MHD/NLS

Feb 1, 2017
I would say the conclusions are, for $199 you can get a 2-step NLS box that works perfectly.
I certanly wouldn't say works perfectly. As I said earlier anything that cuts (or interrupts) the primary charge will fire that coil early.

To give you an example, the factory coils charge about 2.5ms. An engine running at 7k rpms rotates 42 deg every ms. If you interrupted that coil charge a ms early you advance that cylinder by 42 degrees. That's enough to cause pre ignition type damage, and certainly detonation even with good fuel. With this platform moving to move powerful coils with longer charge times the effects will be even more pronounced.

The 2 step has a little less effect because of less loads and lower rpm but the same thing is still happening

You'll probably ask why we haven't "seen" a bunch of motors blown up from them, the answer is we probably have and it's blamed on other things like port injection or the tune ect.
I know of two local cars that have blown motors that were using NLS.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
I must say I never thought that when I posted this question that the answer was gonna be 3 pages long lmaoo..

Reactions: Jake@MHD

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
I certanly wouldn't say works perfectly. As I said earlier anything that cuts (or interrupts) the primary charge will fire that coil early.

To give you an example, the factory coils charge about 2.5ms. An engine running at 7k rpms rotates 42 deg every ms. If you interrupted that coil charge a ms early you advance that cylinder by 42 degrees. That's enough to cause pre ignition type damage, and certainly detonation even with good fuel. With this platform moving to move powerful coils with longer charge times the effects will be even more pronounced.

The 2 step has a little less effect because of less loads and lower rpm but the same thing is still happening

You'll probably ask why we haven't "seen" a bunch of motors blown up from them, the answer is we probably have and it's blamed on other things like port injection or the tune ect.

I put a wot box on my N54 and it did not like it. Wasn't running port injection, or e85, or anything fancy, just a pump gas tune with MHD / FBO / stock turbos. In the weeks leading up to catastrophic failure, the motor would randomly misfire and set superknocking codes, which I kept clearing. Eventually I replaced the Bosch plugs with NGKs the misfires got better but didn't go away. Didn't make sense then, kinda makes sense now.

Then 500 miles after wot box installation the crank hub spun on me. My guess is that my car had been money shifted in the past but didn't cause any immediate damage, and the crank bolt was looser than spec to begin with - but that's another story for another day.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
You're getting credits for these responses since you started the thread, so let it rock!
I think I deserve more credits though because I said so.. I think this is unfair I want to Re negotiate this credit system lmaooooo
Its all just not fair not fair not fair damnit

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area

No offense man, but if you say so. Yes everyone should stop using NLS with a coil cut immediately. This means all the drift teams, all the rally teams, all the road race teams. All of you stop it immediately before you damage your motors! The N54 guys said so! This platform never ceases to amaze me with how full of itself it is. Nothing the N54 is doing is new, none of it. Its all been done, and is being done on platforms the world over. When someone on the N54 platform steps up, and condemns something as dangerous because they think it blew up their motor (ala PI melting motors down, or how DANGEROUS a fuel induced backfire is on shifts) all I can do is shake my head. Yes the N54 is a special motor, it doesn't follow the same rules as other internal combustion engines. Oh wait.....

Feb 1, 2017
No offense man, but if you say so. Yes everyone should stop using NLS with a coil cut immediately. This means all the drift teams, all the rally teams, all the road race teams. All of you stop it immediately before you damage your motors! The N54 guys said so! This platform never ceases to amaze me with how full of itself it is. Nothing the N54 is doing is new, none of it. Its all been done, and is being done on platforms the world over. When someone on the N54 platform steps up, and condemns something as dangerous because they think it blew up their motor (ala PI melting motors down, or how DANGEROUS a fuel induced backfire is on shifts) all I can do is shake my head. Yes the N54 is a special motor, it doesn't follow the same rules as other internal combustion engines. Oh wait.....

These rally, road race, drift teams that you speak are using standalones to do it. Standalones, just like factory ecu's will not interrupt a charging coil, or fuel injection event. If not done through the ecu, they are on borrowed time.

Didn't you go through a few motors a while back with desynthesized knock tables? How many of those motors were using NLS?

Reactions: Thomas.billington

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
At what point is it considered vaporware?

I know in JB4 land Terry is actively working on a shift bog fix that doesn't involve pulling the clutch wire. Shame if Motiv were to lose some business if they get beat to the punch

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly

Just because you don't have it doesn't make it vaporware. It's running on multiple cars now, and the offer stands (until MHD release) if anyone is local enough to drive to me to flash it in person, they can have it.

I know in JB4 land Terry is actively working on a shift bog fix that doesn't involve pulling the clutch wire

Not going to happen unless he learns to modify assembly code.

Shame if Motiv were to lose some business if they get beat to the punch

Motiv? I work directly with Martial and do all my coding for MHD.

Bigdaddyaaron

Corporal
Nov 5, 2016
USA

I know in JB4 land Terry is actively working on a shift bog fix that doesn't involve pulling the clutch wire. Shame if Motiv were to lose some business if they get beat to the punch
According to Jake Y, he will flash the logic to your vehicle in person at his discretion (currently). And i've seen vids of people who've got the logic so it's def not vaporware.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jake@MHD

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
It's been a year... any update on when this 2-step/NLS/shift bog fix will be available to the public?

Us 6MT guys have been begging for it...

Been using the n2mb box for a bit. Works good for me. Just use the bog fix in mhd, and use the n2mb for nls/2step. Adjustable delay for how quick you are with shifts to kick back on the coils, and good 2step. But im also not going full out drag comp either.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Been using the n2mb box for a bit. Works good for me. Just use the bog fix in mhd, and use the n2mb for nls/2step. Adjustable delay for how quick you are with shifts to kick back on the coils, and good 2step. But im also not going full out drag comp either.

Did you read page 2 of this thread? It's been covered why that's a bad idea.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Just because you don't have it doesn't make it vaporware. It's running on multiple cars now, and the offer stands (until MHD release) if anyone is local enough to drive to me to flash it in person, they can have it.

You're in Philly? I might take you up on that offer after my shifter rebuild.

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
Did you read page 2 of this thread? It's been covered why that's a bad idea.
A little, skimmed some. But i spent a while looking into it before i actually picked it up, in several other posts/areas. If something happens with my motor, so be it. It gives me a chance to go built. If it breaks, so be it. I had fun in the process lol. Jb4 refuses to work with my car either, and i gave up diasnosing that as well.

If/when the mhd release for nls comes out, i got a few srt4 buddys who will buy my n2mb. So not a total loss.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Ha. I'll believe that when I see it.

You should listen to your father, big daddy Aaron. He's much wiser than you.

Video proof has been posted by numerous third parties, many times over now. Not sure if you're continued disbelief is ignorance or plain trolling at this point. You probably bitched about flexfuel being vaporware too, and don't even have it now that it's here.

suspenceful

10 Second Club
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i
You should listen to your father, big daddy Aaron. He's much wiser than you.

Video proof has been posted by numerous third parties, many times over now. Not sure if you're continued disbelief is ignorance or plain trolling at this point. You probably bitched about flexfuel being vaporware too, and don't even have it now that it's here.

I'll post more video proof if you can modify my flash as a "beta" tester. I'll send you the file. Would love to upload it to my YouTube channel so people get hyped for full the MHD release. Seriously. I'm dying without it. I'll pay to be a beta tester, I don't care if it blows my shit up at this point.

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
I'm not doubting it works or whatever, I'm doubting it'll be available in a month or two.

Flexfuel also took significantly longer than you estimated. And you're right, I don't have it. Nor do I need it or want it.