Favorite pro tune OR off the shelf tune one can use with cobb AP

ATL-IS-N54

Sergeant
Nov 20, 2016
ATL ga
I have a 2011 335is with Dinan stage 3 (bolt ons and tune), FMIC, Intake, large oil cooler and Tune.... I have a Cobb AP just sitting, and I want to do some fun things with it and or a pro tuner and really fine tune a pump 93 setup for a street setup...

Post some Tuners, dynos, mods list, etc... Let's hear it...

I don't wanna get down pipes until my warranty runs out in a few years, but as far as tune goes, my tuner will be doing most warranty work, and if need be can reflash the Dinan tune should I stray from it... I'm not dis satisfied with it, but on size does not always fit all, and I'd like some input...

Even if your favorite 93 pump tune is a free, off the shelf tune... Post it with some specs and dynos, thanks guys... Tune war has begun! Open to e85 for occasional use but mainly interested in favorite pump 93 tunes, and for what and when... Let's get some good write ups and data for people starting out... And you can save your Dinan bashing we all know it's under powered and over priced... Cheers!

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
Not gonna dive into tuner wars and I do like brentuning (other then their arrogance on the BMW s1000rr platform), but your absolute best bet is to ditch the Dinan as its only purpose was to save some type of warranty, skip Cobb, and get yourself into MHD. I have no experience with their OTS tunes but compared to Dinan I'm positive they are better. And as for custom tunes, plenty of options, most of which will fit even better than the OTS.

ATL-IS-N54

Sergeant
Nov 20, 2016
ATL ga
Ok ok... all good stuff... Keep it comin! Dynos? If they are a good enough tuner they can write a Cobb tune as well as an MHD... They are both just diff forms of self flashing ECU... As I understand, Cobb is limited to 19psi which is more than I need to run right now, and I already have an AP because I wanted one, and the ease of use that comes with it... MHD is def cool tho... I can appreciate it and its flexibility...

This is all good stuff for not just me but other noobs out there...

And yes I have a warranty... Extended 3rd party... And I also understand how the Dinan warranty ONLY supplements the original 4yr 50k mile warranty... It's a grey area with extended warranties and is more or less up to the people / dealer doing the warranty work. Luckily for me I have a dealer AND an Indy who will do warranty work on tuned after market warrantied cars... I need to stay in that ballpark (14-19psi) of boost tho, (which stated above) and is fine with me...

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
There are several competent tuners on this board. @V8bait @Twisted Tuning @WedgePerformance @CKI and more.

thank you Sir.

Ok ok... all good stuff... Keep it comin! Dynos? If they are a good enough tuner they can write a Cobb tune as well as an MHD... They are both just diff forms of self flashing ECU... As I understand, Cobb is limited to 19psi which is more than I need to run right now, and I already have an AP because I wanted one, and the ease of use that comes with it... MHD is def cool tho... I can appreciate it and its flexibility...

This is all good stuff for not just me but other noobs out there...

And yes I have a warranty... Extended 3rd party... And I also understand how the Dinan warranty ONLY supplements the original 4yr 50k mile warranty... It's a grey area with extended warranties and is more or less up to the people / dealer doing the warranty work. Luckily for me I have a dealer AND an Indy who will do warranty work on tuned after market warrantied cars... I need to stay in that ballpark (14-19psi) of boost tho, (which stated above) and is fine with me...

Depending on what ROM you have Cobb can be tuned up to 22.5psi with a 3.5bar TMAP sensor upgrade. But only for the I8A0S and IJE0S roms. if you are INA0S or IKM0S you are stuck at 18.5psi or so on Cobb. MHD the 36-46psi is possible depending on MAP sensor choice.

And if warranty comes up in your conversations. You should probably not really think about tuning. Warranty is void on these cars for anything outside DINAN. granted you can flash back to stock. and most Dealers or service stations wouldn't know how to even figure out if the car has been flashed or not. Just be sure that you get it in writing that they wont void your warranty for the tune if something happens. They may have been noting that strictly for DINAN.

Reactions: ATL-IS-N54

ATL-IS-N54

Sergeant
Nov 20, 2016
ATL ga
Oh they were, but my INdY is also the only Indy Dinan dealer in Ga, and would ALWAYS look the other way, if for no other reason, than the fact I've spent so much on stuff/work from him and he would get paid for warranty work... He has already agreed to do all my tuned warranty work... I don't need it in writing from him, he's the most stand up guy I've met in the biz... Also he would be happy to flash back to Dinan or stock, if need be for dealer work... Like I said it's not under factory warranty it's extended third party, so it's a grey area... But I have at least one dealer willing to warranty Dinan on AM warrantied, and Indy will do anything I need that he can on my AM warranty whilst looking the other way...

Thanks twisted tuning... Might just have you tune me... I was thinking as long as the peak boost levels are in the ballpark of what I got then I'm good, even if BMW NA requests logs from the car, which they won't, because they aren't the ones holding the warranty any more... Aside from the recall/warranties...

@Twisted Tuning
Any OTS Cobb tunes you recommend starting with to feel things out and or log with?

ATL-IS-N54

Sergeant
Nov 20, 2016
ATL ga
Warranty only came up in my convos when I brought it up myself, trying to make sure when buying the car with tuning Intentions and made sure from the head of finance / warranty Dept at the dealer from which I bought it. We have locally several SAs that the tuning guys go to that are trusted "look the other way" even on extremely none stock nor Dinan cars... But having the Dinan bolt ons, which I plan on keeping every one of, they'll just think it's Dinan tuned and it may be flashed back that way before getting dealer warranty work as I said above... My Indy tech will do anything including flash back to stock or whatever is necessary...

Also i can use the Cobb to flash to "simulated stock" which I'm still not too sure of but...

ATL-IS-N54

Sergeant
Nov 20, 2016
ATL ga
thank you Sir.

Depending on what ROM you have Cobb can be tuned up to 22.5psi with a 3.5bar TMAP sensor upgrade. But only for the I8A0S and IJE0S roms. if you are INA0S or IKM0S you are stuck at 18.5psi or so on Cobb. MHD the 36-46psi is possible depending on MAP sensor choice.

And if warranty comes up in your conversations. You should probably not really think about tuning. Warranty is void on these cars for anything outside DINAN. granted you can flash back to stock. and most Dealers or service stations wouldn't know how to even figure out if the car has been flashed or not. Just be sure that you get it in writing that they wont void your warranty for the tune if something happens. They may have been noting that strictly for DINAN.

Check the posts from me I forgot to tag u in...

ATL-IS-N54

Sergeant
Nov 20, 2016
ATL ga
Not gonna dive into tuner wars and I do like brentuning (other then their arrogance on the BMW s1000rr platform), but your absolute best bet is to ditch the Dinan as its only purpose was to save some type of warranty, skip Cobb, and get yourself into MHD. I have no experience with their OTS tunes but compared to Dinan I'm positive they are better. And as for custom tunes, plenty of options, most of which will fit even better than the OTS.
So what are you running if u don't mind me asking? Mods and tune? If it's waayyy out of this league then just say that, but if you have an MHD tune you like so much that came from a tuner that you would recommend, do you mind sharing ?

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
So what are you running if u don't mind me asking? Mods and tune? If it's waayyy out of this league then just say that, but if you have an MHD tune you like so much that came from a tuner that you would recommend, do you mind sharing ?

My MHD tune came from V8Bait. He has done plenty Cobb tunes as well but would probably still recommend MHD since you gain access to things like engine temperature set point, boost limits by gear, knock tables, etc etc which are probably applicable to you regardless of your mods, and for probably the same cost as what you get from selling the Cobb ;-)

ATL-IS-N54

Sergeant
Nov 20, 2016
ATL ga
My MHD tune came from V8Bait. He has done plenty Cobb tunes as well but would probably still recommend MHD since you gain access to things like engine temperature set point, boost limits by gear, knock tables, etc etc which are probably applicable to you regardless of your mods, and for probably the same cost as what you get from selling the Cobb ;-)
Ok ok ok... I hear you... I have 30 ish days to decide to return it or not... I got it I sale with free shipping and I like $oending on tech tools and cars, so chances are I might sell it second hand in a few years, and if I so decide to, buy a clean galaxy tab to run MHD and all properly with proper cables etc... Until then, which like I said won't be for at least a month if not more, this is what I got... A Dinan tuned car with all Dinan bolt ons, (minus exhaust because my IS exhaust is lovely to me) and a deep curiosity in a self contained flexible and well featured Cobb AP, maybe u can't do EVERYTHING, but it's quick easy and what im trying to "mess with" right now for lack of a better word

ATL-IS-N54

Sergeant
Nov 20, 2016
ATL ga
I wonder if over writing the Dinan tune, since the Cobb obv writes a lot less... Judging by install times... Dinan being many more than an hour maybe two, versus, 20 min, and that's from a serious computer vs a handheld device? That said there has to be far less rom over written with any Cobb tune... So if I overwrite the Dinan tune, will it keep some of the code? Maybe? Like for the water pump controll which I'm 90% Cobb doesn't have control over water pump speed compensation... ? Correct me if I'm wrong... I wish I could know exactly what is being over written and what is staying... There is obv code remaining from either stock and or Dinan, and mayb it's cuz Dinan just rewrites the entire ECU and Cobb only makes adjustments nessesry and really not much more is changing ? There is always that option...

ATL-IS-N54

Sergeant
Nov 20, 2016
ATL ga
I havnt actually DONE any thing yet... I'm gonna wait until after the holiday, and drive to my Dinan guy and flash/ play with it in his presence at his shop in case I F something up and need a reflash from a pro with ISTA-P

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars

LMAO....love this 3rd person post. Classic. It would be quite hilarious if we all did that for a week.

Ok ok ok... I hear you... I have 30 ish days to decide to return it or not... I got it I sale with free shipping and I like $oending on tech tools and cars, so chances are I might sell it second hand in a few years, and if I so decide to, buy a clean galaxy tab to run MHD and all properly with proper cables etc... Until then, which like I said won't be for at least a month if not more, this is what I got... A Dinan tuned car with all Dinan bolt ons, (minus exhaust because my IS exhaust is lovely to me) and a deep curiosity in a self contained flexible and well featured Cobb AP, maybe u can't do EVERYTHING, but it's quick easy and what im trying to "mess with" right now for lack of a better word

Just send it back now. Unfortunately the AP doesn't compare to the capabilities of using MHD. You won't be able to sell it. So get your money back now while you still can. You'll practically have to give it away to sell it now.

I'm a Cobb authorized protuner/dealer. But my job is to recommend the best platform. And unfortunately, On this platform, cobb isn't it.

I wonder if over writing the Dinan tune, since the Cobb obv writes a lot less... Judging by install times... Dinan being many more than an hour maybe two, versus, 20 min, and that's from a serious computer vs a handheld device? That said there has to be far less rom over written with any Cobb tune... So if I overwrite the Dinan tune, will it keep some of the code? Maybe? Like for the water pump controll which I'm 90% Cobb doesn't have control over water pump speed compensation... ? Correct me if I'm wrong... I wish I could know exactly what is being over written and what is staying... There is obv code remaining from either stock and or Dinan, and mayb it's cuz Dinan just rewrites the entire ECU and Cobb only makes adjustments nessesry and really not much more is changing ? There is always that option...

Any new flash will overwrite the entire tune the first time. Because many of these flash tools also install some custom code during the initial flash. After that all flashes are short unless there is a logic mod or something.

• Agree
Reactions: V8bait

ATL-IS-N54

Sergeant
Nov 20, 2016
ATL ga
Honestly I'm not worried about the money... But if I feel it worth returning I have at least another 25 days or so... I really like the simplicity of it, and the straight forwardness... Ease of use etc...

So for MHD, what beside a good droid tab? What brand of cables and what cables would I need to get? I've heard there are huge differences in cable quality and some won't flash properly ? In my profession (music production / audio engineering) good cables and solid connections are valued so I know the importance of not buying sweatshop stuff for certain things... I was planning on getting another galaxy droid tab anyway... I have a Samsung Galaxy tab4 I bought in 2014 that I've used for monitors and logging in my e39, worked well, great for the price

ATL-IS-N54

Sergeant
Nov 20, 2016
ATL ga
I sure do, I a member of ///ATLBimmers, and ///ATL5ive series (e39 540i6) and also e46 empire for my 330ci... Let me see if I can figure out how to post pics here... One sec