Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
Someone i know just broke his MFactory LSD

oh ok, what broke? I was just curious because ive had a M-Factory LSd on one of my other cars runing 550-800whp for like 10years, and have not had any issues. To be fair i have haven't really driven the car in a year or two, but theres still 8 years of use behind it.

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
Both were for a 6mt. I knew the AT are weaker, i wasnt gonna chance it. Was a gkn axle from oreilly, but now they cant even get them here.

Non OEM axles are usually total trash. Whatever you get at the parts store is never going to hold up as well. The materials will never be as good as what BMW spec'ed.

Reactions: twinturbos

Traf

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2017
Ride
135i
oh ok, what broke? I was just curious because ive had a M-Factory LSd on one of my other cars runing 550-800whp for like 10years, and have not had any issues. To be fair i have haven't really driven the car in a year or two, but theres still 8 years of use behind it.
The splined piece the output flange slides into, don't know what its called.

Last edited:

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
Non OEM axles are usually total trash. Whatever you get at the parts store is never going to hold up as well. The materials will never be as good as what BMW spec'ed.
But my gkn lasted hell of a lot longer than my expensive mfactory. Thats what im getting at. No reason it should of broken. I'll wait and see what happens with it warranty wise before i lose my marbles.

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
Are you guys all manual? Are you breaking on the launch? And are you preloading the clutch or just popping it?

I'm guessing yes, yes, and popping the clutch on the launch lol

• Funny
Reactions: SJ_1989

Coupes66

Corporal
Dec 26, 2017
Ride
BMW 335i N54
What’s the ring and pinion size of an m3 vs large pumpkin ?
The ring gear on a big pumpkin is 8.75" (22cm). I think a M3 is similar. I have been told the difference is in the carrier bearings. You can preload the tapered bearings in a M3 diff whereas the big pumpkin runs roller bearings and shims.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 72

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
I just broke a mfactory drivers side axle, on the outside like a stock axle does. Yet stock lasted longer..im hoping its a bad part and not just a bad product. 4 days they got used, in reality less than 20 pulls, and rest cruising.. No launchs. Just 40 rolls, and never any traction issues. Whatever that may be worth. Im now out a car before street car takeover on the 1st....cause shipping and warranty aint that fast.
Yep, just happened to me last week. Same axles, same place. Are you still running these ? Any updates ? MFACTORY axles are GARBAGE. My stocks lasted years before breaking. These lasted a lil over half a year.

Reactions: RuskiRacer

gmagnus7

Corporal
Dec 3, 2018
Ride
135i N54
Yep, just happened to me last week. Same axles, same place. Are you still running these ? Any updates ? MFACTORY axles are GARBAGE. My stocks lasted years before breaking. These lasted a lil over half a year.
No shit? I thought they were rated pretty high? Guess the ford 8.8 is inevitable for me then since I'm not a fan of the m3 diff. What's Mfactory been saying about these failures?

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
No shit? I thought they were rated pretty high? Guess the ford 8.8 is inevitable for me then since I'm not a fan of the m3 diff. What's Mfactory been saying about these failures?
Have tried to get in touch with them. I will try again on Monday. Im afraid to put another set on my car at this point. Cost of towing, breaking the car down, time, etc is just bullshit for 1000.00 axles as listed on their site.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
Yeah lifetime warranty is good. They fixed it twice. But you still need to take the thing out of your car and put it back over and over.. plus pay shipping. Better to just buy a part that works in the first place
Agreed. Getting stuck on the side of a freeway or at the track is bullshit.

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
No im not. I returned them got my money back, and ordered a stock axle from fcp. Has held up great so far. Granted its borrowed time. It still works much better than mfactory. Kinda disappointing. Maid in Taiwan as well. When they shipped my second replacement set, it was shipped from there. Just shit quality.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Ride
E93
No im not. I returned them got my money back, and ordered a stock axle from fcp. Has held up great so far. Granted its borrowed time. It still works much better than mfactory. Kinda disappointing. Maid in Taiwan as well. When they shipped my second replacement set, it was shipped from there. Just shit quality.
Damn, that sucks. I was thinking of going back to stock to get the car going again. I know stock lasted for years vs a few months with mfactory , And its not actual months. Mainly weekends driven lately.

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
Damn, that sucks. I was thinking of going back to stock to get the car going again. I know stock lasted for years vs a few months with mfactory , And its not actual months. Mainly weekends driven lately.
Well, if thats the case, Got maybe 3-4 days on first set. And the next day the 2nd set broke during a 40 roll. Just don't get it. Read elsewhere also the lsd isnt that great either on top of here. So m3 swap or 8.8 swap is the only viable option.