MHD teases N54 Antilag with the stock DME

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Notice the cabus io integration is supported by mhd plus. Has anyone tried to make Motiv Reflex work with this feature?
Would be great to have some dme controlled port injection&extra fuel pump
Yes, lots of ReFlex owners have the integration up and running now. The DME doesn't control the PI (yet), but it adds many safeties (like limp on PI injector error) and you can log all the ReFlex data via MHD. Also, currently allows wgdc control of an external WG via the DME, as we broadcast wgdc over CAN to the ReFlex.

Last edited:
Reactions: jzx_andy

bakerdou

Private
May 13, 2021
Yes, lots of ReFlex owners have the integration up and running now. The DME doesn't control the PI (yet), but it adds many safeties (like limp on PI injector error) and you can log all the ReFlex data via MHD. Also, currently allows wgdc control of an external WG via the DME, as we broadcast wgdc over CAN to the ReFlex.
Thanks for the info Jake. Nice to know the PI finally comes with dme controlled.
Gonna get my set of reflex kit and figure out the new tricks. However I did notice you mentioned MSD80 may not be completely supported regarding canbus integration functions in other post. So if my car comes with msd80, will the mhd+ new features be working just as msd81?

Last edited:

Beem335i

Aug 17, 2019
Ride
2007 BMW 335i
Hey @Jake@MHD any plans on revising the wastegate rattle fix option to make it more dynamic depending on your rpm/speed/driving conditions etc..? Similar to JB4’s alternative waste gate rattle fix?

JB4 has an "alternative anti-rattle algorithm" which does the same thing but in certain RPMs & driving conditions it adjusts the wastegates more so that there is less turbo lag overall hence "algorithm".

According to Terry from BMS "Feature is a few years old. Holds WG open at low throttle then returns to normal at 20% input or something along those lines. Works for some, not all."

Wondering if there are any future plans to improve/revise the rattle fix on the MHD platform as the n54s get older and this issue is more prevalent. Let me know, I removed the JB4 recently to test out the new update but I have to set the wastegate to 20% and I get huge lag versus when I was using the jb4 alternative rattle fix this is the only reason why I kept the JB4.

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
I felt like it was slightly more responsive and the antilag hit a little harder before the "jerkiness" update was released. Is that specific table available to be modified? Would it be possible to either add box, or somehow make it so it won't be overwritten by MHD when going to flash?

corbanistan

Corporal
Jul 26, 2021
Florida, USA
Ride
E93 335i 6MT
Hey @Jake@MHD any plans on revising the wastegate rattle fix option to make it more dynamic depending on your rpm/speed/driving conditions etc..? Similar to JB4’s alternative waste gate rattle fix?

JB4 has an "alternative anti-rattle algorithm" which does the same thing but in certain RPMs & driving conditions it adjusts the wastegates more so that there is less turbo lag overall hence "algorithm".

According to Terry from BMS "Feature is a few years old. Holds WG open at low throttle then returns to normal at 20% input or something along those lines. Works for some, not all."

Wondering if there are any future plans to improve/revise the rattle fix on the MHD platform as the n54s get older and this issue is more prevalent. Let me know, I removed the JB4 recently to test out the new update but I have to set the wastegate to 20% and I get huge lag versus when I was using the jb4 alternative rattle fix this is the only reason why I kept the JB4.
Take a look at "WGDC (Pre Control)" in TunerPro. I believe there are some other potentially useful tables for this not in the public XDF, I'd have to go look for specifics.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Yea WGDC Pre-Control A is the table you will want to tune to your liking, it gives the WGDC % used for low load driving.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
WGDC (Pre Control) is the table that the DME uses then the manifold pressure target is below ambient pressure. You have to guess a little as you can't see target manifold pressure properly in MHD logs as it only shown the boost target which is slightly different and doesn't read below ambient.

In BMW's rattle fix they just added a bodge into the "WGDC to WGDC position" table to just open the wastegates at low load request and low airflow. Probably why so many complained of lag.

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
3d boost ceiling set to 18.5psi, I'm still hitting 20+ psi using one boost solenoid teed for both turbos. Anyone can advise?

Attachments

• 2022-07-18 22_03_13 I8A0S MRKRAKA_3.bin.csv
    13.7 KB · Views: 25

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
@Jake@MHD just wondering what has changed in a new 3d ceiling logic when I rerouted vacuum lines? Why am I overshooting now? )) Everything was working nice until one solenoid passed away

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Your boost target is 18.5 as set via the 3D ceiling. Seems like your PID or WGDC base table needs work to keep it in check, as PID is not taking any WGDC away (in fact it is adding a percent or two) while you are 2psi+ over target.

Reactions: Sava666

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
Your boost target is 18.5 as set via the 3D ceiling. Seems like your PID or WGDC base table needs work to keep it in check, as PID is not taking any WGDC away (in fact it is adding a percent or two) while you are 2psi+ over target.
Ok. So I have 2 maps. Map1 is 18.5 and map2 is 23.5. If I pull down my wgdc base right now to meet 18.5, whats gonna happen when I switch to map2? Will i still be in able to reach 23.5 with lowered base?

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Tuning will be a bit different if you are using the airflow wgdc tables vs. the new wgdc control scheme, but you can tune either to properly meet your goal.

If using airflow, you can use the per map wgdc airflow adder to give you more wgdc in map 2. If using the new custom wgdc tables, you can literally have a column for 18.5psi and one for 23.5psi. In both cases you need to work on your PID.

corbanistan

Corporal
Jul 26, 2021
Florida, USA
Ride
E93 335i 6MT
WGDC (Pre Control) is the table that the DME uses then the manifold pressure target is below ambient pressure. You have to guess a little as you can't see target manifold pressure properly in MHD logs as it only shown the boost target which is slightly different and doesn't read below ambient.

In BMW's rattle fix they just added a bodge into the "WGDC to WGDC position" table to just open the wastegates at low load request and low airflow. Probably why so many complained of lag.
The Pre Control table is also different on earlier software revisions vs. 1M and IS versions.. I believe BMW set around half the cells to 0 to help with rattle. On IS they're at like 11 or something like that.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
The Pre Control table is also different on earlier software revisions vs. 1M and IS versions.. I believe BMW set around half the cells to 0 to help with rattle. On IS they're at like 11 or something like that.
The 1M has a little extra since there are 2 pre control tables with very different values. 1 is only active when MDrive is active.

The MDrive table should make the car more snappy when transitioning into boost and also alter the exhaust note. Probably adds rattle though.

corbanistan

Corporal
Jul 26, 2021
Florida, USA
Ride
E93 335i 6MT
The 1M has a little extra since there are 2 pre control tables with very different values. 1 is only active when MDrive is active.

The MDrive table should make the car more snappy when transitioning into boost and also alter the exhaust note. Probably adds rattle though.
Are you saying more WGDC changes exhaust sound?

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
Are you saying more WGDC changes exhaust sound?
Yes, having wastegates fully open makes for a deeper exhaust note. Like when you drive with the vacuum hoses disconnected.

I believe the current MHD rattle fix does this. The higher the rattle fix the more the wastegates are open. I could be mistaken though.

Reactions: corbanistan

Beem335i

Aug 17, 2019
Ride
2007 BMW 335i
Yes, having wastegates fully open makes for a deeper exhaust note. Like when you drive with the vacuum hoses disconnected.

I believe the current MHD rattle fix does this. The higher the rattle fix the more the wastegates are open. I could be mistaken though.
Yes this is true I have mine set at 20% and my exhaust has a nice deep tone to it, but I’m wanting to change it to be dynamic like JB4 Anti rattle algorithm for the wastegates, my turbos still work as intended will be putting new RB’s in the future, but I have no experience with tuner pro. Using the MHD rattle fix just introduces huge lag, might have to reinstall the JB4.

Last edited:

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT

Is that second table defined?

Or can you make a screenshot of the values`?