N52 head swap, injection and vanos controls

Hobbs64

Nov 6, 2019
Ride
BMW
Sweet, now you just need an S55 block :)
Not to resurrect an old thread, but I'm wondering if theses builds went anywhere. Now that VAC has a closed deck option for the N54, this seems like the best of all worlds... until of course the B58 starts getting built...lol

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Not to resurrect an old thread, but I'm wondering if theses builds went anywhere. Now that VAC has a closed deck option for the N54, this seems like the best of all worlds... until of course the B58 starts getting built...lol

Absolutely. My N53 head and Hydra turbos setup is being installed now. Should be done tomorrow actually unless they hit a snag today.

Hit up Hydra. They are a pleasure to work with, one of the best vendors on the platform. And they have a (semi?) closed block in progress too if you want to fully build a N54/3 mutt.

Hobbs64

Nov 6, 2019
Ride
BMW
I'm actually building an N52 mutt. I like the VVT of the N52, and I'm doing a twin scroll single. I'm only looking for 600ish.

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
Absolutely. My N53 head and Hydra turbos setup is being installed now. Should be done tomorrow actually unless they hit a snag today.

Hit up Hydra. They are a pleasure to work with, one of the best vendors on the platform. And they have a (semi?) closed block in progress too if you want to fully build a N54/3 mutt.

Semi closed??? How so?

Hobbs64

Nov 6, 2019
Ride
BMW
Do you know if Hydra's block is a machined insert locking the cylinders in place at the top of the bore. Hydra, if you're still active on the forum, have you looked at VAC's answer to the closed deck insert for the N54? Can you explain how your solution differs? I would love to find a reasonable solution to the open deck of the N54!

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Do you know if Hydra's block is a machined insert locking the cylinders in place at the top of the bore. Hydra, if you're still active on the forum, have you looked at VAC's answer to the closed deck insert for the N54? Can you explain how your solution differs? I would love to find a reasonable solution to the open deck of the N54!
@Hydra Performance

Jan 31, 2017
www.hydraperformance.com
Ride
2010 135i 6MT
@Hobbs64 check out my build thread below, currently having a bunch of blocks machined with a fully (not semi) closed deck setup, some with and some without the channel between the cyl depending on requirements.

Thanks for the shoutout @ShocknAwe :)

Reactions: ShocknAwe

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
It’s to bad the n52 block is pathetic, but there are other obstacles that doesn’t make this a good contender. The block needs reinforcements, along with internals, and the valvetronic has it limitations. There are just much better engines out there to build with now, I’m sure a n55 would be a much better platform to work on.

Hobbs64

Nov 6, 2019
Ride
BMW
You're right, the N52 block is weak. The N54 block and internals are a better starting point. I will respectfully disagree with you on the valvetronic comment. The S55 also has valvetronic. The S55 is a very expensive engine to rebuild due to the alusil block. It may be a closed deck, but I've worked on one too many Porsche V8's to want to volunteer to play with an alusil block. The S55 isn't built to be modded beyond boost and software. I'm going to finish my build, and we will see how it turns out. At least there will now be pistons designed for this combination.

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
Wasn’t aware an s block was alusi, but there strong and robust for some reason. Those engines are supporting 9-900 hp, even if it is a closed deck design, there has to be other design advantages between the two. There has been a write up that it’s physically imp to bolt and sale that head to anything other than a n52. The cc’s and bore are 2 issues, but that n53 head may be a better option in the long run.

sheo

Nov 30, 2023
Hey guys I was just googling the main topic of this chat,
I have a e90 n52 in the garage with a bad vacuum pump or oil pump idk what it is yet because I'd have to tear it down from underneath and by that point mind as well swap it.
So bought a n54 sitting in the garage waiting for this day, I just found a local bmw x5 with all of the electronics I need for the swap.

I want to put the n54 block in the e90
N52 head on top of that
Initially Was wondering about the process to make that work, then I stumbled onto this guy selling the x5 for parts.

What else do I need? Should I do it or look for another dme ?
Initially was looking for the n54 electronics dme,cas,gouges etc so that it'd be plug n play with the n54, then stumbled into these "n52 head on n54 block" forums