Dragy Accuracy

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
Congrats! Hope to join you soon!

It's going to be a challenge getting the power down the 1/2 mile safely. Definitely 17" Hoosier drs. Start slow and build up. Something like 12psi 1st gear, 14psi 2nd gear, 20psi 3rd gear, and then by 4th and 5th you should be OK for full power unless the misfire gods strike. And be sure to have a Dragy or VBOX in the car recording so we know where the 1/2 mile record is when you set it. :)
LOL. You just won’t stop with this. I know you want to sell Dragy’s but I have used it now at the strip 4 times. While ET’s are decent. Traps are usually elevated at least 1MPH every pass. So congrats guys on the numbers, now on the 1/2 pass, make sure to use the official timing equipment so your trap ist’t elevated by 1MPH+ on the dragy...;)

• Dislike
Reactions: mfractal

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
LOL. You just won’t stop with this. I know you want to sell Dragy’s but I have used it now at the strip 4 times. While ET’s are decent. Traps are usually elevated at least 1MPH every pass. So congrats guys on the numbers, now on the 1/2 pass, make sure to use the official timing equipment so your trap ist’t elevated by 1MPH+ on the dragy...;)

We've been through this... The timing equipment at 1/2 mile events other than Shift sector is a joke. Many times you're racing more or less than 1/2 mile so who knows what you really ran. GPS timing is the way to go.

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
Have you been to a wanna go fast event? I haven’t. Have you spoken to them about their equipment? I haven’t. So how do you know what equipment they are running? I would say you prob don’t same as I don’t. All I DO know is. I would not want someone who is claiming trap speed records relying on a device that added almost 1.5MPH to one of my traps yesterday at the track. We ran consistently 10.90’s-11.0’s all day at around 125-126. The dragy routinely reported the car on the edge of 127, and one pass reported it at 127.5MPH. With the N54 1/2 trap record being a highly regarded record, I would not accept any Dragy reading as record seeing how high its reporting our 1/4 traps. No one else should either. Official timing equipment slip, or drag slip for record. Nothing else qualifies, period.

• Dislike

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
Have you been to a wanna go fast event? I haven’t. Have you spoken to them about their equipment? I haven’t. So how do you know what equipment they are running? I would say you prob don’t same as I don’t. All I DO know is. I would not want someone who is claiming trap speed records relying on a device that added almost 1.5MPH to one of my traps yesterday at the track. We ran consistently 10.90’s-11.0’s all day at around 125-126. The dragy routinely reported the car on the edge of 127, and one pass reported it at 127.5MPH. With the N54 1/2 trap record being a highly regarded record, I would not accept any Dragy reading as record seeing how high its reporting our 1/4 traps. No one else should either. Official timing equipment slip, or drag slip for record. Nothing else qualifies, period.

I know Blake who runs the "wanna go fast" events and I'm sure he does everything he can to keep the times as accurate as possible. Some events start from a roll, others from a dig. And then there is NFZ where people back up as far as they can, take a running start, and begin the 1/2 mile at 90mph+ lol. And who is going to really know right? At least with a GPS device you know they are going 1/2 mile from a stop.

On your 1/4 mile traps they may not have the function active to average them over the last 60' yet enabled, rather than actual speed at the 1/4 mile. I told them about it during testing and it's a simple software change. I'll check on that. I wanted it to show both like VBOXTOOLS does. VBOX has same problem on their screen, they don't average over the last 60'.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
I just want to make sure we are all on the same page. So a device you sell, and make money off of, meaning you have a direct agenda to push them as much as you can should be used to for 1/2 mile trap records. Even though I have been to the strip 4 times with it in the past 1.5 months, and it has shown consistent 1–1.5MPH elevated traps on almost all runs. I cannot see how anyone could possibly accept this, if we are looking for true records. But hey, whatever, I personally will never recognize any record with a slip from the governing body of that track or event. Maybe I am the minority

• Dislike

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
Do you know the difference between instantaneous traps at the 1/4 mile and averaging over the last 60'? Have you ever used VBOX or VBOXTOOLs?

The timing methods at 1/2 mile races are often a joke. I've done runs at NFZ where I start the 1/2 mile at 90mph. How is that legitimate? You've agreed with me before on this so I don't know why the change of heart now. :)

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
LOL, I think what Terry said originally hardly qualified as trying to sell it. He mentioned to make sure there is a Dragy or a VBOX in the car. They are comparable to each other in resolution.

Personally, I will take a GPS record over a random track timeslip. Here in SC, there was an 1/8th mile track that was NOTORIOUS for having inflated trap speeds. Their lights had to be in the completely wrong place - a car that run 90 in the 1/8th there would run no better than 80 anywhere else. But guess what time everyone quoted?

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
Confirmed for time to distance dragy is showing absolute speed as traps, and not average over the last 60' as a track would show. It's the same bug the vbox has and will be fixed next app update.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Terry - would that mean that prior runs would then be able to be seen with the 60' average, or does it purge the GPS data once the run is over and it reports the results? If it's the former, then Tony's current results would be able to be updated once the app is updated right?

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Terry, one other thing - do you get full access to the raw data that Dragy captures, or only the results the app generates?

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
Terry - would that mean that prior runs would then be able to be seen with the 60' average, or does it purge the GPS data once the run is over and it reports the results? If it's the former, then Tony's current results would be able to be updated once the app is updated right?

I believe the app stores the raw data and then when you select to view a result the math is done to compute it, so once fixed he should be able to look backwards at those times to compare. I didn't write the app though so not 100% on that. We'll find out soon enough.

Also on the 1/2 mile racing, checkout my start at NFZ. It's a 1/2 mile race starting at the cones but no one checks how fast you're going at the cones. For it to be a "record" it's supposed to be 0mph... I was over 80mph here. A faster car with traction could be going even faster. At least with a GPS device in the car people can't claim runs like this for records. :)

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
I just want to add. A dragy representative emailed me letting me know the settings were set for actual MPH at the end of the 1/4. Where most strips average your speeds over the last 66ft. They are going to make that change, and that honestly to me perfectly explains the trap difference. With that change, I could not see any reason why a dragy could not be used for at least backing up some claims. It does seem to read slightly high on ET. We ran three 10-second passes, 10.95, 10.96, and 10.98. It did not give us credit for any of them, and logged them all as 11.0 passes. Either way, with the fix of the trap speed, I think its a game changer for it, and that is showing they care about accuracy. Big points in my book for dragy. @Terry@BMS sorry for being so critical, but it looks like for the best, it brought about an improvment.

Last edited: