My DAW 775RS Turbo Review

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I mean did it sit sealed or did it sit outside in a damp environment, etc? Was it primed on restart? Not defending the warranty denial but if it sat outside and some corrosion started I could see how it could damage a turbo.

Lol it's a tatic used by dodgy turbo builders to get out of the warranty obligations, oil will prime on the first or second engine revolution.

The only time you have to prime oil in an engine is when its first built or one has changed the oil pump.

All turbos are lubricated or assembly lube used whilst being built they will easily survive running 5 sec without lube, if it takes any longer than 1 or 2 seconds to prime the oil you have other issues or the turbos haven't been built properly.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShocknAwe

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
I mean did it sit sealed or did it sit outside in a damp environment, etc? Was it primed on restart? Not defending the warranty denial but if it sat outside and some corrosion started I could see how it could damage a turbo.
I have a garage behind my house were my cars/ engines sit. Plus I'm not really a fan of wasting money, and letting things sit outside. It's always a good idea to unplug the injectors and let it crank before 1st start.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I have a garage behind my house were my cars/ engines sit. Plus I'm not really a fan of wasting money, and letting things sit outside. It's always a good idea to unplug the injectors and let it crank before 1st start.
Totally unnecessary but there are lots of easier ways like pulling the coil pack fuse.

One should never do this as it can cause issues because connections get brittle from heat on injectors and coil packs.

How many times I've seen people asking for help because the damaged something from changing injectors or spark plugs when engines are dead cold, these things should only be touched after the engine has warmed up and everything has become soft and flexible to avoid potential problems.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I think Marty's response covered this well. I really don't see how turbos - they are sealed - would suffer such issues. I've never heard of turbos failing due to humidity.

How many times I've seen people asking for help because the damaged something from changing injectors or spark plugs when engines are dead cold, these things should only be touched after the engine has warmed up and everything has become soft and flexible to avoid potential problems.
Have never heard this one ... interesting ... will keep it in mind.

Last edited:

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
A lot safer, even if the injectors are spraying the amount won't be much even after a few cranks it will still fire.

It would have to crank for at least 30 sec to flood the motor, you only need 2 full revolutions to bring the oil pressure up.

But from memory the inj and coils get the source of power from the same circuit.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
If you want to crank the motor without starting you can also disconnect the LPFP by pulling the fuse, or disconnecting the power connector (easy) if you have a BPM4. First time trying to start the motor it will fire up for 1-2 seconds and die. Second time just hold down start for 5-10-15 seconds or whatever to run the oil pump and prime your turbos.