Technical Limits of Single Shotgun on full E85

LazyMe870

Lurker
May 16, 2018
Ride
335i
whats up everyone, I wanted to share some logs I've done with my car. FBO with inlets, FrankenTurbos, Fuel It 650hp LPFP, Single shotgun.

Revison 8

Revision 9

Trebila who is my tuner says it looks like I hit the limit at Revision 9, and asked me to lower my boost targets by 1, which was where i was at at Revision 8. Just thought Id share with anyone who is interested in purchasing the single shotgun, or going PI. IMG_1909.PNG IMG_1910.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: dyezak and AK135i

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
If you had a stage 3 and kept the lpfp at around 75psi on full boost the hpfp wouldn't dive quite so low, the lpfp pressure helps with hpfp pressures

Have you removed the hpfp filter yet have you drilled out your fuel rail ?

This will also help stop the hpfp diving

LazyMe870

Lurker
May 16, 2018
Ride
335i
If you had a stage 3 and kept the lpfp at around 75psi on full boost the hpfp wouldn't dive quite so low, the lpfp pressure helps with hpfp pressures

Have you removed the hpfp filter yet have you drilled out your fuel rail ?

This will also help stop the hpfp diving
Hi Marty, yes the fuel rail was drilled, and filter removed, all fuel lines upgraded as well. I wish i had know about the Stage 3 pump helping with the HPFP I would have purchased one. Maybe I'll upgrade down the road, but for now I'm happy with the current power of the car. We'll see how long that lasts before i switch to a stage 3 pump :grimacing:

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Its not going to be a drastic improvement but it will raise it a bit with the stage 3

eg instead of diving into the 9's on your jb4 HPFP scale it will stay around 10 to 11, how much really depends on your setup
but any improvement is better than none and is giving you a little extra headroom in terms of safety.

As long as it doesn't dive below 9 you should be fine, I'd prefer around 11 at its lowest and occasionally dipping into the 10's
at its worst.

Jacobniell

Lurker
Jan 11, 2017
Hi Marty, yes the fuel rail was drilled, and filter removed, all fuel lines upgraded as well. I wish i had know about the Stage 3 pump helping with the HPFP I would have purchased one. Maybe I'll upgrade down the road, but for now I'm happy with the current power of the car. We'll see how long that lasts before i switch to a stage 3 pump :grimacing:
Can someone please explain the task of drilling the fuel rail?
Pictures or diy...
Please
If you remove the filter from the HPFP you are adding an other filter?
Thanks

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Can someone please explain the task of drilling the fuel rail?
Pictures or diy...
Please
If you remove the filter from the HPFP you are adding an other filter?
Thanks

It's the hack VTT tried to sell as a hpfp upgrade years ago. I forget the size of drill bit and it really only gives you a little more head room but there is no reason not to do it afaik. Most people do not install a replacement filter somewhere else. Never heard people complain about clogged injectors.

Personally the little head room it gives you on the stock hpfp probably does not matter as you shouldn't be running on the ragged edge of your fuel system. Just my opinion.

If you search it is documented enough. Or maybe somene can post the link for you.

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
The funny thing here, I have a spare fuel rail, and noticed that the fuel intake is way small to the fuel lines to the injectors. I've wondered as I haven't found much info, except for the filter,,if drilling out the supply side would be benificial, I was going to do it anyway, looks to be a restriction to build pressure. Drilling would allow more volume,and prolong the hpfp? Just my thoughts. I also looked into using a smaller gear to overspeed it. The motor is out, waiting for turbos to be built.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
If you dig around ... drill fuel rail is a subject discussed on a variety of forums.

Filippo