MMP stock block 1/2 Mile Record?

BamaGenoN54

Jul 23, 2017
Ride
2007 Bmw 335i MMP Stage 3
Hey looking for info regarding the half mile stock engine on twins mph record, One of my fellow MMP guys just turned a 167mph pass recently and I am looking to give that record ago also. Any info on that would be great. if you have info on any other n54 half mile records I can use those too, maybe gonna start a record book for this stuff. If you contribute please include if a dead start or rolling start was used, mph for start etc.. Thanks!!!

Reactions: Mark Winter

BamaGenoN54

Jul 23, 2017
Ride
Lets see where this goes 1st, really just wanting some info to get going on a plan to crack what ever the record is. Vbox'ing in mexico this winter for testing.

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
No its not, we ran 167.5 on a 100% stock motor that was actually down on compression in one hole, and GC Lites. Can we put this one in the list with Omar's "records" Does the car have the stock trunk liner?

As far as starting a record book, sure. The entries, fastest overall N54 in X. Then fastest manual, and fastest AT. Thats it. This fastest to the 5th power of mods nonsense, makes no sense.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
No its not, we ran 167.5 on a 100% stock motor that was actually down on compression in one hole, and GC Lites. Can we put this one in the list with Omar's "records" Does the car have the stock trunk liner?

As far as starting a record book, sure. The entries, fastest overall N54 in X. Then fastest manual, and fastest AT. Thats it. This fastest to the 5th power of mods nonsense, makes no sense.

Agreed 100%, I'm tired of all these disclaimer/qualifier statements and self claims of xyz world record. There's nothing more narcissistic and millennial than a look at me statement like that.

And on a similar note I'd like to see some sanctioning body come in and clean up roll racing. With all the differences in timing, measurement, start types (40mph roll, 60mph roll, standing start, etc) it'll make 1/2mi records of any kind difficult to quantify.

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
For the half mile "records" the only way to do it is from a dead stop, for 1/2 mile. Same as 1/4 mile racing. The rolling start 6ths of a mile stuff is bogus. Between Dragy and VBOX there is no reason to bother with airport timing equipment other than for confirmation for what your GPS device says you ran.

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
For the half-mile "records" the only way to do it is from a dead stop, for 1/2 mile. Same as 1/4 mile racing. The rolling start 6ths of a mile stuff is bogus. Between Dragy and VBOX there is no reason to bother with airport timing equipment other than for confirmation for what your GPS device says you ran.
LOL. really trying to sell that Dragy arent you. No reason to bother with airport timing equipment? I beg to differ. I will take what the equipment at SS says every day of the week, and twice, on Sunday over some GPS device om my phone. I had a Vbox in my car on multiple trips to the drag strip. The 1/4 mile it showed was always different than the tracks timing, so should just "not bother" with drag strip timing equipment, and just say hey I got the 1/4 mile record dragy says so? Timing equipment is there for a reason, its to be used, not discarded because you now have a device that tells you how fast you are going on your phone. As for the starting. SS is a 1/2 from the start of the run to the ending cones, if you want to start from a stop its a 1/2 mile, if you wan to start at the first set of cones, it's no longer a 1/2 mile. For NFZ its 1/2 mile from cone to cone, all this should be kept in mind when comparing traps, but not bothering with event timing equipment is a ridiculous notion. Unless you have a slip from the strip, NFZ, wanna go fast or an official email from the SS showing your ET / Trap, I do not care what an app on your phone says.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I think rolling starts are tough, but if you look at them for what they are good at, they have their place. They are not a head to head form of racing, but more of an individual measurement in my opinion. You're never going to get people to start at the exact same time or be exactly next to each other without nascar/indycar pit lane type governers in every contestants car.

I think that there should be beams at the beginning and end. Anyone going too fast through the first beams gets disqualified. Hold your speed until you cross the beams, a light in front will make that signal and you go.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
You're never going to get people to start at the exact same time or be exactly next to each other without nascar/indycar pit lane type governers in every contestants car.

Syvecs cough cough hahaha. It is one of the cool features though.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Syvecs cough cough hahaha. It is one of the cool features though.
Yeah, but most people aren't going to have that. I think that being clocked as you cross the start line is the best way. Speeders get DQ, those with syvecs have an advantage in consistency. To be honest, I can't think of a reason anyone would disagree with this method?

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
Shift Sector is the best about measuring 1/2 mile traps and ensuring they are actually 1/2 mile but its still not perfect, and most people don't race at the Shift Sector events. What makes the 1/2 mile trap comparisons all bogus is that most people run a lot more than 1/2 mile to get the trap. If that is controlled then I'm fine with it.

Also regarding Dragy it's just a cheaper, better VBOX. Using a VBOX is fine too but so often the runs don't even save so it becomes worthless.

Last edited:

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Shift Sector is the best about measuring 1/2 mile traps and ensuring they are actually 1/2 mile but its still not perfect, and most people don't race at the Shift Sector events. What makes the 1/2 mile trap comparisons all bogus is that most people run a lot more than 1/2 mile to get the trap. If that is controlled then I'm fine with it.
Shift sector is a standing start, right? If everyone would start from a stop at exactly 1/2 mile, or if everyone would start no higher than a set speed which begins at exactly 1/2 mile, I wouldn't mind comparing times keeping rolling and standing separate of course.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Does ShiftSector, NFZ, Wannagofast, Bob's drive fast at my airport, etc have any kind of standards regulations on their timing equipment? Based on the differing results, I'd say not. Are the 1/2 mile traps supposed to be the average of the last 66 ft like a 1/4, or is it speed AT the 1/2?

Tony, you're very knowledgeable, and ALWAYS funny, but I don't understand your post. You said there is the MT and the AT record, and that's it, but then you said the GC record was with low compression on one cylinder. Should that be listed as well? LOL There's always conditions.

Personally, I'm with Terry on this one - regardless of if he's selling Dragy. If it is comparable to a VBOX, but more affordable, why not? It's BOUND to be more reliable than the random airstrip setup by some people that want to collect what amounts to excessive fees to race.

Shiftsector results are only comparable on THAT specific track. Dragy/VBOX results would be comparable everywhere. I trust the big ole satellites in space more than the dude putting timing lights out temporarily on a runway. ;)

Reactions: BamaGenoN54

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
Shift sector is a standing start, right? If everyone would start from a stop at exactly 1/2 mile, or if everyone would start no higher than a set speed which begins at exactly 1/2 mile, I wouldn't mind comparing times keeping rolling and standing separate of course.

IMHO to be valid you must start from a STOP, accelerate 1/2 mile, and average the traps over the last 60' just like track timing equipment.

• Agree
Reactions: BamaGenoN54

BamaGenoN54

Jul 23, 2017
Ride
I can tell you guys from experience I had a 160+ run at wannagofast only read 141. They always have equipment issues through the day. I am thinking about finding 4 locations across the US and doing a sanctioned standing quarter mile event to bring this platform some true numbers and only subdividing records for 135at & Manual, built and stock and 335at & manual, built and stock. So six classes to get a record in

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
IMHO to be valid you must start from a STOP, accelerate 1/2 mile, and average the traps over the last 60' just like track timing equipment.

For standing half mile measurements, I see no issue with that, if this isn't how the standing 1/2 is done now, I'd find that very odd. Rolling 1/2 mile has no standard currently and that is the main problem with it IMO. If you can utilize the same standards as the standing half mile, with the exception of having portable radar setup to ensure the cars aren't going to fast at the moment they cross the starting line. This is more complex, but it gives some constants to develop the rolling start around.

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
Hey looking for info regarding the half mile stock engine on twins mph record, One of my fellow MMP guys just turned a 167mph pass recently and I am looking to give that record ago also. Any info on that would be great. if you have info on any other n54 half mile records I can use those too, maybe gonna start a record book for this stuff. If you contribute please include if a dead start or rolling start was used, mph for start etc.. Thanks!!!

Skipped all the replies I don't think they are relevant. I ask you sir is this the Montego Blue record or the Black Sapphire Metallic? Because SGM is for chumps and everyone knows Coral Red interiors only add fake hp.

• Funny
Reactions: dyezak and langsbr
Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
Hey guys I wanted to check, and see if this might be a Black Sappire Metallic, Coral Red, Stock trunk liner, BOTH fender liners, weather tech floor mats, Monster in my cup holder, 15"s in the trunk, bunch of change under the seat, rolling 1/2 mile starting from 37MPH 8 feet in front of the cones RECORD!!!!!! I ran 166.457MPH LMK

• Dumb
Reactions: sirdaft1
Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
I can tell you guys from experience I had a 160+ run at wannagofast only read 141. They always have equipment issues through the day. I am thinking about finding 4 locations across the US and doing a sanctioned standing quarter mile event to bring this platform some true numbers and only subdividing records for 135at & Manual, built and stock and 335at & manual, built and stock. So six classes to get a record in
If I had a quarter for every time someone posted they were going to start throwing race events....:rolleyes:

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
Tony, you're very knowledgeable, and ALWAYS funny, but I don't understand your post. You said there is the MT and the AT record, and that's it, but then you said the GC record was with low compression on one cylinder. Should that be listed as well? LOL There's always conditions.
Huh? Talk about not understanding someone's post. Saying a motor was low on compression is just to say, the thing was on its last legs, that's why it blew up last run. You make excuses when you lose. We didn't lose, if people want to talk stock motor records which is ridiculous, then yes we still win. As for the timing equipment, I would suggest simply emailing these companies. They will all happily reply to that. That you think SS which is the defacto events for 1/2 Mile racing, which brings huge companies searching for records doesn't have certified timing equipment is ridiculous. That you would also suggest you show up to an event, and use your own timing equipment, and call it valid is one of most ignorant things I have ever heard. As I said, let me head down to the drag strip, doesn't matter what my slip says if my handy dandy speed calculator says I ran X. I have the record. No, you don't, slip from any event or nothing. Three record classes, Overall N54 (for us it's more like the E9X overall record) then AT, and MT. Everything else is retarded