DONT BUY A ENGINE FROM MMP

ColoradoN5X

Lurker
May 31, 2017
Ride
2008 BMW 335XI
This is my experience with MMP and all the stuff I went through because I decided to buy a “built” engine from them.

I purchased a built engine from Mauricio back in June when my first engine gave out due to a ringland failure. At the time I was going to drive to Texas to buy a used engine for $1900. I was contacted by Mauricio for a partial sponsorship on an built engine, I told him I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on a engine which is why I was going to get a used one. At this point he tells me due to my situation he could help me out and do the engine for $1900 and everything at his cost.
E438896B-19D2-455F-831D-841148A1E1E2.jpeg

C08DC79B-058B-4FBC-873C-E32CCCDE175F.jpeg

Well at $1900 and a partial sponsorship didn’t sound bad at all, so I took the offer. I was not able to provide my core because I couldn’t have the car sitting in the shop for a long time. So we both agreed and he was going to source a core him self and start the build on that engine. He did help me out with the core cost.
754C79FF-1FBA-449C-B1B8-C75D55966747.jpeg

At this point I agree to everything he says and he sources out his own core. Well it turns out I still paid more money for other parts the core needed and had wrong with it.
B8266588-95AC-40B8-BA27-BA3F9155A27B.jpeg

I’m not even close to upset because I figured $1900 was cheap but this isn’t what I wanted in the first place. I wanted to buy a used engine and get it over with it. Anyways fast forward I pay a few extra stuff here and there for this engine and extra parts I needed to make this a solid build.

Fast forward a few weeks and I finally get my engine, I have 2 local and very trustworthy people install my engine. The install was a success and no issues at all during install. We ask Mauricio if we can check my old engine to see what’s wrong with it he agrees to open it AS LONG as we put everything back. Me not knowing what I’m doing decided I didn’t want to mess with anything on the old core engine, but they go ahead and inspect it and find out the pistons are bad along with cracked ringlands like we had figured.
DC465F4D-8E5D-438A-BC86-B6E9A5F10ECB.jpeg

Anyways my guys put everything back together and when the engine ships back to Mauricio it turns out some parts were missing ( I’m only including this part to make sure I tell ALL of the story ) we agreed there was a few issues and he got it taken care off and resolved the situation.

Fast forward again to around 1300-1600 miles on the new engine, I start hearing a small faint lifter tick. I start getting worried and message Mauricio about this noice. He asks how loud it is and ask a few questions and what not and we agreed an oil change and a oil anlisays was needed.

Upon this I take the car to a local mechanic just to do a quick oil change and put new oil to see if it quiets down the noice.
8D2843D4-67C9-468A-996E-8A9BC9A06E77.png

We find some metal shavings in the oil filter and that’s where I started to get more alarmed. I did the oil change and I left that mechanic to go to another shop to do an oil analysis. I had spaced out and didn’t take the old oil in. So the only oil they could take was the oil that had maybe 20-30 miles on it. So I sent that in for an oil analysis and it comes out perfect.

I however don’t like the noice it’s making and the shop says the noice is indeed internal.

I pay $1000+ to remove the engine and have it shipped to Mauricio - MMP I paid $298 for shipping. Upon the removal I found out I had a blown head gasket
94245CAB-8114-49F9-8DC5-21AA0E1D6071.jpeg

Engine shipped to Mauricio - MMP and when they get to the engine they ADMIT it is there fault for not torquing the head properly.

1EF0B930-961C-4B22-87C0-521A85D3910D.jpeg

Then this quickly turns into a pointing game where I get blamed for using the wrong coolant. Then from using the wrong coolant he changes the story and says I over heated the car. I tell him that’s impossible because I never had my car throw any codes at all. He tells me he doesn’t know how but I overheated the engine. At this point I talk to a very well known engine builder who Mauricio is leaking out all the info to about my engine and using his words to trick me.

I talked to that engine builder and he says it is my fault, until I tell him about my head gasket, that’s when he said oh wow Mauricio - MMP didn’t tell me that. That’s a huge deal. Because of the blown gasket there is obviously more damage caused by it.

Mauricio then wants me to pay and I tell him I’m not paying anything at all because they had told me it was there fault first and they want to blame me for overheating the car. I told him what in the world am I supposed to do when I get the new engine and it runs perfectly with no codes then it fails again because it “randomly overheated”. Because I honestly had no signs of any overheating issues. I’m not stupid enough to drive the car if the car is hot.

We don’t talk for a bit and tells me my new engine is almost done but that the new issue my engine had failed was due to too much boost. My logs which I showed him only make 24-25 psi. He then blames me and says that’s not always accurate. I tell him I use the logs and boost gauge to monitor my boost.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I receive the new engine. Engine gets installed and upon 10-20 miles I noticed a huge oil leak.
7A3F5CED-7EB8-41A1-94C6-7C0AE33D51CE.png

I take it to the shop to have it checked, in my head I think that this is an oil line that snapped off or something along those lines, upon inspect it turned out to be the oil pan gasket. I immediately asked Mauricio -MMP to see if he had installed the oil pan gasket new. Which he claims he did along with new bolts.
DD4C4F5F-11FC-46FB-8E10-52080B906EF4.jpeg

A8C78CF6-E0D9-4679-BD66-B93A834E5663.jpeg

A0F9BCB4-FDA1-43CB-9ECD-4A2511ABBA26.jpeg

I had to pay $1100 for the labor of the oil pan gasket install. I’m an XI so labor isn’t cheap.

Mauricio - MMP did infact offer to send me a brand new oil pan gasket along with bolts. I had already purchased my own from my local BMW dealerships so I refused his offer. One of the main reasons I refused was because if this new oil pan leaks I knew he wouldn’t be held responsible, so now I’m down $136 of my money because I paid for the gasket to get this car moving since this is my 2nd engine from MMP.

I am not mad that my labor wasn’t covered the first time for the brand new 1400-1700 mile engine or something along those lines. I wasn’t even close to mad. Shit happens I gave him another chance.

I’m mad that my new engine with only 20 miles had an oil pan gasket leak and ALL I ASKED for was for him to pay half of the labor. I asked for $500 and him to pay the gasket and bolts. He refused and said HIS WARRANTY doesn’t cover it. I told him I don’t give a **** about his warranty anymore, if this engine fails I won’t be going back to the same person.

Apart from all this BS I’ve been dealing Mauricio keeps messaging a certain engine builder for advice because they have no clue what they are doing.

Overall summary is Mauricio is going to claim I got a engine at his cost. Which I have no clue if it’s true or not. After the $1900 and all the little stuff I had to pay the engine came out to about $2800-$3200 this doesn’t include shipping.

Now I’m more in the hole with this oil pan gasket leak.

To make matters worst this new engine with only 200 miles already has a good amount of blow by. I’m taking it to the shop for a leakdown test soon.

I know of 1 other person getting the runaround with Mauricio right now as well on his fully built engine.

I’m sure I’m missing a few little things here and there and I will defend my self at all cost with Mauricio when he replies.

My only option was to ship the engine back or ship the car $1400 or so for shipping. My warranty was voided upon my shop doing the work.

TL;TR

Mauricio -MMP first engine failed blamed him self then blamed me. Then new engine comes in and oil pan gasket leaks after 10-20 miles and refused to cover anything.

1A3C5389-4B8B-4AA7-9C63-0772943719BC.jpeg

96B34B25-C9B5-4176-8734-7BB743303220.jpeg

50BF8A37-B258-47ED-8F98-E71C397713E5.jpeg

222E9C4D-8388-41E7-80B3-202AE2ACD771.jpeg

Happy thanksgiving

Last edited:

MMP

Private
Nov 10, 2016
Houston, Texas
we were updating him as we found info on the tear down, Bryan left out the video I sent him with the final findings. The cylinders were blued from overheating, hone pattern was still intact but all the cylinders were blued and also expanded out from overheating the metal. Also the coolant jacket was completely full of white ash caked on from the coolant being cooked from overheating. See the video for the findings. Even though we strongly believe this engine was overheated as you can see from the video we STILL covered it under warranty and also paid for partial of upgraded JE forged pistons as a customer service.

Regarding the oil pan. A new gasket and oil pan bolts were used and torqued to spec. It’s possible the oil pan was hot when installing it and that shifted the oil pan and damaged the gasket on install. Of course Bryan wants to claim that gasket is revised and bolts are old but 100% they are new. either Way we offered to cover it under warranty but he wanted to repair it locally and we don’t pay another shops labor rate under our warranty. The warranty terms are clearly listed on our website but he wanted to do things his way and modify the warranty agreement to his liking.

Now Bryan has opened up chargebacks. Oh well I see how he is. Teaches me to ever offer a Sponsorhsip engine especially to a kid like this.

ColoradoN5X

Lurker
May 31, 2017
Ride
2008 BMW 335XI
Read everything again Mauricio, and this “kid” has done more rights then a wrong, I actually lookout for this community. You basically told a certain engine builder your at fault them try to blame me because you didn’t wanna cover the cost.

Also you want me to send my car and pay $1200-$1400 for shipping just so I can get blamed for any excuse? Lol after me getting blamed once I’m not risking it again.

If it’s at YOUR shop I will be blamed for anything.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: MMP

ColoradoN5X

Lurker
May 31, 2017
Ride
2008 BMW 335XI
I’ve spent lots of money on this car, you think I’m going to let it overheat it?

I opened a PayPal dispute because I refuse to pay for YOUR shops mistake.

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
There is too many missing pieces to the story, and a lot to still be reconciled. $1100 for a gasket install...wtf thats outrageous, at that rate it would cost you 3k to install a $1900 stock swap. And another 1k for install kit, fluids etc. What was your net loss in reality? Shit for $1900 ill let him try a few times. I have two motors that died at 700whp laying around

Reactions: Panzerfaust

ColoradoN5X

Lurker
May 31, 2017
Ride
2008 BMW 335XI
There is too many missing pieces to the story, and a lot to still be reconciled. $1100 for a gasket install...wtf thats outrageous, at that rate it would cost you 3k to install a $1900 stock swap. And another 1k for install kit, fluids etc. What was your net loss in reality? Shit for $1900 ill let him try a few times. I have two motors that died at 700whp laying around

Book install for an XI oil pan gasket is roughly $1200 I called 3-4 shops all charging the same.

I lost $1400 labor for the engine labor on my single turbo car, I lost another $1200+ for the oil pan gasket labor and bolts. And I lost a good few months of summer because my engine gave out the first thousand miles.

After he admitted to him being at fault them trying to turn the tables to me I would not trust a company a few times on an engine. If you have the time and money to keep spending on an engine go for it. Buy the MMP engine.

ColoradoN5X

Lurker
May 31, 2017
Ride
2008 BMW 335XI
I don’t care about the first engine I just included everything to share my experience.

I got pissed off when my brand new engine leaked from the oil pan and I had to pay to fix it even though it’s the shops fault.

Reactions: JuniorB

Evochuck

Nov 22, 2018
Ride
335 Xdrive

You have to drop the subframe, remove the steering rack, remove both axles, replace a few seals, you have at least 150$ of consumables(oil, diff fluid, gaskets, alu bolts). I believe BMW quotes 16 hours for this.

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
The white can be silicates or hard water not always from overheating.Im not sure on prices, are these dealerships or Indys? I do all the work on the car but have had help in the past at about $65hr. (California). Did your mechanic friend do the gasket installation? Does the new motor have blow by?

ColoradoN5X

Lurker
May 31, 2017
Ride
2008 BMW 335XI
The white can be silicates or hard water not always from overheating.Im not sure on prices, are these dealerships or Indys? I do all the work on the car but have had help in the past at about $65hr. (California). Did your mechanic friend do the gasket installation? Does the new motor have blow by?

These are Indy’s that are well trusted here, this shop did my single turbo install. They have done all my performance installs. Also the engine was sent with the oil pan gasket already installed. The shop only had to install the engine.

The car is now fixed but has some blowby, Again my issue is Mauricio -MMP did not pay for half of the labor, I didn’t ask for the full amount which is honestly fair, but I asked for half.

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
I would also suggest retorquing topend and filter gasktes,manifold etc, check pan once the engine is heat cycled a few times to prevent more headaches. Great heads up. Typically vendors do not cover additional expenses like shipping or other mechanics work.some people have friends who can write up an inflated 2k bill under a shops invoice meanwhile they diy the job in the home garage. Then it turns into speculation like you overheated based of forensics of white ash, and used bolts/gaskets based off your guess etc etc. Its always best to keep isues and resolutions all with in the two involved parties (client/vendor) unless expressed in a written agreement prior to involvement of a third party

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
That motor was severely overheated, not a shadow of a doubt in my mind. He's probably still using EMP Tuning. I wonder if he still has their sticker wrapped all over his slow piece of shit.

I love watching this kid get fucked, over and over again. Because it's his own stupidity, every step of the way.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I'm trying to figure out what the chargeback is for? You are mad because you had to pay labor on something after the fact? Did you receive what you paid for? I would agree that the oil pan gasket leak is a frustration but if I were Mauricio I sure as hell wouldn't warranty something that BMW can't keep from leaking. It could almost come across as you trying to score a completely free motor. I would hope that you aren't, but I've seen worse. Would you be doing a chargeback to the place that sold you a junkyard motor if it had an oilpan leak? I've dealt with junkyards before and even if they give you a crank up warranty - you have to remove and reinstall over and over again, which is increased labor every time for you.

I think some of these vendors should stick with people that do their own labor.

ColoradoN5X

Lurker
May 31, 2017
Ride
2008 BMW 335XI
That motor was severely overheated, not a shadow of a doubt in my mind. He's probably still using EMP Tuning. I wonder if he still has their sticker wrapped all over his slow piece of shit.

I love watching this kid get fucked, over and over again. Because it's his own stupidity, every step of the way.

my favorite part was the “slow piece of shit”

Car is tuned by Justin V8 Blait pal

ColoradoN5X

Lurker
May 31, 2017
Ride
2008 BMW 335XI
I'm trying to figure out what the chargeback is for? You are mad because you had to pay labor on something after the fact? Did you receive what you paid for? I would agree that the oil pan gasket leak is a frustration but if I were Mauricio I sure as hell wouldn't warranty something that BMW can't keep from leaking. It could almost come across as you trying to score a completely free motor. I would hope that you aren't, but I've seen worse. Would you be doing a chargeback to the place that sold you a junkyard motor if it had an oilpan leak? I've dealt with junkyards before and even if they give you a crank up warranty - you have to remove and reinstall over and over again, which is increased labor every time for you.

I think some of these vendors should stick with people that do their own labor.

I got sent a 2nd engine and the 2nd engine is BRAND NEW and the oil pan is leaking. Did you finish reading the whole post or just skim through it? I’m not mad I had to pay labor for the first engine at all. I’m mad that the NEW ENGINE had an oil pan gasket leak, because they reused parts.

ColoradoN5X

Lurker
May 31, 2017
Ride
2008 BMW 335XI
I got sent a 2nd engine and the 2nd engine is BRAND NEW and the oil pan is leaking. Did you finish reading the whole post or just skim through it? I’m not mad I had to pay labor for the first engine at all. I’m mad that the NEW ENGINE had an oil pan gasket leak, because they reused parts. Now if the oil pan started leaking over 1k miles id definitely wouldn’t blame MMP, I blame MMP though because engine had 10-20 miles before the leak. A BRAND NEW ENGINE....

Kennejp

Jul 7, 2017
Ride
07 e92 335i , 08 135i
What does “a brand new engine” consist of lol? Used engines on eBay go for 2500 with decent mileage so trying to grasp what you actually had built? Just sourced all the parts for fully built bottom end for shop car and JUST THE PARTS at wholesale we’re $3450...

Reactions: kayzrx82

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I'm pretty sure it's a stock crank and rods, with je pistons. New bearings of course and all needed machining, and gasket set. I don't see how you would be at 3500 for that. He did say Mauricio was sponsoring him so I'm sure he was eating some of the costs and labor. You can find junkyard motors for 1500 or less if you search around.