FYI black revshift motor mount not suitable for track use

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
Just a heads up to those tracking their N54s running black revshift motor mounts and stock/race catted down-pipes. I ran this mount on the passenger side with the heat shield and kept the drivers side stock. We found the mount had melted significantly +3 months after installation.

Vendor has now explained that the green poly can handle more heat, and is recommended for track use. A higher temperature black poly is also in development...

IMG_20191215_173959.jpg

IMG_20191215_180820.jpg

The simplest way to describe how a melted mount feels is "settled". Ie NVH is reduced. Those vibrations you felt in the beginning are gone? The car doesn't feel as direct to drive anymore? OK, the poly might have changed shape due to melting. Please have the passenger side mount checked to make sure.

As a temporary solution I am now running green poly on top and black on bottom. Only the top half had melted. Driver's side is still stock. NVH with this setup isnt too bad, and the responsiveness is awesome...

IMG_20191215_174638.jpg

berns

Corporal
Jan 15, 2018
Ride
'09 135i
Have 3 years on my AKG mounts, motor and trans mounts are still perfect after tons of track time.
The amount of heat put off by the downpipes and their proximity to the mount is nuts. Mount needs a heat shield of its own.

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
Whats wrong with just using the green inserts?

Nothing, just more NVH. I run one green/black mount now + stock driver's side, and with idle set to 900 it is tolerable.

Back in August I had two black mounts installed for less than an hour as I couldn't live with those levels of NVH. So went for one stock + one black and was happy until I discovered it melted.

How people can live with solid engine mounts is a bit beyond me to be honest. Adaptive engine mounts make sense.

• Informative
Reactions: ShocknAwe

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Nothing, just more NVH. I run one green/black mount now + stock driver's side, and with idle set to 900 it is tolerable.

Back in August I had two black mounts installed for less than an hour as I couldn't live with those levels of NVH. So went for one stock + one black and was happy until I discovered it melted.

How people can live with solid engine mounts is a bit beyond me to be honest. Adaptive engine mounts make sense.

Interesting. Have you ever run full green? I can imagine full black which is the harder compound would be nearly intolerable.

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
Interesting. Have you ever run full green? I can imagine full black which is the harder compound would be nearly intolerable.

No I haven't.

Revshift offered black (oem+) and green (race) when I got mine. There's nothing oem+ about black though... so I don't think the oem+ label is appropriate for Z4 n54 dct, and green is just stiffer. Hence why Im mixing them as shown in the picture in post number one.