Help with ongoing TPMS inactive light

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
2013 335is

TPMS used to work. Began getting a system malfunction and TPMS inactive light sporadically after I'd been driving for 30 minutes at highway speed. Then after restart it'd be good until I drove another 30 minutes.

Discount tire changed 1 sensor, then all 4, and now the system is inactive all the time. As soon as I start the car it dings inactive and never fixed itself. Then they changed all 4 sensors yet again, this time using VIN-specified OEM sensors. Same fault. They've tried programming and resetting God only knows how many times.

The RDC module is behind the rear tire. I've changed that twice, both with used parts that worked on my other 335's (Both 2011's). Also tried having Discount program the system with the new RDC. no dice.

When I hook up INPA and try to access the TPMS section, it says wrong module found, program will be closed. It says it finds RDCKWP but expects to find RDC_60. This is the same error no matter what RDC module I have hooked up.

Can anyone offer any guidance? I want the system working, and working properly, I pride myself on always fixing the little shit but I cannot get this one figured out.

Last edited:

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
Is there just one RDC module, or is there one for each wheel? I've been fucking with the one behind the RR wheel under the assumption that that is the only one.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
There are 4 antennas that report back to an rec module. There are also diff variants if tpm sensors as well.

You need to make sure you have the correct sensor for the model year and car and I believe 2013 is a break year for sensors iirc

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
On an e92/3 the front tpm receivers are connected to the inside of the fender liners behind the foglights. On the rear, they are either under the felt belly liner or behind the fender liner, I forget.

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
Ok, so the RDC module that sits behind the RR wheel (Accessed from underneath the car after removing or loosening part of the wheel well liner), that is just a receiver for one wheel? There are 3 more of those? This is what it looks like:

FWIW, the information I'm gathering is that the newer cars (Mine) only have this one RDC module, located behind the RR wheel, not one for each wheel.

And this is SpoolStreet, not e90post. Yes, I have the right sensors :angry:

BM-36236771043.jpg

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I think I've read something like that too but that doesn't make much sense. For things like wheel speed it does, but not something like tire pressures. If the right rear sensor can pick up both sides then a centrally mounted sensor should pick up all four but there would be zero directional awareness. I know for sure my car has one on each side on the front. I think I remember dealing with one like yours in my 2007 sedan.

Itsbrokeagain

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Strong Island
Ride
E70 X5d, E39 528iT, E46 325xi
I think I've read something like that too but that doesn't make much sense. For things like wheel speed it does, but not something like tire pressures. If the right rear sensor can pick up both sides then a centrally mounted sensor should pick up all four but there would be zero directional awareness. I know for sure my car has one on each side on the front. I think I remember dealing with one like yours in my 2007 sedan.

In 2007 for the most part they were all Flat Tire Monitors. They measured wheel speeds via the ABS ring and if one showed a difference the light would come on. In 2008 they started adding the individual sensors to each wheel.

As far as I know there are 4 receivers. One for each wheel. They are in the front fender liners, and usually attached to the body in the rear fender liners.

Also to the OP, your main module (since it has been replaced) may have been coded incorrectly?

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I thought FTM was a totally different system from TPMS. My 07 has TPMS and since one kept giving an error I just coded the TPMS out and disconnected the RDS module. Enabled FTM and now no more error codes, but I still have a way to monitor tires.

OP, are you dead set on TPMS, or would coding it out be an acceptable option for you? The only reason we have TPMS is because US mandates a way to monitor "pressure" rather than have a way to tell if a tire is low. I believe Europe still uses just FTM and it needs no extra sensors.