Technical Doc Race 6266 @ 20psi - Health Check

suspenceful

10 Second Club
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i
I'd like to think I'm getting good at checking these, but it doesn't hurt to have another set of eyes on stuff. Car pulls smoothly, love the setup and features of JB4. I want to turn up the boost to ~28-30psi.

Any idea how to improve my post-shift power? It feels like a dog every time I bang gears. As you can see, timing takes a dump and takes forever to recover (if it does). I noticed at the beginning of the 4th gear switch, the pedal is at 100% but the throttle stays low for a bit. Why is this? I have traction control completely turned off.

Also, in the 3-4 log, you can see my trims and AFRs have some differentiation. I think my O2 sensors are on their way out. I'm clearing codes to normalize things until I can get some new Bosch sensors installed this week.

Datazap (CSV attached at bottom of post):
https://datazap.me/u/suspenceful/doc-race-6266-3rd-gear
https://datazap.me/u/suspenceful/doc-race-6266-3rd-4th-gear

Details:
  • N54 - 6MT
  • Doc Race Single Turbo Kit w/ 6266 BB turbo
  • JB4 & MHD - BMS ST TS E85 PI BEF
  • VRSF 7.5″ race intercooler
  • VRSF charge pipe with TiAL blow off valve
  • Precision Raceworks ignition coil kit
  • Precision Raceworks Stage 3+ LPFP with upgraded fuel feed line
  • Black Market Parts port injection kit
  • Burger Motorsports port injection controller
  • SPEC Stage 3+ clutch
  • MFactory single-mass flywheel
  • Burger Motorsports oil catch can
  • RB PCV
  • NGK 5992 1-step colder spark plugs
  • 3.5 bar TMAP sensor

41126631531_9685949040_c.jpg

39317780410_6e1b1b5eae_c.jpg

40231670625_7449fbcd45_c.jpg

Attachments

• 6266-3rd-gear.csv
    11.5 KB · Views: 258
  • 6266-3rd-to-4th-gear.csv
    13.3 KB · Views: 232

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i
You're hitting the tq limiter that's inside the DME. Shift bogged has plauge us 6mt guys since the dawn of time but Jake Y has a solution for it. It's going to be release after flex fuel. But another work around that I use was using to wotbox and set the rev limiter below the DME rev limiter and no lift shift however you run the risk of wotbox interrupting a charging coil.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Don’t let it hit the factory rev limiter and things will be better. The WOT box is a workaround that seems to work for most people.

chrisdfv

Corporal
Aug 29, 2017
Ride
E90 335i
I noticed at the beginning of the 4th gear switch, the pedal is at 100% but the throttle stays low for a bit. Why is this? I have traction control completely turned off.

The DME uses the throttle to control boost in certain situations. With a jb4, the parameter "DME_BT" represents the boost target set in the BEF(load), and the parameter "ecu psi" represents the amount of boost the jb4 tells the dme it's making. Actual boost is whatever boost says. You have throttle closure because ecu psi is exceeding the dme bt. It's not excessive and if timing wasn't flatlining you probably wouldn't feel that little bit of throttle closure. I wouldn't worry about it. The shift bog/post shift timing is what probably feels like the car is dead.

• Informative
Reactions: camberadam

suspenceful

10 Second Club
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i
Thanks for chiming in guys!

I usually get a few timing corrections, but don't know what to do to avoid them. I'm running winter blend E85 right now, and have PR coils with a 0.022" gap. Maybe I should close the gap more?

As far as the shift bog, I will look into the WOTBox, but might just wait until Jake Y released his solution. I saw a FB video today of a 6MT car just blowing through gears.

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
No update, he is a friend and drove to my house to get it the logic change flashed. It's in the queue behind flex fuel.

@jyamona great work, thanks for pushing this platform forward so much.

Sounds like you changed it from a fuel cut to an ignition cut? If so I'm kind of curious whether you disabled torque intervention on gear shift (c_gs_ena_inc_dec) and added your own logic in assembly or if you changed the output pin for the fuel cut logic from the injector to the ignition coil control pin that signals the IGBT's?

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
@jyamona great work, thanks for pushing this platform forward so much.

Sounds like you changed it from a fuel cut to an ignition cut? If so I'm kind of curious whether you disabled torque intervention on gear shift (c_gs_ena_inc_dec) and added your own logic in assembly or if you changed the output pin for the fuel cut logic from the injector to the ignition coil control pin that signals the IGBT's?

I deleted the whole routine for tq lim 2048 (and added some custom code for NLS / anti-lag, etc). That table you mentioned is for auto trans only, and should not be touched.

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
I deleted the whole routine for tq lim 2048 (and added some custom code for NLS / anti-lag, etc). That table you mentioned is for auto trans only, and should not be touched.

Got it, awesome work again. I haven't touched c_gs_ena_inc_dec or searched for it's routine in assembly so I wasn't sure if it was for all transmission types or auto only. I just saw it in WinOLS and was curious if that was related. I appreciate your response Jake.

Reactions: doublespaces