DIY tuning

cookiesowns

Private
Nov 13, 2017
Ride
2010 535i ZHP6 + 2017 M2 6MT
Those tables still require the model of the exhaust gas flow over the turbine is accurate and with catless downpipes, exhaust changes, aftermarket turbos, etc this is not the case.

What's the issue with modifying that table then?

I've been tuning on PID with just modification of that table, the occasional WG table adjustments, and P factor adjustments. the stock I and D ( also spool ) are just fine. BLM is also the main limit also.

Do you have access to EWG, or even M2 MEVD172G maps? The compressor map is setup quite differently compared to N55 PWG cars.

bradsm87

Corporal
Dec 15, 2016
Do you have access to EWG, or even M2 MEVD172G maps? The compressor map is setup quite differently compared to N55 PWG cars.

That's because the EWG compressor wheel is significantly larger. I guess BMW just inputted all the new data for the new turbo.

cookiesowns

Private
Nov 13, 2017
Ride
Those tables still require the model of the exhaust gas flow over the turbine is accurate and with catless downpipes, exhaust changes, aftermarket turbos, etc this is not the case.
With PID control we should be able to reduce the boost spikes we see post shift, going WOT and downshifting, high gear low rpm WOT, etc. These scenarios are hard to tune around when just using commanded WG.

Correct. I don't think with DP & exhaust changes the model of the compressor changes all that much. What is changed can easily be mapped out and tuned in when needed. Plus... the stock turbo falls off at higher flow ranges and it's quite well mapped in the characteristics

However with aftermarket turbos it definetly gets trickier, but still not super hard to implement if you have a general idea of how the table works, so you can enter numbers in with some interpolation/extrapolation of how you feel your particular car & setup is going to flow.

Comparing characteristics between other BMW maps also help a tuner get a better understanding.

Again it's not perfect, and I too am wanting to get a better understanding of how this table is translated in the DME to model out.

That's because the EWG compressor wheel is significantly larger. I guess BMW just inputted all the new data for the new turbo.

Not only is the compressor larger, the turbine is different along with different spooling characteristics ( 4" housing )

If you blend the two, it gives you a good comparison to go off of, and also take a look at the M2 compressor map which supposedly has the same BW turbo, but with a different turbofold.

@jyamona @LamboLover Do you guys have more information regarding the neural network model?

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
Jake has looked at it, we briefly discussed whether to present the data in some way (from ignition learning and fuel trims), but he found it has multiple dimensions. Maybe it can be reduced to load vs RPM to display usefully.

cookiesowns

Private
Nov 13, 2017
Ride
Jake has looked at it, we briefly discussed whether to present the data in some way (from ignition learning and fuel trims), but he found it has multiple dimensions. Maybe it can be reduced to load vs RPM to display usefully.

I would love to be able to see it in a raw form.

Sbrach

Corporal
Oct 2, 2017
Ride
N55 DCT E82
Figured I'd post a little teaser.

With some new tables defined I've been able to push the boost and ethanol content that it is possible to run on N55. E54 and 22psi on DI only. No PI. No Meth. No supplemental fueling. VS Stage 2.5 DW400 LPFP and a healthy OEM HPFP. Still have some more room to go I think too. Needs some more testing to smooth out rail pressure at high RPM a bit. As you can see it is oscillating a bit. Unfortunately, I'm out of town this week so probably won't get a chance until this weekend.

rail2.JPG

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017

With some new tables defined I've been able to push the boost and ethanol content that it is possible to run on N55. E54 and 22psi on DI only. No PI. No Meth. No supplemental fueling. VS Stage 2.5 DW400 LPFP and a healthy OEM HPFP. Still have some more room to go I think too. Needs some more testing to smooth out rail pressure at high RPM a bit. As you can see it is oscillating a bit. Unfortunately, I'm out of town this week so probably won't get a chance until this weekend.

View attachment 12575
Please share your tune!

• Agree
Reactions: Chrysheight

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2

!!!!!!!!!! So awesome brother. Can’t wait to try it out. Thanks for all of your hard work.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017

View attachment 12575
Are we also to conclude that the VS Stage 2.5 DW400 LPFP is an important mod here for keeping your rail pressure nearly flat? What other mods do you have and what TunerPro secret tables / which XDF did you change? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Please share your tune!

Take it easy lol, it's mostly getting the late E on par with the N54 (same hpfp) from a calibration perspective. There's not nearly as much improvement on the N54 side. BMW artificially limited the max output of the HPFP on late E N55 vs. N54.

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
Take it easy lol, it's mostly getting the late E on par with the N54 (same hpfp) from a calibration perspective. There's not nearly as much improvement on the N54 side. BMW artificially limited the max output of the HPFP on late E N55 vs. N54.

it sounds like you knew the early N55 (2011 and early 2012) hpfp had an artificial cap for a long time. what are your thoughts on why the tables to get us on par with the N54 calibration are not part of the xdf available to the public? is someone holding out on us? I have been scratching my head for a long time trying to understand why I can barely run e30 and I see n54s run e50 and more power. without Steve sharing the work that he is doing, I would never know this was possible.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
it sounds like you knew the early N55 (2011 and early 2012) hpfp had an artificial cap for a long time. what are your thoughts on why the tables to get us on par with the N54 calibration are not part of the xdf available to the public? is someone holding out on us? I have been scratching my head for a long time trying to understand why I can barely run e30 and I see n54s run e50 and more power. without Steve sharing the work that he is doing, I would never know this was possible.

Easy there buddy. I just found out yesterday when I talked to him. I have yet to look at anything N55 personally, as I am too busy with N54.

Tough crowd.

Reactions: doublespaces

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
Easy there buddy. I just found out yesterday when I talked to him. I have yet to look at anything N55 personally, as I am too busy with N54.

Tough crowd.

agree the crowd can be tough at times. I definitely am not one of them nor was I trying to be. my apologies if I came across the wrong way, definitely not my intent. was just trying to quickly type a post during a short break at work. I genuinely wanted to know your thoughts on why this has not been released via MHD.

I also appreciate your efforts and hopefully your time will free up one day to helps us early n55ers out.

Reactions: Jake@MHD

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
Steve has done some great work here. The N55/S55 does not need many of the code changes that N54 (and things like R35 GT-R) benefit from and most issues can be solved through calibration, but new features are ready for testing on the newer cars, awaiting prototype hardware. I pushed the EE to pack a lot into a small OBD device that will unlock flex fuel (which does a lot more but calling it flex fuel), safety features, wireless realtime tuning, and other benefits.

Reactions: houtan and Jake@MHD

Sbrach

Corporal
Oct 2, 2017
Ride
N55 DCT E82
Thanks for all the help you’ve given me and the great work you are doing to push this platform forward. Can’t wait for your device. Real Time tuning is going to be awesome. Flex fuel will be nice too for trips out of town.

Sbrach

Corporal
Oct 2, 2017
Ride
N55 DCT E82
Are we also to conclude that the VS Stage 2.5 DW400 LPFP is an important mod here for keeping your rail pressure nearly flat? What other mods do you have and what TunerPro secret tables / which XDF did you change? Thanks in advance.

I would say a LPFP of sufficient capacity is a requirement for an upgrade turbo in general. On a Walbro 450 we were unable to run E30 at 18psi. Was limited to around 17psi tapering to 16 and the HPFP was starting to starve. The VS Stage 2+ is a DW400 in the VS bucketless bracket. It has been working great. You would think the Walbro would have been more than sufficient. Not sure what the issue was but the DW400 replacement has been solid.

Mod lists:

My 135i - 2011 DCT, Pure Stage 2, custom 3" inlet to stock intake, DP and chargepipe (unknown brand, came with car), magnaflow full exhaust (resonator and muffler), VRSF 7.5" Race core IC, CSF radiator, VRSF turbo outlet, GFB DV+ without main spring, n20 plugs. Currently running 19-20 psi on E54. Around 22psi I hit false knock in 5 and 6 due to dct flywheel resonance. Desensitizing Knock and SK tables in that rev range shows promise but may be dangerous so is still being evaluated. Summer in AZ means I'm pushing WGDC as far as I'd like to hit 20psi anyway. Will revisit in Fall.

Friend's car in the posted log - 335i AT, Pure Stage 2, pure inlet, VRSF chargepipe, VRSF DP, VRSF Turbo Outlet, VRSF 7.5" race core IC, Injen 3" full intake, VRSF full exhaust, GFB DV+ with the main spring, n20 plugs. Currently running 21-23psi on E54. The Injen intake and VRSF exhaust really make a difference in WGDC so we will continue pushing boost on this car. 22PSI at 6k is about the limit in these temps but we might be able to improve the midrange some more.

As far as the newly discovered tables to make this possible without supplemental fueling, be a little patient. Still fine tuning and figuring out the best way to release this info. Thanks.

Reactions: hardparker

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
so with the walbro450, you were limited to 17ish psi, even with the new tables? if so, that suuuuuucks, for me haha.

Sbrach

Corporal
Oct 2, 2017
Ride
N55 DCT E82
No this was before the new tables but the new tables won’t help if you are starving the HPFP. Around 17-18 psi was the limit on E30 if I remember correctly. You would think a 450 would be plenty. Might help to find additional tables for fuel mass request sent to EKP.