Methanol blends Vs ethanol blends

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
I used to not have easy access, closest station was 1.5 hours away. The good thing was I had family there so once a month I'd drive down and leave with a full tank and about 20 gallons in cans. When I got home I'd just top off on pump and have a mix. It would last 4-6 weeks with an e30-e40 mix no problem, was kinda annoying though.

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
For DI you should expect similar results from M20 as you would E30 from a knock suppression point view. Also that relative ratio will end up with a similar load on the fuel system from a volume point of view.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I'd imagine 20% methanol in the tank is too corrosive for a daily drive car, would you agree?

Last edited:

Arhoads335i

Private
Jul 14, 2017
Ride
335i
Man I live in the central jersey area I should put a huge container on the back of my 6.0 powerstroke and deliver e85 for a buisness

Reactions: Jeffman

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Let me know when your route takes you through Center City Philadelphia:)

Seriously, I wonder how many people there are in the Philadelphia metropolitan area who would buy E85 and/or race fuel on a regular basis? Maybe we should open a race gas station here? With VAC and Helix Motorsports right here in Philly, NJMP in South Jersey, Englishtown Raceway in Central Jersey, Pocono Raceway, Dover Downs in Delaware, and all the local clubs (BMW, Mini, Porsche, Subi, Audi, Mustang, etc) you'd think there'd be a sustainable market for high-octane fuel around here?!?

Keep a lookout for a poll asking this question on this and other car enthusiast's forums. I'd consider going into this business if the numbers work out.

Torn08

Lurker
Mar 23, 2017
Ride
E93
Philly area, mighty Joe's on RT 206 in South Jersey has e85. Nice weekend drive no traffic

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
I also lack easy amiable e85 (Philly area) , but Ive been tossing the idea of using one of the 50 gal drums from work that used to hold all purpose cleaner or washer solvent and cleaning it out and throwing it in the back of my truck and filling it up with E85 from one of the pumps that's 30+ mins away lol.

What pump do you use? Omega id assume?

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
I'd imagine 20% methanol in the tank is too corrosive for a daily drive car, would you agree?

Sorry no idea at what point it becomes too corrosive. I wouldn't want to handle that much methanol regularly if it were me.