Electronic Brake -> Do we really even need it?

etropic

Lurker
Apr 27, 2023
Assuming you don't actually need to use it to park on a hill somewhere...
Is it even necessary?

What happens if you leave the actuator unplugged? Will it trip something as an error? I can try it easily enough (will do next pad replacement).
If it does trip a code I wonder if the plug can be shorted or soldered such that it would always read at it's base state (assuming it's some sort of load reading and not a logic chip).
I always seem to struggle with pad replacement at the track because it's in the way and not easy to put back on after the caliper is mounted.

Do we really even need it?

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
You need it to comply with road based regulations in almost all countries..if it’s a track only device then who cares..

etropic

Lurker
Apr 27, 2023
Great.
Now I can't wait to unplug it.

However... since it fits on the end of the caliper so nice, if I left it off, does that expose the piston to unwanted dirt?
Maybe I could modify it (cut it in half) to preserve the seal and not have the rest of the actuator in the way.

billj457

Lurker
Mar 30, 2020
There's an o-ring and c-clip in there but a block-off plate of some sort would be beneficial:

s-l1600.jpg

bob20124

Oct 4, 2018
Ride
2011 Z4 35I
If you disconnect the actuator besides the fault alarm, the cruise control will not engage.

etropic

Lurker
Apr 27, 2023
If you disconnect the actuator besides the fault alarm, the cruise control will not engage.
Thanks for the heads up.
Can this be coded out? I'm thinking that, like the brake sensor, the signal could be wired in a way to always show ready. But not sure if there is logic going back to something.