Help: Transmission coding related issues

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
So this problem started after the single turbo install. Car previously has the Alpina flash and was running on xHP stage 3 until the install.

DME was removed during the single turbo install to prevent issue from welding done in the engine bay. We did turn on the ignition of the car once without the DME, as the shop forgot to reinstall it when I tried to connect it to MHD to get some flashing done.

At the moment, I have no DS mode, paddle shift, and steering wheel buttons. DS mode can regained by doing the emergency flash with xHP or by flashing the car back to stock then to alpina. If we try to recode the EGS (transmission module) with NCSexpert to get the paddle shifter working again, the car would lose the DS mode again... Very odd. Reflashing the car to stock or the stage 3 map I was using before with xHP would net the same results, no DS, paddle, and buttons...

Both my coder and I are all super confused at the moment and not sure what to do other than pulling out the big guns like ISTA and ICOM. The only other info I can find is this thread: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52252 The OP is having the exact same issue as me after replacing his transmission.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Reflash back to stock first. Then recode back to stock. Remember, after a flash the module has to be coded for full functionality. I'm not sure what all xHP does in the background, so I'd do the flash back to stock with WinKFP. Then for coding use NCSexpert either through expert profile and allowing NCS to code the module itself, or the blank .man trick. Whatever floats your boat.

Get everything back to stock transmission wise. Then check functionality. Once its good to go, reapply the xHP flash.

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
Reflash back to stock first. Then recode back to stock. Remember, after a flash the module has to be coded for full functionality. I'm not sure what all xHP does in the background, so I'd do the flash back to stock with WinKFP. Then for coding use NCSexpert either through expert profile and allowing NCS to code the module itself, or the blank .man trick. Whatever floats your boat.

Get everything back to stock transmission wise. Then check functionality. Once its good to go, reapply the xHP flash.

1. Did that. Flashed the DME back to stock and then reflashed it back to the MHD file that Chris and I are using to tune to car (need the custom flash to start the car due to the BL coils). And then flash to factory non-Alpina flash for the EGS.

No DS, No paddle

2. Flash the EGS again with Alpina

DS, but no paddle

3. Recode with NCSexpert to try to reactivate the paddle

Lose the DS mode again, and still no paddle LOL

I gonna check the clockspring later this afternoon and recheck the shifter again... just to rule out any hardware failure.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
1. Did that. Flashed the DME back to stock and then reflashed it back to the MHD file that Chris and I are using to tune to car (need the custom flash to start the car due to the BL coils). And then flash to factory non-Alpina flash for the EGS.

No DS, No paddle

2. Flash the EGS again with Alpina

DS, but no paddle

3. Recode with NCSexpert to try to reactivate the paddle

Lose the DS mode again, and still no paddle LOL

I gonna check the clockspring later this afternoon and recheck the shifter again... just to rule out any hardware failure.

1. Open WINKFP
2. Flash EGS back to stock
3. Default code with NCSexpert (not custom coding, default coding - it needs to be this specifically)

You shouldn't touch the DME or the EGS/Alpina until you get this to work first.

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
Found the problem. Lets hope the local dealer has it in stock tomorrow morning.
1fjlWit.jpg

UYPaYJu.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
How did your clock spring get that screwed up? It has a lock built into it to stop from getting out of center

PUTC

Corporal
Oct 14, 2017
Ride
08 335xi
Not to look really stupid, what exactly is that and it’s purpose?