Lets talk Aux fueling.. Shotgun or PI?

Clean WHP

Corporal
Apr 24, 2017
Ride
2010 135i Msport 6MT
In to hear what twisted tuning has to say!

so can anyone tell me what the limits would be of single barrel?

double barrel is just not worth the money to me, Id rather get PI at the rate of the double barrel + the fact I would need controller anyways for double barrel makes me just want to go PI instead.

But if the single can flow 670-700whp on an Emix, then it is very interesting to me

LazyMe870

Lurker
May 16, 2018
Ride
335i
Whats up guys, I just got the single shotgun installed last week. I see these posts all the time asking about the shotgun kit, and when i was debating if I should go PI or stay DI I wished there was more information, so I'm doing my part to share some information to help anyone else make their decision easier.

So i made the jump last week, my mechanic told me the install process was pretty crazy, instructions provided by VTT wasn't the best, and there were minor modifications needs. I am running Fuel It 650, Fuel It upgraded fuel lines, and Ethanol Sensor. Eberyones install might be a little different depending on what you are already running. I don't know the specifics of what my mechanic needed to do, but it wasn't anything major. Just some cutting here and there to make things work. I'm still in the process of getting some tuning done with Trebila, this log is the 3rd revision, on Map 3 on E80(according to the analyzer) you can see the HPFP start to hit it's limit towards the end. There's still a lot of tuning to go, but i thought id share this log now, we will be switching to Map 6 next and increasing boost to see where it goes from here. Also when i strat my car in the morning, the car kinda stutters before it starts, maybe from the fuel having to make its way through the extra fuel lines? I'm not sure, but thats my only gripe so far, I emailed Chris at VTT but he had no solution.

https://datazap.me/u/lazyxwizard/shotgun-3rd-log?log=0&data=1-4

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I guess I'll install my 6266 with a single shotgun and run it up to the limit so we all know what that limit is.

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Whats up guys, I just got the single shotgun installed last week. I see these posts all the time asking about the shotgun kit, and when i was debating if I should go PI or stay DI I wished there was more information, so I'm doing my part to share some information to help anyone else make their decision easier.

So i made the jump last week, my mechanic told me the install process was pretty crazy, instructions provided by VTT wasn't the best, and there were minor modifications needs. I am running Fuel It 650, Fuel It upgraded fuel lines, and Ethanol Sensor. Eberyones install might be a little different depending on what you are already running. I don't know the specifics of what my mechanic needed to do, but it wasn't anything major. Just some cutting here and there to make things work. I'm still in the process of getting some tuning done with Trebila, this log is the 3rd revision, on Map 3 on E80(according to the analyzer) you can see the HPFP start to hit it's limit towards the end. There's still a lot of tuning to go, but i thought id share this log now, we will be switching to Map 6 next and increasing boost to see where it goes from here. Also when i strat my car in the morning, the car kinda stutters before it starts, maybe from the fuel having to make its way through the extra fuel lines? I'm not sure, but thats my only gripe so far, I emailed Chris at VTT but he had no solution.

https://datazap.me/u/lazyxwizard/shotgun-3rd-log?log=0&data=1-4

No cutting is required for the shotgun install -remember, not all shops are up to the task -not always easy to find a good shop. As to the hot-restart issue, you need to figure out what cards you're playing with, i.e. how old is your pump, did you replace it, etc. I'd expect more fuel pressure than I'm seeing in that log... something is up.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Also when i strat my car in the morning, the car kinda stutters before it starts, maybe from the fuel having to make its way through the extra fuel lines?

I have the same problem actually, I noticed some of my LTFT are off by quite a bit so I'm going to reset lamba adaptations and check again otherwise I've got to figure out whats wrong there first. Also, what does 14 mean for rail pressure on a jb4 log? 14x100?

LazyMe870

Lurker
May 16, 2018
Ride
335i
I have the same problem actually, I noticed some of my LTFT are off by quite a bit so I'm going to reset lamba adaptations and check again otherwise I've got to figure out whats wrong there first. Also, what does 14 mean for rail pressure on a jb4 log? 14x100?

Bro I was going to ask you if you had that problem on the Facebook group, but since i saw this post I decided to post here. If you ever figure it out please let me know.
For the fuel pressure this is off the JB4 post on N54tech "Typical values at full throttle are 10-14, or 1500 to 2100psi"

LazyMe870

Lurker
May 16, 2018
Ride
335i
No cutting is required for the shotgun install -remember, not all shops are up to the task -not always easy to find a good shop. As to the hot-restart issue, you need to figure out what cards you're playing with, i.e. how old is your pump, did you replace it, etc. I'd expect more fuel pressure than I'm seeing in that log... something is up.
My HPFP has about 3k on it at most, but it is a rebuilt HPFP from FCP Euro

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
It's not just about safety, it's about performance, efficiency, and quality as well. The automotive industry moved from a carburetor to throttle body injection because TBI was better all around than the carb. We moved from TBI to port injection because PI was all around better. And we moved from PI to direct injection because DI is all around better.

And just like the PI revolution...where people couldn't figure it out for the longest....and they went back to carburetors. We are experiencing the same exact thing now. DI is better, but people are having trouble figuring it all out, so right now reverting back to PI (that we understand and can control) is the stop gap solution. And there's nothing really wrong with that, but lets all be honest about it. We aren't using PI because it is the better solution. We are using PI because we don't have full control of DI yet.

You can have full control over di but its costly through syvecs don't we ?

The perfect solution for di and pi and with all safety in place.

Haven't had a chance to play with one yet, I should have one by September if everything goes right.

But adjustable launch control is what I want and having full control over the engine is going to be awesome.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
You can have full control over di but its costly through syvecs don't we ?

The perfect solution for di and pi and with all safety in place.

Haven't had a chance to play with one yet, I should have one by September if everything goes right.

But adjustable launch control is what I want and having full control over the engine is going to be awesome.

We are in the same position with DI right now as PI was back in the early/mid 1990's. Back then we had control of the injectors (which is what Syvecs and MHD give us), but the fuel supply and injection components are still rare. Back in the early 1990's people were running multiple Chevy TPI electric pumps when they were draining the rail. There weren't many (if any) aftermarket fuel pumps that could run 35psi at a GPH rate sufficient enough for most people's HP goals.

In the mid 1990's Walbro came to market with what I remember as the first generally accepted aftermarket fuel pump capable of significant fuel flow while under the crazy high pressure of up to 40psi (190lph if I remember correctly). You have to remember, that was high pressure back then as our old carburetor pumps were between 4-8psi. Around this time you also had the Kenny Bell BAP (boost a pump) come to market which provided overdriving capabilities to your electric pump.

We are in the same position now. We have these super awesome Continental Piezo DI injectors that have enough flow (roughly 3300cc) for roughly 1300hp on full e85 at DI injection patterns. The problem is we drain the fuel rail. Right now our only real option (if you want to stay DI) is over driving our factory pump, or running multiple factory pumps. Even the other DI platforms are having this same dilemma (think C7 Vette)...they just generally overdrive their pump.

The missing piece is a universal HPFP that can be run across platforms like Walbro, AEM, DW, etc, all have with our "LPFP" options.

I do find amusement in the fact that the old school carburetor fuel pumps were manual pumps driven off the cam or timing chain, bolted directly to the engine. The move to TBI/PI evolved us to electric pumps. But the move to DI has caused us to go full circle for our HPFP and is is back to a manual pump driven off the cam or timing chain bolted directly to the engine hahahaha.

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i
Whats up guys, I cant make a decision on which kind of aux fueling I want to go with and its driving me nuts! My car will be running a VIE top mount with a Garrett GTX 3582R gen 2 1.06AR and my goal is 700WHP or so. I will be staying stock motor and Dont want to risk blowing it so therefore probably only running 27-28psi max.

I have never seen someone run the GTX3582R gen 2 on an N54 so not sure how much power to expect at 27-28 PSI. Im hoping the 1.06AR gets me some extra power up top but once again im not sure. I could see it making anywhere from high 600's to low 700's at the wheels.

I will be going with a dw400 pump for the LPFP, and I will be going full flash with boostbox. Now Im trying to decide if I want to add PI or go with a shotgun (single or double).

Single shotgun:
  • costs slightly less than PI when u factor in the price of PI + controller.
  • could probably supply my WHP goal when on e50 ish fuel and being fed by the dw400 lpfp.
  • is safer than PI
  • my local e85 pump has both 93 and e85 at the same pump, so mixing is not a huge deal.
  • on the downside it could cause my hpfp to go out quickly, but im not too worried about that since I could take the FCP euro route on the next hpfp.

Double Shotgun:
  • can supply my WHP goal with full e85 (a bit more convenient that mixing and perhaps a bit safer with being higher octane than say e50 at 700whp?)
  • is safer than PI
  • downside is the price is hella expensive and it needs a controller for hpfp which if ive buying a aic6 controller anyways I feel like i may as well just go port injection

Port Injection:
  • can support my WHP goal on full e85
  • said to be unsafe and risky due to PI controllers not being that great
  • priced decently for a set up that can run full e85 at 700whp (much cheaper than double shotgun)

Whats everyone's opinion and how likely am I reach my goal with a dw400, single shotgun, and E50?

That's a 67mm turbo 85lbs/min. Ive seen a Honda f20c (s2000 motor) make 900whp on that turbo even though it has a small 68mm turbine wheel. It's more then enough turbo for 700whp. I would just get a single barrel run e48 to hit 700whp. A clean easy setup and DME remains in full control.

Clean WHP

Corporal
Apr 24, 2017
Ride
2010 135i Msport 6MT
That's a 67mm turbo 85lbs/min. Ive seen a Honda f20c (s2000 motor) make 900whp on that turbo even though it has a small 68mm turbine wheel. It's more then enough turbo for 700whp. I would just get a single barrel run e48 to hit 700whp. A clean easy setup and DME remains in full control.

it has a 66mm compressor wheel inducer, and a 62mm exhaust wheel inducer, so I guess its technically a 66mm. and wow, I did not know it was that capable in the s2k crowd.. its listed as 850hp capable; not sure if that is crank of whp, but from my research their are some 2JZ guys who make low 800's to the wheels on this turbo when turned up pretty high (over 30 PSI) on a 3L stock motor. I know its a good amount turbo of, but Im only gonna turn it up to 27/28psi or so cause I dont want to blow my motor, so thats the only reason I wasnt sure if i would make 700WHP. I know this bad boy will make more than 700 at higher boost!

Last edited:

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i
it has a 66mm compressor wheel inducer, and a 62mm exhaust wheel inducer, so I guess its technically a 66mm. and wow, I did not know it was that capable in the s2k crowd.. its listed as 850hp capable; not sure if that is crank of whp, but from my research their are some 2JZ guys who make low 800's to the wheels on this turbo when turned up pretty high (over 30 PSI) on a 3L stock motor. I know its a good amount turbo of, but Im only gonna turn it up to 27/28psi or so cause I dont want to blow my motor, so who

You'll be fine you don't need 27-28psi to hit 650whp. You'll hit that number at 22-23 on e85 and you'll have room to push it. Here's the s2000 Dyno I was talking about.

Screenshot_20180517-220842.png
FB_IMG_1526609306928.jpg

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
the lazy cold start is totally normal on e85
Its Arizona here, been over 100 degrees with a low in the 70's and I'm running E54, so I don't think that is what is going on here. In actual cold temps with high ethanol content, yes. But not in the summer.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Did you check your lpfp pressures before you start the motor ?

Sounds like you might have a leak or bad tank regulator or a lpfp pump starting to go bad

Its the only time i seen a lazy start in those temps

Clean WHP

Corporal
Apr 24, 2017
Ride
2010 135i Msport 6MT
You'll be fine you don't need 27-28psi to hit 650whp. You'll hit that number at 22-23 on e85 and you'll have room to push it. Here's the s2000 Dyno I was talking about.

View attachment 11601 View attachment 11602
HOLY SHIT!!
Thats amazing. Any idea how much boost that s2K was at?

I would love to hit 650whp at 22-23 psi, that would be pretty incredible, but Im betting it does that at more like 24-26 psi, so we will see! So excited to see the results of this thing

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
I would personally wait for @jyamona to finish his testing to shut off the ignition coil on a cylinder when the fuel injector is shut off. That way there's no risk on a lean-out from a misfire causing the DI injector to get disabled while PI is still spraying. PI has some advantages as well; valve cleaning, easy to upgrade injectors and reasonably affordable.

Jake, any update on how the testing has been going?

Last edited: