Does increased scalars mean tired injectors?

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I’m currently running stock fueling system with Stage 2 LPFP for occasional E50 use. On 93 oct for the last few years I’ve had to increase my 3D scalars in my custom 93 octane tune just to keep STFTs in check. Is needing to increase scalars a telltale sign that the injectors are getting tired?

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Not much variability between the banks. Scalars need to start around 1.05 in the low load / low rpm quadrant of the scalar table and go up to ~1.15-1.20 above 4000 rpm / high load (bottom right quadrant of the two tables) in order to hit 12.0-12.1 AFRs to keep STFTs below ~22.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Look at the bigger picture: trims adjust based feedback, but the starting points (base injection for calculated air mass) may be changing due to weather, engine temps, etc. If the starting points change, the trims may get larger or smaller depending on other factors. Of course, if you're switching back and forth between E50 and 93, resetting adaptations wouldn't hurt. If you still need big scalars with large trims to keep AFRs in check on 93, might look at other areas of your tune.

titium

Private
Nov 8, 2016
Australia
If you're running catless downpipes they'll change the VE of the motor throwing off open loop fueling. Scalars will need be modified to compensate.