F80 M3 Nelson Racing Paddle Upgrade DIY!

Trickcruiser

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Cincinnati
Recently I had the opportunity to get my hands on one of the very first set of Nelson Racing Paddles for the F80! Install was simple and quality is very good.
I am very anxious to test these on the track in a few weeks. I feel the stock paddles do not give you enough surface area to grab the gear you want in some wheel positions. This upgrade greatly increases this surface area!
Wheel Before:
5M9JUrml.jpg

New Paddles:
xLJE562l.jpg

Installed!
sgynESCl.jpg

Here is a quick DIY on my install.
1: Disconnect the battery
2: Foot on the brake for a few seconds to ensure there is no stored energy (better safe than sorry)
3: Remove the airbag from the steering wheel. There are two round holes on each side of the wheel. use a flathead screwdriver to push in on the locking spring to release each side. Be patient and you will figure this out pretty quickly
E0Up3gZl.jpg

4: Remove the airbag by disconnecting the small electric connector top center behind the airbag.
Airbag removed
eiS548Pl.jpg

5: Remove the outmost screw on both sides of the wheel. This is the only thing holding the paddle to the wheel.
kIwtFECl.jpg

* I chose to not fully remove the paddle wiring from the wheel as the connectors are buried and is simply not required for this install.
OOePwaql.jpg

6: Push the small black pin through the housing. The pin is tapered so it will only pass in one direction.
xhnoM6pl.jpg

7: Separate the paddle from the electronic portion. Note where the spring and small black plastic part are located inside as they can fall out if removed upside down.
GmO7LRdl.jpg

Comparison of the stock VS Nelson Racing paddle
ituxZeRl.jpg

8: Install is reverse of of removal.
sgynESCl.jpg

Reactions: doublespaces