DIY Tuning throttle closures PID adding WGDC over target

FredHarwood

Lurker
Apr 26, 2018
UK
Ride
335i N54 2006
Could anyone help me with a tuning issue I have. I've been self tuning my ECU since the JB4 decided to give a couple weeks back.

I'm running hybrid turbos, FBO with a N20 map sensor. I've scaled the N20 with MHDs 3 cell sensor tables and adjusted the load based tables to suit.

I've managed to get my boost target nice and flat using the BLM, BRO boost ceiling and boost target modifier maps. I've got the PID and WGDC very close now but I'm still struggling with throttle closures.

The boost actual is very close to target. The PID seams to be adding WGDC when over boost target.

I feel like I must have missed somthing but I'm not sure where. Any help would be appreciated, I've added the latest log for viewing.

Attachments

• 2022-05-24 20_16_21 I8A0S FTP 98RON v v22.bin.csv
    20.6 KB · Views: 70

FredHarwood

Lurker
Apr 26, 2018
UK
Ride
335i N54 2006
Managed to get this under control now! Turns out I was riding on the boost ceiling and any over boost was causing throttle closures to control!

Adjusted my BLM down and increased the boost ceiling.

It gets confusing with the 3 Table MAP, boost ceiling is set to 1.28 but that equates to around 24psi.

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
Lower Base table in the range of 2900-3900 by 20 percent. This gonna solve. Thats how you control Load.

FredHarwood

Lurker
Apr 26, 2018
UK
Ride
335i N54 2006
Lower Base table in the range of 2900-3900 by 20 percent. This gonna solve. Thats how you control Load.
Thanks for the heads up, will have a play tonight and post some logs tomorrow šŸ˜€ its already looking heaps better now after i adjusted the boost ceiling + BLM.

FredHarwood

Lurker
Apr 26, 2018
UK
Ride
335i N54 2006
Looking better! Not a 100% happy with the boost curve yet I need to dial in the boost pressure target modifier map. I think that's what's giving it the odd curve at lower RPM. Once I've got the curve set to what I want I can dial in the WGDC which seams a far easier task than getting a flat boost curve (I'm a novice at these MSD80 I'm sure you can tell lol).

Picture1.png
Picture2.png

I've tried to keep the values nice a flat but it just gives it this wonky curve. If I set it to 1.075 across the board it has a weird rod bending boost hump 25-3000rpm. Think I need to look at setting the BPTM map to flat 1.075 and then modify the boost request offset map or boost ceiling map to control the target boost under 4800rpm. Oddly the boost target is lovely and flat after 4800rpm. I'd be happy with just 19-20 psi flat target if I could get it....... Shame setting the boost ceiling lower causes throttle closures when slightly over boost target! That would be too easy.

Anyway far happier than before without all the throttle closures. Load target set to 200 and a tapered boost limit multiplier has gotten me close. Hopefully a bit more tweaking and the target boost will look tidy. Then I can finally start to dial in the WGDC.

Picture3.png

IF anyone has some tips/tricks to share I would be most grateful.

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
That's is result of you touching BRO. return it to stock. And try never touch. Use bptm ceiling combo. That gives flat target

Reactions: Xavphom

FredHarwood

Lurker
Apr 26, 2018
UK
Ride
335i N54 2006
Managed to get out in the car to do some logs yesterday. I'm still trying to figure out this boost target. There's still a hump peaking at 3800, while its not to bad it does make the car feel like a diesel. Peaks at 20 psi then falls to a flat 19.2. I wish there was just a load to boost target table like other ECU's I've tuned before.

Untitled.png

Checked my BRO and moved it back to stock, its helped but not cured the problem. I was hoping by setting the BRO to a flat value it would give a flat output but guess not. Moved back to stock (RHS) anyhow.

?hash=b8889cb3249392029e26200518f166ad.png
Picture2.png

I need to figure out exactly what tables go into the calculation for the boost target. I've heard that there's a bit of a guide floating about the internet, does anyone have a copy of V8 Baits guide? Seams all the websites with it listed are dead now.

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    209.8 KB · Views: 45

Sava666

Corporal
Dec 14, 2020
Managed to get out in the car to do some logs yesterday. I'm still trying to figure out this boost target. There's still a hump peaking at 3800, while its not to bad it does make the car feel like a diesel. Peaks at 20 psi then falls to a flat 19.2. I wish there was just a load to boost target table like other ECU's I've tuned before.

View attachment 68980

Checked my BRO and moved it back to stock, its helped but not cured the problem. I was hoping by setting the BRO to a flat value it would give a flat output but guess not. Moved back to stock (RHS) anyhow.

View attachment 68981View attachment 68979

I need to figure out exactly what tables go into the calculation for the boost target. I've heard that there's a bit of a guide floating about the internet, does anyone have a copy of V8 Baits guide? Seams all the websites with it listed are dead now.
Thats not stock values. Find stock bin at google search for dmacpro91 repo and download complete bin pack

FredHarwood

Lurker
Apr 26, 2018
UK
Ride
335i N54 2006
Okay thanks for that!

I didn't even realize they were not the stock values. All the bins I've been looking at are JB4 BEF and RPF's base tables. I will hunt down that pack now :)

FredHarwood

Lurker
Apr 26, 2018
UK
Ride
335i N54 2006
Got the dmacpro91 repo downloaded and opened up the stock bin for I8A0S and the values are the same. I checked the IKM0S bin for comparison and they are different. I will try these values to see if it helps me out and post a log.

Picture1.png

FredHarwood

Lurker
Apr 26, 2018
UK
Ride
335i N54 2006
Got out to do a log today with the BRO set to the standard value (For I8AOS). Still has a weird hump around 3700rpm still 4700rpm where the target is flat.

Picture12.png

Graph on left is BRO set to 97% Across the board and graph on right is stock I8A0S. Its just made it look a bit smoother but that could just be the log it self. I'm going to try using the BRO values from the IKMOS flash and do another log to see how this influences it.

I left my BRO set at 1.050 (not 1.010) as I have the N20 map sensor (3 cell scaling) if I set it to 1.010 with a 1.28bar boost ceiling I would get 24psi which is too much for my fuel pump to handle at the moment. My understanding is the BPTM sits at the end of all the boost target calculations and thus this would not effect the shape with a flat graph at 1.050.