued. First things first, check chargepipe connection, then IC connection, then vacuum lines. Get the most likely issues checked and then can help digging in to further diagnostic. Post any codes that are showing (make sure auto clear off if running JB) as well

BIGOLTTS

Lurker
Nov 5, 2016
NC
Will do. Was planning that route but as I thought I had active warranty coverage still in place, thought I'd let the experts help. Would like to avoid paying them to further work it up if it's something I could do. Thanks for your help bud, will update when I get a chance.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
No problem. I'm saying this assuming based on a few posts, so don't take offense if you already have experience wrenching. I encourage you to start getting your hands dirty and building confidence working on the car. Everyone who owns an N54 absolutely needs to, otherwise labor costs and downtime will CONSUME you.

• Agree
Reactions: The Convert

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Start with the codes, that will help a lot. Go get the car pressure tested if you are at a dead end with trouble shooting. But the codes should be a good indicator.