LSD - M3 lsd+axles+driveshaft vs Mfactory lsd+axles

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
So... 2 years later... do we have any better options for a stronger drivetrain yet ? I still haven't done this and I'm considering just ordering a full m3 subframe with driveshaft.

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
Do it once, do it right.
Beefy M3 drivetrain !
Orrrrrr buy the seemslegit kit, or lse90 brackets for the 8.8. Fuck having the m3 diff. What about when it wears out and isn't lsd anymore, or changing gear ratios? You still gotta have a custom driveshaft made regardless. The support for 8.8 is far greater than m3.

Traf

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2017
Ride
135i
Orrrrrr buy the seemslegit kit, or lse90 brackets for the 8.8. Fuck having the m3 diff. What about when it wears out and isn't lsd anymore, or changing gear ratios? You still gotta have a custom driveshaft made regardless. The support for 8.8 is far greater than m3.
I have a Drexler GT4 in my M3 housing, thats what you do with it.
As for the gearing, everything is available for this diff, from 2.91 to 5.43.

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
I have a Drexler GT4 in my M3 housing, thats what you do with it.
As for the gearing, everything is available for this diff, from 2.91 to 5.43.
Yeah, have fun paying for the gear swap compared to a simple 8.8. I never said they didnt make stuff or gears for them. Just not worth the time or money to sink into it, when you could've did an 8.8 for less. But, guess some people dont mind wasting money. I know without a doubt id find a way to break m3 components.

Traf

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2017
Ride
135i
Yeah, have fun paying for the gear swap compared to a simple 8.8. I never said they didnt make stuff or gears for them. Just not worth the time or money to sink into it, when you could've did an 8.8 for less. But, guess some people dont mind wasting money. I know without a doubt id find a way to break m3 components.
You sound so sure of yourself. Murica

Reactions: Griff500

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
This forum doesn't revolve around you.
What are the needs of the guy that asked the question initially ? Coz in the end we don't much care about being capable of breaking this or that.
Are you retarded? Did you read the part OP said
"What would you do if you had the choice and why ?" I never said it did revole around me?

I had a n54 with a docrace 6466, op has a 6266. I answered the question about what I WOULD DO as per what he asked. And gave my opinion on the situation given i had the choice. And what I HAVE DONE personally.

I have personally ran 33 up to 45lbs, on a docrace n54 kit and broke 5 axles on a stock differential. Why spend money on a m3 setup when a 8.8 costs less and you SAVE MONEY. And its proven! You must like pissing money away. I don't. Why not start a gofund me for a m3 diff for o.p since you think its so glorious and our opinion on the 8.8 doesnt matter?

Dont come at me with your bullshit when i was answering the question. If thats the case, fuck it. Run a stock diff, stock axles. Who the fuck cares, since our opinions to help o.p based on experiences dont matter here. Have a good fuckin day. MERICA'

• Funny
Reactions: RuskiRacer

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
Just curious, what's your way of having the 8.8 for cheaper ? I've looked for some kits and can't seem to get my hands on everything I need for anywhere less than twice the amount of what the M3 swap would cost.

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
Just curious, what's your way of having the 8.8 for cheaper ? I've looked for some kits and can't seem to get my hands on everything I need for anywhere less than twice the amount of what the M3 swap would cost.
From what ive looked and seen on posts is about 1900 for a m3 swap at minimum. Then you got the guy above paying an extra 2800$ for a diff unit. So, hes got 4700 in his.

275 for lse90 brackets,
150 for differential, or less at pick n pull.
Couple hundred if that at most for local shop for driveshaft,
Then 1200 give or take for axles from dss. Or if you have a local source to modify them for you for cheaper.
So, about 1800. You can always make or source your own brackets if you wanted, save 275, and price varies for driveshaft modification. So youre still under what m3 is. And it'll take the power.

Since im gonna run about 1000hp, i chose the slg driveshaft, and axles, and a eaton truetrac.
I have 2100 in gforce axles, driveshaft, and 550 in the carrier, i also only paid 50 bucks if that for my housing, and 275 for the brackets from lse90. So, im 2900 into mine, with a guarantee i can hold my power, while the guy who dropped 4700 has a weak link of axles, and who knows what crap driveshaft he has if its just a modified stock one. Or if he has an upgraded and is even deeper into a diff swap. I dunno about you but, that's 1800 saved between him and i, i can use for small brake conversion and 15" wheels 🤷‍♂️

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I guess it’s because F8x diff has an electrical adjustment and would take some effort to do. Then axles and sundry items puts it into too many unknowns territory ?

Cruizinmax

Corporal
Jul 18, 2018
Ride
09 335i
From what ive looked and seen on posts is about 1900 for a m3 swap at minimum. Then you got the guy above paying an extra 2800$ for a diff unit. So, hes got 4700 in his.

275 for lse90 brackets,
150 for differential, or less at pick n pull.
Couple hundred if that at most for local shop for driveshaft,
Then 1200 give or take for axles from dss. Or if you have a local source to modify them for you for cheaper.
So, about 1800. You can always make or source your own brackets if you wanted, save 275, and price varies for driveshaft modification. So youre still under what m3 is. And it'll take the power.

Since im gonna run about 1000hp, i chose the slg driveshaft, and axles, and a eaton truetrac.
I have 2100 in gforce axles, driveshaft, and 550 in the carrier, i also only paid 50 bucks if that for my housing, and 275 for the brackets from lse90. So, im 2900 into mine, with a guarantee i can hold my power, while the guy who dropped 4700 has a weak link of axles, and who knows what crap driveshaft he has if its just a modified stock one. Or if he has an upgraded and is even deeper into a diff swap. I dunno about you but, that's 1800 saved between him and i, i can use for small brake conversion and 15" wheels 🤷‍♂️
This isn't to say the "M3" setup is better by any means but your pricing is way off on the swap.

The same companies that make your 8.8 swap axles and driveshaft also make m3 axles (Which are cheaper vs 8.8 ones) and DS. So no cost benefit there. You can find M3/4/5/6 differentials (all the same except gear ratios) for around 300.00. That's all that's needed for the M3 swap.

If you wanted to do the m3 swap cheaper you can get stock axles for 500 or less and modify the stock driveshaft for 1-200. Say 1100.00 all in with the oem lsd. Add 1000 for an mfactory lsd if you wanted to upgrade.

Really I think the big upside to the 8.8 swap is the additional mounting points as the diff cover mount on the m3 setup can potentially break if you're making that kind of power and launching on sticky tires.

Mvaccarelli01

Corporal
Apr 18, 2020
To add in on this thread, I picked up a entire m3 rear end and subframe of a guy off Facebook for 1200, it had everything included. I did go with a seems legit garage driveshaft which was 900 more.

so I was about 2000k in for my entire m3 rear end swap. I did pay more for all stiffer/solid diff and subframe bushings.

6266 28psi DCT 335IS
2nd pass at the track after swap was completed 10.64 @138 with 1.9 sixty (18inch r888rs)

granted I have not put it to the test with sticky drag slicks yet , it has done its job so far with 700 wheel and is complete night and day better over stock.

If I had a to pick ether 8.8 or m3. I would go with 8.8 probably but as in seems legit garage conversation I see a 4.5k price tag. I am happy with the deal I got. In the near future I will be going with drag radials to see how it holds up obviously there are better options then the clutch style on the m3 I guess if mine ever fails I’ll have to bite the bullet end open it up and put in a aftermarket option.

Last edited: