MHD Flasher review

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
I was the lucky winner of the MHD raffle. First a big thank you to Martial and Spoolstreet! Between my two 335s I have used jb4, cobb, bummerboost flash and MHD but only for a burger backend flash. I want to say this a completely unbiased and honest review. I was very excited to see how MHD would perform stand alone because I have had nothing but issues flashing my 2007 335i kline car. The cobb OTS maps had horrible throttle closures. The only solution was to have the car protuned. As for the bummerboost flash half of the time it would have an error flashing and I would have to rewrite sometimes multiple times. Pretty sure this is a kline only issue. Now on to the MHD! For those who don't know everything is done on an android device. In my case, my phone. I installed it on my 2007 FBO/GC lites manual trans 335i. From the time I downloaded the app everything has worked flawlessly. My stock map took next to no time and the initial write took a hair under 17 minutes. When making small changes such as wastegate rattle fix or raising the idle the flash takes right around a minute. Changes such as raising the idle, adjusting for wastegate rattle, and exhaust burble are very easy to change. As for performance, the car runs excellent. I was pleasantly surprised how smooth the car ran. It feels like a stock car with a ton of power. As for the logging it is very straight forward to use and works perfect! You can change the layout and what you want to see in real time. This is a big upgrade from when I was using my cobb and only able to view one value at a time. Another feature that I have used a lot already is the graph a log feature. It brings up a datazap like graph for your log. It is very easy to instantly look and review a log. It is very smooth and easy to use/see even on my phone. I would not hesitate recommending MHD to anyone. Especially if they already use an android device. The car runs flawlessly and I am amazed how smooth and glitch free the app is. I will upload a few screenshots of the logging/graphing a log for those who don't know what the app looks like. If anyone has any questions please let me know. Thanks again Spoolstreet!

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
I did not, but I will try it out tomorrow. Partial throttle boost was very easy to control so I am curious to see how it feels. I have tried a few different maps but am going to put it back down to stage 2 to lower the boost. My fuel pressure is tanking in high rpms. I am going to order a fuel it stage 2 this weekend.

Reactions: ATL-IS-N54

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I did not, but I will try it out tomorrow. Partial throttle boost was very easy to control so I am curious to see how it feels. I have tried a few different maps but am going to put it back down to stage 2 to lower the boost. My fuel pressure is tanking in high rpms. I am going to order a fuel it stage 2 this weekend.
The boost comes on slightly delayed compared to without it, but it gives the car a bit more smooth feeling. When I have people in my car, it doesn't feel like I'm trying to floor it constantly. Gives you much more relaxing modulation ability.

e30sherm

Private
Nov 7, 2016
USA
Ride
'08 135i, 95 318ti M52 swapped
So the graphing is easier to view then with say the jb4 mobile app?

ATL-IS-N54

Sergeant
Nov 20, 2016
ATL ga
that or WIFI would be legit...

Now I want a new galaxy tablet and MHD... Currently DINAN stage 3, and have a Cobb AP with pro tuners on standby... I have throttle oscillation issues too, but they have gotten worlds better since my 6 new index 12s were installed along with a new cyl 5 coil (why always #5 ?!), and a walnut blast... I won't rant about that... Find it interesting you have had throttle issues too I guess. Nice write up

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
Yeah not sure why the issues. It was horrible throttle closures. Logs looked like a mountain range. It did run smooth on my 09.

Cheezy

Lieutenant
Nov 7, 2016
Toledo Ohio
Woah I had throttle closures too like closed to 30 at wot but I reset my throttle adaptations and it's better. I did the linear throttle and it's waaaay better for city driving, saves some fuel. The only downside I found to it is bringing up rpm for a launch is a little slower and you feel like you're pushing the pedal waaaay down just to hit 2500. I was going to the track the day after I flashed linear throttle and had to flash it back. I never went back to linear.

• Informative
Reactions: ATL-IS-N54

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
Woah I had throttle closures too like closed to 30 at wot but I reset my throttle adaptations and it's better. I did the linear throttle and it's waaaay better for city driving, saves some fuel. The only downside I found to it is bringing up rpm for a launch is a little slower and you feel like you're pushing the pedal waaaay down just to hit 2500. I was going to the track the day after I flashed linear throttle and had to flash it back. I never went back to linear.

Just to be clear I had the closures with cobb not the MHD. The MHD is super smooth even with the upgraded turbos

ATL-IS-N54

Sergeant
Nov 20, 2016
ATL ga
Yeah since my walnut blast and new index12s after 500+ miles adaptations seems to have adapted to the new capable injectors and is less and less exaggerated... I have A custom Dinan tune (Long story there) but they made like 14 revisions of S3 based around the false fact that I had proper injectors when I didn't... Glad MHD is the godsend everyone claims... The Cobb AP just excited me, so I bought it... I'll Probky get MHD on top of the other two and play with all 3...

***With MHD, can you run the water pump harder ?***

Cheezy

Lieutenant
Nov 7, 2016
Toledo Ohio
Yeah since my walnut blast and new index12s after 500+ miles adaptations seems to have adapted to the new capable injectors and is less and less exaggerated... I have A custom Dinan tune (Long story there) but they made like 14 revisions of S3 based around the false fact that I had proper injectors when I didn't... Glad MHD is the godsend everyone claims... The Cobb AP just excited me, so I bought it... I'll Probky get MHD on top of the other two and play with all 3...

***With MHD, can you run the water pump harder ?***
Idk about running it harder, but I know I'm about that mileage where it's about to go so I'll be replacing it anyway. Probably a good idea to think about saving up for it if you think you may have an issue

Cheezy

Lieutenant
Nov 7, 2016
Toledo Ohio
Screenshot_20161206-075029.png
Throttle closures might have been from traction control, no?
No I don't think so, x drive and most times it was from a 30ish roll. Here's a picture of a log so you can kinda see what was going on.

Reda1989

Dec 1, 2016
Montreal
Any wastegate rattle with GC Lites? Im just wondering, or did u try the MHD wg rattle fix just for the fun of it?

ATL-IS-N54

Sergeant
Nov 20, 2016
ATL ga
Idk about running it harder, but I know I'm about that mileage where it's about to go so I'll be replacing it anyway. Probably a good idea to think about saving up for it if you think you may have an issue
No I'm still just over 40k miles... I want to be able to run the water pump harder like the Dinan tune does to compensate for extra heat generated... I've heard of them going out as early as 25k, but those cases are fairly limited...

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
They did have rattle when reving with the MHD base map. With the stock flash I did not realize any rattle. With MHD and wastegate rattle fix it is dead quiet.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
You know I realized I have rattle as well. Only when I have my door open when I start or stop the car, so I'll have to check that out.