M-Drive and MDM in non M cars

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
really wish i could help you guys out but i have none of the m3/z4 hardware to join the fun...
forgot to put in a higher bid of a m3 cluster and missed out on a really cheap one... it sold for really cheap
my jbbf is still on the way and i cant do any of the m3 dsc unless i replace the whole thing but i am still trying to locate a cheap rhd one
You can just flash the DSC if that helps

Reactions: amg6975

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I think this issue is specific to M3 GWS/drive logic. The shifters do different things at different positions and there is no sport button. Program button in the bin may not be center console buttons at all either, but actually internal GWS switch position and sends different values on CAN depending how it's set for other things to use (like Kombi).

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I tried flashing with spirited set in all and it failed. I recreated and tried 3 times, so the only thing I can imagine is it doesn't like the checksum dummy generates for the changes. I didn't try with it off in 1 columns to change it up, but may after my blood pressure goes back to normal. I'm 99% sure spirited isn't a big deal though.

To clarify previous post, 1M Kombi does get irritated in D when coded to 2TC and no program button set and is fine in M, but no drive logic stairs displayed.

Part of the problem, aside from program values, may be that M3 bin may not send sport output to Kombi, which MSD81 uses for at least some things (sets LV_ETCU_SPT_SWI). I'm tempted to flip the script a bit and keep M3 GWS for now and try it with Z4 bin to see what responses I get that way.

• Funny
Reactions: AzNdevil

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
I tried flashing with spirited set in all and it failed. I recreated and tried 3 times, so the only thing I can imagine is it doesn't like the checksum dummy generates for the changes. I didn't try with it off in 1 columns to change it up, but may after my blood pressure goes back to normal. I'm 99% sure spirited isn't a big deal though.

To clarify previous post, 1M Kombi does get irritated in D when coded to 2TC and no program button set and is fine in M, but no drive logic stairs displayed.

Part of the problem, aside from program values, may be that M3 bin may not send sport output to Kombi, which MSD81 uses for at least some things (sets LV_ETCU_SPT_SWI). I'm tempted to flip the script a bit and keep M3 GWS for now and try it with Z4 bin to see what responses I get that way.

thinking out loud, try a z4 combination and set if you can get sports/sports+ mode to work which means tcu will change to sports mode i presume
add in canbus module to listen to for sport mode canbus messages and sent out 0x399 messages to trigger other parts of the car accordingly

Reactions: RSL

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Another CAN log will be next step before changing anything. IIRC, sport output to Kombi (when sport active in trans) is on 0x1D2.

Z4 bin should obviously work for MSD81 side stuff, but I'm curious if sport will trigger on it without any sport or console button (M drive CAN info or at least with 0x315 broadcast).

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
Another CAN log will be next step before changing anything. IIRC, sport output to Kombi (when sport active in trans) is on 0x1D2.

Z4 bin should obviously work for MSD81 side stuff, but I'm curious if sport will trigger on it without any sport or console button (M drive CAN info or at least with 0x315 broadcast).
i believe if the flags are set appropriately on dme bin side and all the other VO matches, you should be able to trigger sport mode
but of course you need to check/follow how sports mode is triggered on a z4, i think its just shorting something to ground or 5/12v?

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
i believe if the flags are set appropriately on dme bin side and all the other VO matches, you should be able to trigger sport mode
but of course you need to check/follow how sports mode is triggered on a z4, i think its just shorting something to ground or 5/12v?
Just one of the JBBF pins and FDS activated IIRC. That should send 0x315, which I can do without the wiring to test first. If the CAN way doesn't work, I'll wire in the switch...if it stays warm enough on weekends.

Reactions: AzNdevil

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
Just one of the JBBF pins and FDS activated IIRC. That should send 0x315, which I can do without the wiring to test first. If the CAN way doesn't work, I'll wire in the switch...if it stays warm enough on weekends.
yea that sounds great, remember to grab a canbus log ;)

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
@RSL whats the configuration of the car at the moment ?
iKMoS rom
M3 KOMBI
M3 tCU
Which DSC ?
which FRM ?
which JB ?

and it could be the CAN script... perhaps if you post it up we can take a look ? (I say we here because I wouldn’t have a clue what I’m looking at yet : D

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Maybe non-M bin won't run M3 GSW even with everything flipped. I was at the point it would've been faster to swap back to the stock GWS, but I can't find the connector for the sport button.

No errors from GWS, but completely non-responsive for gear selection and nothing showed on Kombi for gear, just empty. To boot, something in GWS was constantly broadcasting on CAN. It wouldn't go to sleep and I had to unplug it to even get a flash to write to TCU.

I'm flashing back to M3 as I type, at least until I can find or reorder the connector.

@RSL whats the configuration of the car at the moment ?
iKMoS rom
M3 KOMBI
M3 tCU
Which DSC ?
which FRM ?
which JB ?

and it could be the CAN script... perhaps if you post it up we can take a look ? (I say we here because I wouldn’t have a clue what I’m looking at yet : D
IKM0S, 1M DSC, M3 Kombi with DZM set to 1, M3 CIC, 1M JBBF. DSC and JBBF are so I didn't have to rewire the button.

It's just a broadcast 500ms of 2 bytes, count/check and 0x32. I don't even have it set on button. I know the 315 registers in DME, but I don't think the M3 bin cares about it at all.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I should've mentioned, disable servtronic in 1M JBBF also.

After all that, back to where I was 5 hours ago and THEN found the stupid sport button connector under the seat. It must've fallen out of the glovebox. I could've swapped the stock GWS in 30 minutes, been on the couch the last 2 hours and had the Z4 bin in to play with the rest of the week.

Just because @aus335iguy is worried about it, my flashes back to stock and back to M3 all failed mid-flash at least once each lol I've got to stop using that old laptop, but I haven't moved everything to the new one yet.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I should've mentioned, disable servtronic in 1M JBBF also.

After all that, back to where I was 5 hours ago and THEN found the stupid sport button connector under the seat. It must've fallen out of the glovebox. I could've swapped the stock GWS in 30 minutes, been on the couch the last 2 hours and had the Z4 bin in to play with the rest of the week.

Just because @aus335iguy is worried about it, my flashes back to stock and back to M3 all failed mid-flash at least once each lol I've got to stop using that old laptop, but I haven't moved everything to the new one yet.
Thanks mate. That’s very reassuring 😂

• Funny

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
LOL I sweated the first one, but closed a bunch of stuff, killed processes, restarted the flash and all was well.

If you're out there flashing and coding all day, make sure you have enough juice left in the laptop before starting a 20 minute flash too. My first warning was it trying to conserve power 99% done and jacked up M3 flash between program and cal. Charged it up, just wrote stock calibration first thing when I reconnected, then custom and it was good to go.

amg6975

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2019
Ride
2012 135, 2005 ZHP, 2009 fJCW
I think this issue is specific to M3 GWS/drive logic. The shifters do different things at different positions and there is no sport button. Program button in the bin may not be center console buttons at all either, but actually internal GWS switch position and sends different values on CAN depending how it's set for other things to use (like Kombi).

Yes, the GWS messages in 0x198 are very different. The KOMBI does not care what the GWS is doing, the KOMBI gets its transmission paramaters from 0x1D2.

This is 0x1D2 for the M3 DCT., the non M is just slightly different

1611591745612.png

Sport mode in a non-M is bit 2 of Byte 3, 1 is on 0 is off.

I'm getting super lost in what is trying to be accomplished with Z4 stuff here. I thought the goal was to get M Drive working on a non-M car? Adding in Z4 stuff, and trying to also use 0x315 is going to really complicate matters. The M3 KOMBI, DSC, etc etc does not use 0x315, it uses 0x399. 0x315 isn't going to do anything useful with M3 bits. The M3 only uses 0x315 for EDC.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Yes, the GWS messages in 0x198 are very different. The KOMBI does not care what the GWS is doing, the KOMBI gets its transmission paramaters from 0x1D2.

This is 0x1D2 for the M3 DCT., the non M is just slightly different

View attachment 48582

Sport mode in a non-M is bit 2 of Byte 3, 1 is on 0 is off.

I'm getting super lost in what is trying to be accomplished with Z4 stuff here. I thought the goal was to get M Drive working on a non-M car? Adding in Z4 stuff, and trying to also use 0x315 is going to really complicate matters. The M3 KOMBI, DSC, etc etc does not use 0x315, it uses 0x399. 0x315 isn't going to do anything useful with M3 bits. The M3 only uses 0x315 for EDC.
Personally, I'm trying to get a damn sport mode in the trans that talks to/works with MSD81 side. That's where the Z4 stuff comes in. AFAIK, sport in the trans would be supplied by the M3 console power button, which goes to MSS60 and then back to trans to flag it.

There seems to be no equivalent to it on MSD81 and the extra M3 info sent on 0x399 doesn't seem to alert the trans either. It may just not be doable without more in depth changes.

amg6975

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2019
Ride
Personally, I'm trying to get a damn sport mode in the trans that talks to/works with MSD81 side. That's where the Z4 stuff comes in. AFAIK, sport in the trans would be supplied by the M3 console power button, which goes to MSS60 and then back to trans to flag it.

There seems to be no equivalent to it on MSD81 and the extra M3 info sent on 0x399 doesn't seem to alert the trans either. It may just not be doable without more in depth changes.

No, the Power button in the M3 does nothing to the transmission, it only remaps the throttle input. In the M3 all transmission settings are via Drivelogic. the Drivelogic button presses go to the M GWS, and are transmitted in 0x198, the transmission changes settings from there. 0x399 (from the DME) can over ride the settings by enabling M Drive, and the transmission will change to the settings in the 0x399 packet until M Drive is deactivated.

Here's 0x198:

1611603463552.png

Like I said above, 0x315 only controls the EDC in the M3, and does nothing in the 135/335.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I think @RSL is saying/thinking is that apart from drivelogic the tcu uses that DME flag to change shift behaviour over and above drivelogic ?

regardless, the focus of the thread was to try and get M drive on a non M.

I have a can bridge incoming and I plan to implement the @superwofy script first. I lol have the M3 tcu call soon as well Once in place I’ll combine the two and see what’s shakin

amg6975

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2019
Ride
I think @RSL is saying/thinking is that apart from drivelogic the tcu uses that DME flag to change shift behaviour over and above drivelogic ?

regardless, the focus of the thread was to try and get M drive on a non M.

I have a can bridge incoming and I plan to implement the @superwofy script first. I lol have the M3 tcu call soon as well Once in place I’ll combine the two and see what’s shakin

I'm not following your first sentence there at all. The DME just sends 0x399 with DriveLogic settings and an on/off signal. The DME has no no other involvement in the modes of the transmission. 0x315 comes from the JBBF, and would require a Z4 trans flash, and Z4 comfort/sport buttons wired into the JBBF. Possible, sure but not with an M3 flash.

There are three very unique control schemes and I do not think that any of them can be mixed and matched:

M3

Power Button controls DME "Sport" directly
DriveLogic buttons control DKG "Sport" via GWS packet 0x198
DME can override these via M Drive packet 0x399
0x315 is used for EDC mode, controlled by the JBBF

135/335

"Sport" button controls DKG Sport Mode via GWS packet 0x198
DKG then transmits its mode in 0x1D2, NFRM and DME use that to turn on the light and DME "Sport"
0x315 does not exist

Z4 (and newer cars)

Sport/Comfort rocker switch is wired to JBBF which transmits 0x315
DME and DKG use 0x315 to set appropriate mode.

• Informative
Reactions: dzid_ and carabuser