Is buying an obd scanner a waste of money?

DnovanL

May 22, 2021
I last purchased an obd scanner from this site below and only used it twice to check the engine, I paid $149 to use it only twice, is there a better way to not spend this money?
product type: Autel Maxicheck Pro

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Yes, Autozone etc. will read codes for you for free.

MHD and many flasher apps will now read codes.

That being said having a reader in your garage can be VERY helpful if you DIY.

Traf

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2017
Ride
135i
Yes, buy a K+Dcan cable, use MHD or INPA, which is easily found on the net.

Nick380

Private
Nov 4, 2016
CA
I've got the Carly adapter V2 , was a back in the day beta tester, so I've got the license for life. Used it for just about every diag on any BMW to quickly read codes, and do simple coding (lights, doors, turn signals, etc). paired with inpa/ ista-D for everything else. Programming/coding ncsexpert, work32, and ista-P. Can find a Virtual machine on e90post (look up BMWcoding V3) with all software required. Free with a K+Dcan cable. MHD if you wanna use your cellphone for code reading/ adaptation resets. I've had the autel maxi pro, "rented" it off amazon for a little under a month, literally just uses same functions as ista-D provides...so no real benefit in my opinion. I did like the real time graphing though. Was good for analyzing MAF on a 328i.

Last edited:

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
carly license for life is literally 'for the win'. No way would I pay retail for that thing now! $173.79 every year? Highway robbery.

Nick380

Private
Nov 4, 2016
CA
carly license for life is literally 'for the win'. No way would I pay retail for that thing now! $173.79 every year? Highway robbery.
Yea Iā€™ve seen that. Never thought it would be so expensive šŸ˜…. It used to come with the license then. After the 80 dollar adapter purchase of course lol.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Protools is the biggest pita.

The thing cam really mess with your car.

I seen many people come to my mate to get t hair cars fixed after they really screwed them up.

For diagnosing faults it's not bad, coding i wouldnt trust it.