GWS unprogrammable

AKhkharux

Aug 13, 2022
I have a 2009 335i and the donor car for everything was a 2011 135i.

I have everything working correctly except for the GWS and now I have a few questions.

Question 1: GS40 on Zub 7600042 is not an option for me in WinKFP. Was this number superseded ar some point?

Question 2: Even though the base plate isn't compatible, Should I still be able to code the GWS module? I read on the dct to m3 conversion their shifter went dead after the flash and am wondering if I'm experiencing the same thing.

Thanks for your help in advance.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
You may already know this so I don’t mean to tread on toes.
I’m not experienced in DCT swap but I have in the past come across retrofit threads. The only thing I can contribute here is similar to coding M modules in a non M car your vehicle order and build date has to reflect all the modules that you’re trying to code.
So you may need to follow the instructions posted in here https://www.spoolstreet.com/threads/coding-m-modules-in-a-non-m-car.6190/
Hope this helps

AKhkharux

Aug 13, 2022
Also interested in this., have been running into program issues for the GWS

When I programmed my GWS it put the shifteinto an incomplete programming state that I'm assuming needs some kind of recovery bench flash to fix. I ended up ordering a new shifter and did not program the new one. Everything worked out for me after that. Let me know if you need more specific help.

UzziB12

Nov 25, 2022
Also having this issue, after you installed the new gws, did you get any transmission fault codes ?

AKhkharux

Aug 13, 2022
Also having this issue, after you installed the new gws, did you get any transmission fault codes ?

I could never get the parking lock to work, and had a communication code, but never caused any drivability issues.

Calamari_

Private
Jan 29, 2023
Yea mines a fresh swap, trying to get the car to go into park for the first time as its just flashing neutral, mine was also a manual before the DCT but originally had an auto which i swapped for the manual so most of the auto harness is still there to tap into, a few communication codes such as EGS PT can and PT can 2 communication fault etc

UzziB12

Nov 25, 2022
I changed my gws and it clicked into park but I'm still putting the car back together, then I can test the gws to see if it's functioning properly

UzziB12

Nov 25, 2022
After putting the car back together i'm also having the issue with neutral flashing and not going into park.

Calamari_

Private
Jan 29, 2023
After putting the car back together i'm also having the issue with neutral flashing and not going into park.
I got my entire car programmed and coded now, no error codes except Parking lock not engaged timeout or something like that due to it being in neutral for so long, im figuring the car needs to start once to be put in P, mine just flashes aswell

UzziB12

Nov 25, 2022
No still flashes neutral, did u update your gws? Does yours also flash in neutral

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Since this thread keeps popping up, why is everyone coding and/or flashing GWS at all? I would assume swap involves GWS that matches the trans installed since they are specific (i.e. AT vs. DCT vs. MDCT), in which case, nothing should need to be done to them. What am I missing?

UzziB12

Nov 25, 2022
I got my entire car programmed and coded now, no error codes except Parking lock not engaged timeout or something like that due to it being in neutral for so long, im figuring the car needs to start once to be put in P, mine just flashes aswell

Did you manage to get your P to engage after coding the car?

Calamari_

Private
Jan 29, 2023

Did you manage to get your P to engage after coding the car?
unfortunately not yet, ill be working on it later today, i started it up and had an EGS PT can 1 & 2 communication fault so gotta figure that out, manual - dct sucks

Calamari_

Private
Jan 29, 2023
Just a little update, i coded my GWS so it could properly communicate with everything else as its on a bus network thats connected two 5+ other modules, so safer than sorry. And in the terms of GWS not programming, im assuming your getting a connection from your GWS?

I got my whole thing solved, finally drove the car last night and everything functions. If you got any questions let me know

Did you manage to get your P to engage after coding?

UzziB12

Nov 25, 2022
Just a little update, i coded my GWS so it could properly communicate with everything else as its on a bus network thats connected two 5+ other modules, so safer than sorry. And in the terms of GWS not programming, im assuming your getting a connection from your GWS?

I got my whole thing solved, finally drove the car last night and everything functions. If you got any questions let me know
yeah I need some help with regards to coding it so that I can get my park to work, sent a pm

Tamaluko

Lurker
Aug 25, 2021
California
Ride
335i

Hey man I'm currently in the process of doing this same swap. I'm going 6HP to DCT. I've got my vehicle order showing its a DCT car but haven't coded any of the modules yet. I'm afraid of bricking them hahaha.

I'm also currently waiting on a M Factory flywheel to be able to put in the trans. I am getting the same codes you are with the parking lock and the PT Can Comunication. Any insight you can offer would be awesome man!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230227_182646.jpg
    Screenshot_20230227_182646.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20230227_182739.jpg
    Screenshot_20230227_182739.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20230227_182702.jpg
    Screenshot_20230227_182702.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20230227_182717.jpg
    Screenshot_20230227_182717.jpg