Technical Hydra Performance 135 Leichtbau State of the Art Thread

Jan 31, 2017
www.hydraperformance.com
Ride
2010 135i 6MT
@Asbjorn,
Not to my knowledge, from what I understood the wheel speed sensor was not an issue here, plus when I tried my E82 sensor appeared to fit the M4 knuckle without issue. If I may ask though, why would you consider fitting M4 knuckles on a stockish (suspension-wise) Z4? With the addition of these my car will no longer be a mish-mash of assorted parts and will effectively be all //M underneath.

With that said, here is the final piece of the puzzle, a set of custom-specced Intrax 1k2 coilovers, with DLC-coated internals along with their proprietary "Anti-Roll Control" shock internals. From what I understand this is similar technology to that seen on 15k Rally shocks which allow a flat ride over rough terrain while maintaining excellent wheel control @ low shock speeds. We'll find out soon enough if these live up to the hype, but based on all the reviews I've read over on M3cutters I should be very pleased :)

69825695_798385987245668_229156438184820736_n.jpg
69747243_2474563462757560_6085449912281989120_n.jpg
69906026_1361550153994631_7198233689082298368_n.jpg
70331871_423797021592488_7360171342169112576_n.jpg

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
@Asbjorn,
Not to my knowledge, from what I understood the wheel speed sensor was not an issue here, plus when I tried my E82 sensor appeared to fit the M4 knuckle without issue. If I may ask though, why would you consider fitting M4 knuckles on a stockish (suspension-wise) Z4? With the addition of these my car will no longer be a mish-mash of assorted parts and will effectively be all //M underneath.

I would consider them due to weight, M-kinematics and bearings.

What stockish-part about my Z4s suspension, leads you to believe I wouldn't benefit from the M knuckles? I would say the car is way past M in all regards except for the knuckles:

latest.jpg

Now, although the sensor fits, are you 100% sure the signal/speed is the same with those new lightweight bearings? Anyway, I guess we will know for sure when you hit the road! Any ETA on that haha

Last edited:

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
@Asbjorn,

With that said, here is the final piece of the puzzle, a set of custom-specced Intrax 1k2 coilovers, with DLC-coated internals along with their proprietary "Anti-Roll Control" shock internals. From what I understand this is similar technology to that seen on 15k Rally shocks which allow a flat ride over rough terrain while maintaining excellent wheel control @ low shock speeds. We'll find out soon enough if these live up to the hype, but based on all the reviews I've read over on M3cutters I should be very pleased :)

View attachment 30779View attachment 30780View attachment 30781View attachment 30783
Pretty

Jan 31, 2017
www.hydraperformance.com
Ride
2010 135i 6MT
Quick mockup of the thing actually inside my engine bay. Granted new end-tanks will have to be made, and the intercooler can still be moved forward another 6cm, but this project will require a LOT of time, effort, and $$$, and I will likely have to say bye bye to my enclosed airbox and "clean" engine bay appearance... Not so sure I'm willing to go that route to be honest, especially since any gains in transient response are likely to be marginal. What say you?

70647622_520000765494335_1058316732424257536_n.jpg

59744713_800439223662291_6724231718087163904_n.jpg

Reactions: marc and angu116

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Ah not sure man. That's an ugly bitch and if no/min benefit... Undecided.

Will it still need a forward heat exchanger in place of the FMIC? Wondering what the weight change would be as opposed to the 7.5" Race unit up there.

I feel like we discussed this in the past but memory is foggy.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Limited market, minimal gains if any, more connections and points of failure added into the car I just can't see it being worth the hassle. As said above if your FMIC is not enough to cool AITs add some meth.

Tha being said it would be cool to see ;)

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Limited market, minimal gains if any, more connections and points of failure added into the car I just can't see it being worth the hassle. As said above if your FMIC is not enough to cool AITs add some meth.

Tha being said it would be cool to see ;)
Someone else did it I thought but with that location it's not worth it cause you aren't really reducing charge pipe volume imo. You would need to get it where you keep stock location inlets and try put a2w on the hotside or just simply ditch the s55 setup and buy a 12 inch or 18 inch tube a2w core then maybe adapt a sheetmetal Im and cut it to flip the throttle body to the other side or just get a reg front facing manifold and use the run to in front of the radiator for a nice 24 inch core and then it would be close to the front mount heat exchanger. That actually seems best imo.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Quick mockup of the thing actually inside my engine bay. Granted new end-tanks will have to be made, and the intercooler can still be moved forward another 6cm, but this project will require a LOT of time, effort, and $$$, and I will likely have to say bye bye to my enclosed airbox and "clean" engine bay appearance... Not so sure I'm willing to go that route to be honest, especially since any gains in transient response are likely to be marginal. What say you?
While both are certainly impressive, imo the sealed airbox/stock looking engine bay thing is overrated especially if benefits are to be had like hotside intakes or if your Frankensteined CP/IC offered them. I'm usually a fan of factory-looking exterior mods but for some reason I like my engine bays to look #becauseracecar lol.

Any reason you arent pursuing the M3/4 style IM-mounted A2W intercoolers? I'd think now that we know it can be done relatively easily/with stock N54 parts, you keeping the standard IM, and being able to stick with essentially the best of the best parts for a turbo BMW that that would be something you'd be looking into more tbh. You'd stay on the path of a "custom M car", it'd require less work since youd just need new outlets and a CP fabbed, and itd be a badass combination with the N53 head + larger custom exhaust manifolds + your turbos and an 8K revving engine imo.

tisdrew

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
09 335i 6MT
There have been 2 (I think) people who used the same routing when they retrofitted w2a to n54 by running the outlets over the top of the engine to reduce overall piping. There has to be a 180 bend from w2a outlet to TB

Look at my sicc mspaint-turned-CAD designs

Attachments

• w2a.png
    w2a.png
    45 KB · Views: 56
  • Informative
Reactions: fmorelli

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
I just feel like should go aftermarket cause you have s55 guys upgrading for track. I guess the radiator is more the limit but with such a great setup and weight reduction this would have to worth decent power to be worth the weight.

JBacon335

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Toms River, NJ
Ride
07 335i Sedan, 1988 Mustang GT
Thought the elbow from the m4 would work on the n54 from what I've read. I would just do dual blowoff valves on the pipes going to the M4 A/W intercooler so you're not forced to cool the air just to blow it to atmosphere and it would simplify where to locate them rather than cram it in by the throttle body or put a hole in the intercooler.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Thought the elbow from the m4 would work on the n54 from what I've read. I would just do dual blowoff valves on the pipes going to the M4 A/W intercooler so you're not forced to cool the air just to blow it to atmosphere and it would simplify where to locate them rather than cram it in by the throttle body or put a hole in the intercooler.

Would the BOV wear out faster or just fail if located pre-cooler?

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Yep, thats the setup I like the idea of most too and the one I've seen. I don't know why an aftermarket S55 A2W IC couldn't be used too as long as it used the OEM mounting points which I'm sure most do.

Honestly this seems like such a great upgrade that would be fairly easy to pull off DIY, or for some vendor with access to an in-house fabricator to make a "retrofit kit" and make a huge profit. The kit could consist of anything as simple as just the charge piping, to charge piping + optional BOVs, to a full IC + CPs + optional BOVs in the case of a company who already has an aftermarket S55 IC (Forge has all of those items off the bat already essentially, I think EoS? has an S55 ic as well as in house fabricating, etc). It'd be hugely beneficial for anyone running on any type of track since you could throw ice and water in it for track days or run water wetter, etc. As a matter of fact I'm kind of shocked no one jumped at the idea of it as soon as it was discovered that the S55 parts fit.

Be the hero we need Omar, not the one we deserve. Throw away that Benz paperweight and make all of us without welding skills a retrofit kit, then sell that shit :tearsofjoy: I'll even help test fit the 2" outlet/MMP style version for ya ;)

bantam

Corporal
Nov 20, 2017
Ride
2009 335i
I thought about teaming up with a fabricator and a local shop to make some kits for the S55 style system, but I honestly think it’s too much money for the platform at this point. A decent aftermarket charge cooler (CSF) and all of the accessories to make up a kit are going to run are going to cost at least $3k, And a ton of install effort or shop labor. I can’t imagine many people biting on that when it basically costs more than upgraded turbos. even if you wanted to buy a stock charge cooler to save money, I would actually advise purchasing a brand new one from FCP euro since I have had so may problems with leaking used ones.

Also I think that Hydra had mentioned that he wanted the larger core from the Mercedes. I can tell you that you aren’t going to get much more than the csf style to fit under the hood sitting on top of the engine. (on an e90)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Hydra Performance