Finally blew the turbo coolant line

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Rear turbo coolant line finally popped all the way. My wife comes home and says the windshield washer light is on. I'm like, no. I just filled that.

I go look and it's the coolant low light. I drag her outside and ask her how that light looks like the washer fluid light and also the service msg that is in the display, "low coolant".

She's like... how the fuck am I supposed to know the difference. They all look the same! Oh really? And the low coolant msg? What's that telling you? She's says, I thought that's for the air conditioner. OMG! WTF?

So. I get my air hose and pressure test the system. You can hear the air blowing from the rear turbo coolant line. She's watching me do it and when I hear the air coming out I'm swearing cause it's a tedious job.

Then she's like.... so what, fix it. I need it later today.

me: Ummm... no. I have your e46 convertible in the garage up on stands with the motor out and parts all over.

Her: and, so? Fix it in the driveway.

Me: No. I have to drop the sub frame and replace both turbo cooling hoses. I need the car on the stands and free space. You'll have to wait till i get the e46 done and out if the garage.

Her: So tomorrow then?

Me: I still need 2k in parts to finish the e46. That's two more months of saving.

Her: two months!!! I have to drive the truck for two months!!!

Then she storms off inside mad like it's all my fault. Ugh.... and I'm the one supposed to be mad because she drove around with low coolant all day.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Finally popped all the way?

28 years of marriage pro tip. I've owned probably 20 BMW's. Know how many BMW's my wife has had? Zero. She has a nice little Mercedes diesel SUV. Reliable, and while I work on it, her cars have often gone to service. Better than waiting on me to work on them. If my crap doesn't work, I have only one person to blame. Me. Don't need my wife in that position!

$2k in parts for the E46 motor? You putting a blower on it? :grin:

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
Rear turbo coolant line finally popped all the way. My wife comes home and says the windshield washer light is on. I'm like, no. I just filled that.

I go look and it's the coolant low light. I drag her outside and ask her how that light looks like the washer fluid light and also the service msg that is in the display, "low coolant".

She's like... how the fuck am I supposed to know the difference. They all look the same! Oh really? And the low coolant msg? What's that telling you? She's says, I thought that's for the air conditioner. OMG! WTF?

So. I get my air hose and pressure test the system. You can hear the air blowing from the rear turbo coolant line. She's watching me do it and when I hear the air coming out I'm swearing cause it's a tedious job.

Then she's like.... so what, fix it. I need it later today.

me: Ummm... no. I have your e46 convertible in the garage up on stands with the motor out and parts all over.

Her: and, so? Fix it in the driveway.

Me: No. I have to drop the sub frame and replace both turbo cooling hoses. I need the car on the stands and free space. You'll have to wait till i get the e46 done and out if the garage.

Her: So tomorrow then?

Me: I still need 2k in parts to finish the e46. That's two more months of saving.

Her: two months!!! I have to drive the truck for two months!!!

Then she storms off inside mad like it's all my fault. Ugh.... and I'm the one supposed to be mad because she drove around with low coolant all day.
If you bought her that car, its 100% ur fault.

Reactions: TheFixer

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
it's always the mans fault
My wife's problem is she'll never take accountability for anything. She's late for something, traffic caused it. Got a low score on an exam, professors fault for not having stuff on a study guide. She'll never look internally on how to improve. Instead looks externally to blame others.

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
My wife's problem is she'll never take accountability for anything. She's late for something, traffic caused it. Got a low score on an exam, professors fault for not having stuff on a study guide. She'll never look internally on how to improve. Instead looks externally to blame others.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

• Agree
Reactions: SlowE93

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Finally popped all the way?

28 years of marriage pro tip. I've owned probably 20 BMW's. Know how many BMW's my wife has had? Zero. She has a nice little Mercedes diesel SUV. Reliable, and while I work on it, her cars have often gone to service. Better than waiting on me to work on them. If my crap doesn't work, I have only one person to blame. Me. Don't need my wife in that position!

Yup. I told her it would too and to not drive it till I could replace it. It's only supposed to be the "weekend fun car". We also have a 2019 fully loaded Grand Caravan GT that is 305hp. It's super fast and nice. Also the 1997 lifted Expedition 4x4 that is also super nice and bullet proof. Those are supposed to be the daily drivers.

No, I'm not doing forced induction. Those kits are 7k! The 2k in parts is injectors, coils, full cooling system replacement, pulleys, belt, m50 intake conversion, m56 valve cover conversion, starter, ac compressor and condenser, engine and tranny mounts, suspension, regulator, gaskets, battery, vanos rebuild kit.....I think that's all I had in the list. It came to close to 2k.
Car was 1k, new rebuilt motor was another 1k.

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
If you bought her that car, its 100% ur fault.
That makes no sense to me. So using that logic...... my wife buys me a motorcycle. The chain stretches out causing it to jump teeth on the sprocket. Then one day the chain pops off because I keep riding it even though I shouldn't. It's then my wife's fault because she bought it for me?

Reactions: RuskiRacer

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Perfect excuse for a single turbo kit :wink:
Too much work to do for an e60.... well, for me it is. I'm doing home remodel stuff and have my kids all day. The kids barely let me accomplish 2 to 3 hours of any project.

I may just do new stock OE from fcp euro though just because I'll be in there.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
That makes no sense to me. So using that logic...... my wife buys me a motorcycle. The chain stretches out causing it to jump teeth on the sprocket. Then one day the chain pops off because I keep riding it even though I shouldn't. It's then my wife's fault because she bought it for me?
Correct
If she would not have bought it for you, the whole mess would have been avoided. Would it not ?
Besides, they call u the fixer.....go fix it🤣

😐

• Funny
Reactions: TheFixer and TiAgAu

RNM

Corporal
Jun 3, 2019
Yeah, another reason why I will never get married. As a single man, I am always right lol.

Attachments

• Girls-are-sweet-Wives-are-angry.jpg
    Girls-are-sweet-Wives-are-angry.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 22

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
This isn't the e60.... but it's what I'm getting done before I can fix her.

M54b30 motor. M56 valve cover mod. M50 intake mod. Almost ready to put in the e46 vert.
1618439641117232123303754149778.jpg

Oh... and this is little Fixer. She is 4. She installed the new thermostat housing and water pump all by her self.
Screenshot_20210409-174226_Video Player.jpg

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
So.... finally got around to getting this off. Might as well do them all, and oil pan gasket and water pump..... and etc....

20211025_151433.jpg

20211025_151454.jpg

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
In the end I put 4k into that vert. All new suspension, cooling system, ac system, rebuilt motor, tires, android head unit and little bits here and there. She's been daily driving it 100 miles a day for about 3 months now. Nice fun little car.

Now to finally tackle this fat e60. Then a basket case e53 I picked up for 500 bucks.

Nothing like having three high maintenance side chicks

• Funny
Reactions: NoGuru