M3 KOMBI Virginizing (DIY!!)

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
The fact that you're way off topic and forcing the conversation into a different direction (i.e. derailing the conversation). If you want to start a "why should i put an m3 KOMBI in my car thread" sounds like you have an ax to grind with that topic.

Nah, just the hush hush type vibe of the thread with the ignoring members relevant questions kind of rubbed me the wrong way is all. I wasn't aware of any advantage other than the white + rpm lighting (obviously some nefarious mil. tinkering as well) but it sounds like you believe there is. Gives me something to look in to I suppose lol.

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
Nah, just the hush hush type vibe of the thread with the ignoring members relevant questions kind of rubbed me the wrong way is all. I wasn't aware of any advantage other than the white + rpm lighting (obviously some nefarious mil. tinkering as well) but it sounds like you believe there is. Gives me something to look in to I suppose lol.
You don't need to believe there is because there is. When you're in the middle of a full on M3 GWS, TCU flash, DSC, KOMBI retrofit featuring MDrive and MDM you'll understand.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Nah, just the hush hush type vibe of the thread with the ignoring members relevant questions kind of rubbed me the wrong way is all.

Just because a post got missed doesn't imply some sort of conspiracy or being ignored on purpose.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Could someone please just post the fucking reason to does this retrofit?!? Ffs.

M3 cluster + dynamic RPM lights + DCT shift lights probs cool.
M drive mode with EU comp version of DSC software needs new column + coding, possible cluster is needed but never heard that was the case

I'm still guessing lights

Attachments

• IMG_0618.JPG
    IMG_0618.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 307
  • Informative
Reactions: The Convert

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
You don't need to believe there is because there is. When you're in the middle of a full on M3 GWS, TCU flash, DSC, KOMBI retrofit featuring MDrive and MDM you'll understand.

I 100% agree. I honestly just thought there was a possibility someone would have thought that changing one module could change anything without changing ALL the modules since they are programmed to work together. I don't know if someone is a pro or just tinkering hence why I asked what the purpose was. Best case someone would waste their time, worst case someone would F their car up. For the MAJORITY this is a "lights" mod. The freaking pretentiousness in this thread LOL

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
Could someone please just post the fucking reason to does this retrofit?!? Ffs.
There's a couple different reasons. If you want to retrofit a M3 cluster, whether for looks or whatever, you need to erase the VIN and the mileage from the Eeprom that stores it . It's a chip that you can't overwrite with the usual methods of NCS, Tool32, or WinKFP. If the replacement cluster has lower mileage than the one it's replacing it will take the mileage stored in another module. If it's higher you'll get the tamper dot. You can't code it with the VIN mismatch, you get a tamper dot, and it causes other issues as well.

Same goes if you just need to replace a unit that's malfunctioned and needs to be replaced. If you buy any used unit it will need this done or you can spend $900-1000 for a new one from BMW.

• Informative

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
M3 cluster + dynamic RPM lights + DCT shift lights probs cool.
M drive mode with EU comp version of DSC software needs new column + coding, possible cluster is needed but never heard that was the case

I'm still guessing lights
Shift lights won't work on a non M DCT car. Signal comes from the DME and our DMEs don't have that signal.

MDrive/MDM can be either US or EU software version. You only need to change two parameters to switch between the two. You definitely need a M3 DSC/ABS unit, a shitload of custom VO and parameter coding. and a M3 SZL for $2MA. If you want to see this on your cluster you'll need the M3 cluster as well.20180308_104627.jpg

• Informative

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I asked what the purpose was.

There could be over 100 different reasons or purposes depending on the individual or their desires and needs. Had your factory KOMBI damaged and want a replacement, want the looks, have a built engine and need a higher red line, want to show MDM on your full conversion, want the lighting updates, want the look of the M interior, I can keep going for a while here. That's not the purpose of this thread because the want/need is so varied that it is its own discussion.

This was a simple discussion. Does anyone want a guide on how to do it? It's a yes or no question that some people can't answer because of their need to point out how much smarter they are than others and why they don't need to do this in the first place.

Whatever.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Seems like a lot of work but if I had a dct n54 I would do this. The gauges do look very nice. Or something to do if you have a 8200rpm rev limit...

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
To answer the OP, Yes I’d like to have a guide. I like to learn whether I need it myself or not I might be able to help someone else at some point.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
There could be over 100 different reasons or purposes depending on the individual or their desires and needs. Had your factory KOMBI damaged and want a replacement, want the looks, have a built engine and need a higher red line, want to show MDM on your full conversion, want the lighting updates, want the look of the M interior, I can keep going for a while here. That's not the purpose of this thread because the want/need is so varied that it is its own discussion.

This was a simple discussion. Does anyone want a guide on how to do it? It's a yes or no question that some people can't answer because of their need to point out how much smarter they are than others and why they don't need to do this in the first place.

Whatever.

The effort to keep the thread on purpose seems to be for not as no one will respond "no" to any guide being offered. Actually outlining some of the reasons why someone may need it (as tedious as that was to get the info) added a purpose to the thread.

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
@dyezak I was able to clear the mileage and vin, reset via ncsexpert (process ecu followed by execute), but it seemed to take the E82 configuration. Any thoughts to what to change to have it reset to default M3 config?

EDIT: Got it. Changed VO to say it was a M3, then repeated and now all is right.

Last edited:

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
A DIY for this would have saved me a lot of time. It's not difficult, but not having to second guess or search for something long forgotten would be greeeeeaaaattt.

• Agree
Reactions: doublespaces