E61 Trunk Flooded with Water - Half of Exterior Lights wont work and other modules - Need Help

island road

Corporal
Nov 21, 2016
Boston
Ride
535xiT 2010 M Sport
A few weeks ago I had my rear trunk flood with water, I traced with the issues and have since corrected it.

Just about every module in the trunk was filled with water, I replaced all the modules and any fuses and relays that might have been effected.

Right now I am dealing with a bunch issues that only started happen since the trunk episode.

Light Module - All the exterior lights on the driver side of the car do not work. - Shows low current issues with 30b or 30

ABS - Fault issues also shows low current issues with 30b or 30

I have been using ISTA+ in order to try and diag the issues. While has worked for other modules that where fault and replaced as I at a standstill as to what needs to happen next. The Car has a new battery and I doubled checked all the fuses to make sure none are blown.

I don't have much experience dealing with electrical on these cars just mechanical so any help would be greatly appreciated. Even if its remoting into the laptop to take a look at all the fault codes. I will happily pay for your time and I also have access to a few other E61s if parts are needed to be swapped.

When I first start up the car these are some of the issues I am dealing with. It seems to revolve around the fact certain modules are not getting the correct
voltage.

Items Replaced / Checked

• Cleared all modules codes vid ISTA - Done
  • Replaced IBS - Done
  • Replaced Rear Battery Cabled - Done
  • Battery replaced within the past 4 months
  • Replaced LM Module - Done
  • Replaced iDrive Controller (Was Fried) - Done
  • Replaced MPM - (Was Fried) - Done

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Torgus

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
I seen this on a customer car once where the battery sits there is supposed to be a little drainage hole that gets clogged up will over fill and drown out your battery and then cause these issues

Stormshadow335

Private
Mar 27, 2020
New Jersey
Ride
Big turbo 335i
1st, I'm hoping you were being sarcastic about purposely flooding your trunk with water:)

I had the same issue. The issue was clogged sunroof drains in the rear of the car. On my e92, they're at the bottom of the car, right behind the rear wheels. Pull out the t-shaped plugs to open the ends of the drains and you're problem is solved. Usually debris clogs the drains due to the small openings.

For the decreased voltage issue, that's most likely your voltage regulator, or the cables below your battery trey are most likely corroded/rusty from sitting in water for a while. If that's the case clean the connections, or change the connections if they're too far gone.

....hope this helps. Good luck bud!

• Informative

island road

Corporal
Nov 21, 2016
Boston
Ride
535xiT 2010 M Sport
1st, I'm hoping you were being sarcastic about purposely flooding your trunk with water:)

I had the same issue. The issue was clogged sunroof drains in the rear of the car. On my e92, they're at the bottom of the car, right behind the rear wheels. Pull out the t-shaped plugs to open the ends of the drains and you're problem is solved. Usually debris clogs the drains due to the small openings.

For the decreased voltage issue, that's most likely your voltage regulator, or the cables below your battery trey are most likely corroded/rusty from sitting in water for a while. If that's the case clean the connections, or change the connections if they're too far gone.

....hope this helps. Good luck bud!

The only voltage regulator that I know of is located on the Alternator itself. I am not sure that would be effecting only the right side of the lights considering if I put the battery charger on the car that does not correct the issue.

It very well could be some of the battery connections def needs some more testing.

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Hopefully you didn't short out the light module/lm2 or whatever version you have. It's under the dash on the left side of the car.

island road

Corporal
Nov 21, 2016
Boston
Ride
535xiT 2010 M Sport
Hopefully you didn't short out the light module/lm2 or whatever version you have. It's under the dash on the left side of the car.

I already swapped that out with a working light module and that was not the issue. ISTA can see and has communication to all the module but it’s still showing a low voltage. I am working on it now although if anybody has more insight I’m all forir as right now I’m still at a loss.

island road

Corporal
Nov 21, 2016
Boston
Ride
535xiT 2010 M Sport
was this mentioned ?

Have you checked where the battery ground cable connects to the frame?

This I have not checked although I remember last time under the car it was not corroded.

I just finished replacing the entire rear Power distribution Box along with rear batter cables from my working E61. I thought maybe something inside mine might of been short circuited but no go still the same result. Non the less I am going to hook ISTA back up to see if there is any difference in the modules voltage.

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Maybe check the modules on the underside of the headlights? Probably gonna be parting out my E60, lmk if you need anything.

island road

Corporal
Nov 21, 2016
Boston
Ride
535xiT 2010 M Sport
Maybe check the modules on the underside of the headlights? Probably gonna be parting out my E60, lmk if you need anything.

It's not just the headlight but all the exterior lights on the driver side of the car front and rear including the blinkers. This 30b faulty low voltage also is causing other modules with give some warning sings. Although I might need some parts from the modules I took from my other car let me know when your parting out.

I read on some other forums somebody suggesting checking the intelligent battery sensor (IBS) so I swapped that and still the same issue. Going to recheck the front fuse box again incase I missed anything.

island road

Corporal
Nov 21, 2016
Boston
Ride
535xiT 2010 M Sport
Started last week, still have most everything.

Great thanks I for sure will be reaching out as I had to replace a bunch of modules, relays and even idrive controller was fried. I am trying to work with a remote BMW coder today to figure out the issue. I will be in touch thanks.

Reactions: GreyNBlueE92

Staglad75

Nov 8, 2020
Great thanks I for sure will be reaching out as I had to replace a bunch of modules, relays and even idrive controller was fried. I am trying to work with a remote BMW coder today to figure out the issue. I will be in touch thanks.
Hey I need to replace the rear power distribution box in my e61 too. Same issue. Is there anything in there that needs coding afterwards? Thanks

island road

Corporal
Nov 21, 2016
Boston
Ride
535xiT 2010 M Sport
Hey I need to replace the rear power distribution box in my e61 too. Same issue. Is there anything in there that needs coding afterwards? Thanks

No coding needed for that. Turns out mine was not bad. I was able to fix my issues by tracing it back to some missing fuses within the front fuse back after all the faulty modules have been fixed. Back to a working car again.