Distress Call: Save my N54....

Tuppidsay

Corporal
Aug 3, 2017
Seattle, WA
Ride
2008 535i
So I installed some GC lites, Ins & Outs, charge pipe, bov, pcv, bms oil catch can, downpipes, port meth kit, etc etc etc. Car was running great. Working with a tuner to dial it all in and I had a problem. Long story short....turbos out...turbos back in....car is not happy. To rule out as much as possible I turn off the meth kit, set jb4 to map 1, bef back to bms pump bef, and do some logs. Car throws a code for an bank2 sensor 1 signal. Intermittent flat lining. So i replace both upstream with new Bosch units. Car still isn't happy. At about 5.5k rpms trims and rail pressure freak out. Installed another hpfp to rule it out, same problem. No it wasn't a new pump but it does the exact same thing so i figure chances are low that the new to me pump has the same problem. So at this point i'm at a loss. I still drive it 70+ miles a day and it runs fine. Even during pulls it feels fine but the logs look like this...

Anyone seen this?

https://datazap.me/u/tuppidsay/not-hpfp?log=0&data=1-10-14-35

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Untitled.jpg

Attachments

• 2017-12-31 12_52_58.csv
    14.2 KB · Views: 156

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
I think trims are just moving there as the DME BT is moving there, and boost is less than DME BT. It's something your tuner can fix in the BEF. Have a higher boost log to look at?
123117_0534.jpg

Tuppidsay

Corporal
Aug 3, 2017
Seattle, WA
Ride
2008 535i

Attachments

• before.csv
    10.4 KB · Views: 186

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
I don't have any with higher boost without meth. The ones i do have are before the turbos were replaced. (same turbos) Is it normal for the Pump BEF to have issues after installing hybrid turbos on map1? Here is one from the day before the turbos went out. custom bef, meth, 27psi target

On the log itself I see base dutycycle adapting, as expected if doing a new turbo setup. What issues am I looking for here? Log seems fine at first glance.

123117_0817.jpg

Tuppidsay

Corporal
Aug 3, 2017
Seattle, WA
Ride
2008 535i
Thats my point Terry. Everything was great (the second log). I R&R'd the turbos flash back to a bms pump bef and map1 to get a base line and bam im seeing hpfp and trims going nuts. (first log) You mentioned something about DME BT, I don't know what that is. Tell me exactly what you want me to do and log and i will get it for you. LOL

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
I went through kinda similar hybrid woes. Follow the instructions for base settings on n54tech.com
As well as your 10 11 and 12 menus.
They are very critical as well!

Following the log like you are, you may be chasing a symtom not the actual issue.

Good luck with it bud

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
Thats my point Terry. Everything was great (the second log). I R&R'd the turbos flash back to a bms pump bef and map1 to get a base line and bam im seeing hpfp and trims going nuts. (first log) You mentioned something about DME BT, I don't know what that is. Tell me exactly what you want me to do and log and i will get it for you. LOL

Hardly going nuts, minor movement due to the lower boost map. Barely worth paying any attention to. But it's rather easy to fix if it bothers you for some reason. The LOAD curve within the BEF would need to be adjusted. If you run a higher map on the JB4 end, that should also resolve it.

Tuppidsay

Corporal
Aug 3, 2017
Seattle, WA
Ride
2008 535i
Swings in Hpf from 7 to 14 is minor? Seemed like something to investigate to me. But I'm a novice at best. Here is today's map2 pull. Seems to clear up pretty nice. Gonna load my tuners bef and try 20 psi flat with meth.

Attachments

• 2018-01-01 12_09_08.csv
    12 KB · Views: 223

Tuppidsay

Corporal
Aug 3, 2017
Seattle, WA
Ride
2008 535i
question....dont see it in your specs, but still running a stock LPFP?

Yes im still running the stock lpfp. Low pressure readings are good.

OMG, did I make it in time for the partout?

Missed it by like 5 minutes, sorry man...Lol

Silly question - you said one of your O2s was flat lining. Do you have a DP fix installed by chance?

The "flat lining" was when the o2 code would set and the dme would substitute a degfault value, new o2 sensors fixed that issue. I don't run a dp fix. I turn the codes off in the tune.

The entire issue was corrected by running more boost....never happens right? For what ever reason the BMS bef wasn't working right with map1 and my car. Terry caught it. Map 6 @ 17psi made everything smooth out. Loaded my tuners bef, corrected a wmi leak and a boost leak. Now its running pretty good at 21psi tapered to 26psi at redline.

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
You are putting the cart way before the horse. Upgrade your fuel system properly, or your next thread will be about a blown motor. I would also invest the small amount of money in a good tuner. You spent money on the best stock location turbos on the market, so do the few extra things needed to get everything running in harmony.

Reactions: Itsbrokeagain

Tuppidsay

Corporal
Aug 3, 2017
Seattle, WA
Ride
2008 535i
I'm on 92 octane and port injected meth. I log religiously, LPFP never goes under 70PSI. Latest log shows 73 at 6800rpms. Steve at fuel-it tested the e60 fuel pump and said it has a much larger turbine in the factory bosch pump than a 1 or 3 series. He got .8GPM out of it vs 1GPM from a walbro 480. Regardless its on my list along with switching to a torquebyte cm5-lt WMI controller and a stand alone tune. I am currently working with a tuner on a BEF for my jb4 and things are progressing well. This is my latest log at 26psi, I generally run 22psi daily. Oh and yeah, GC lites are fucking epic. Sure even more power would be nice but it makes for a fantastic daily driver. And I'm not putting 10k into a built long block.
26.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Itsbrokeagain