Loss of engine power

Vetracr

Private
Mar 16, 2018
Ride
BMW Z4
I have tracked my car and use track addict to log my lap times. I have been confused by the fact that my early laps are faster than my later ones. You would expect the opposite, i.e., cold brakes and tires. I just found out the reason. BMW reduces engine power as the water and oil temperature go up. For coolant the power reduction starts at 117 degrees C water temp and stops at a 10% reduction in power at 124 degrees C. At that temperature engine will only make 90% of power. The same reduction occurs for oil temperature. Power reduction starts at 148 degrees C oil temp and reduces power until 10% reduction is reached at 157 degrees C. Every new BMW I know runs hotter oil temps than 157 degrees C when on the track. I reach 165 degrees C all the time. That means I'm only running 90% power when I'm at the track. Has anyone else discovered this problem and if so, what have you done about it?

doublespaces

General of the Army
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Besides the obvious hardware upgrades a person could do, I'm pretty sure there is a way to adjust those tables.

Drawing blanks on who where I've read this.

fmorelli

Major General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
www.morelliguitars.com
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
You should consider installing an M-sport bumper. I think there is significant increase in frontal cooling area. When I get back home, I plan to do some measurements for @Asbjorn who is working on his cooling and air management. We'll make sure we post info.

Filippo

Vetracr

Private
Mar 16, 2018
Ride
BMW Z4
You should consider installing an M-sport bumper. I think there is significant increase in frontal cooling area. When I get back home, I plan to do some measurements for @Asbjorn who is working on his cooling and air management. We'll make sure we post info.

Filippo

Filippo,

I removed the Setrab oil cooler from the passenger side where the factory oil cooler is placed. I bought the biggest Mishimoto oil cooler that would fit behind the lower center grill and fit between the frame rails. I also added an oil temp gauge to the thermostat housing where the cooled oil returns to the oil filter so I have temp of oil going to bearings. I also added a water temperature gauge to the thermostat water temp input line. I'll let you know results after track event next week. Still doesn't address the computer reduction in power as a function of water and oil temp.

Larry