Cyl 6 misfire

N54gasm

Sergeant
Feb 6, 2017
New Freedom
www.spoolnmotorsports.com
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
Bro i just found out that fcp euro(who i bought injectors from) offers free lifetime replacement of all parts they sale. Including brakes,spark plugs, windshield wipers. Literally everything lol.

Hmm. . . May try that with spark plugs lol

At the risk of sounding silly, but what's the big deal about disabling misfire detection on a higher powered N54, especially since it appears to be a common issue on this platform as boost is increased. It could just be an artifact of unequal cyl filling, pumping losses, or even crankshaft deflection @ higher cyl pressures being picked up as misfires. Many other platforms do just fine without this additional safety nanny, so unless the misfire detection thresholds can be found and modified, why bother with them?

Because it's a "bandaid" and it proper. I had to do it on my 900hp dsm.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
So the SMFW vibrates more (in general) than the DMFW, just not so much that it causes the false misfire at high RPM?
This is something I want to read up on some more.
I could be wrong but what I imagine is happening is the dmfw is designed to dampen vibration due to acceleration of crank during piston firing which works great at low rpm and lower power levels. Our dme detects misfire not knock by picking up on a lack of acceleration at the crank for a certain duration so high power cars gain the ability at high rpm to accelerate the crank so fast that the springs no longer can rebound back to nuetral position so when the next cylinder fires the spring has no more travel which in turn allows the springs to return to nuetral next power stroke. It's really hard to put into words but if you visualize you can see how the dme would see inconsistent speeds which would read as complete misfire or incomplete burn. I'm sure false knock could also come about from harmonics but that could easily be fixed with cans on the dyno

• Informative
Reactions: NoQuarter

N54gasm

Sergeant
Feb 6, 2017
New Freedom
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
Wanted to update the thread. . .misfire seems to be gone. It WAS the tune/JB4 settings. With the help of Jon Russell (JSR Tuning) got it squared away. MANY thanks to Jon, very helpful, quick to respond, and saved me from pulling my hair out from chasing that damn misfire!

Reactions: langsbr

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Excellent!
Did he tell you what part of the tune he adjusted?
AFR?
Timing?
Boost?
VANOS?
Etc.
Inquiring minds want to know. Lol

N54gasm

Sergeant
Feb 6, 2017
New Freedom
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
It was apparently JB4 settings. Jon helped me get my trims in spec, and I kept an eye on my hpfp and trims and adjusted fuel bias, and that was it. Apparently it misfired beforehand either being too rich/lean. I could only do 4-5 pulls as it rained, but as of those 4-5 pulls it didnt misfire, so its a plus!

Reactions: Jeffman

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
It was apparently JB4 settings. Jon helped me get my trims in spec, and I kept an eye on my hpfp and trims and adjusted fuel bias, and that was it. Apparently it misfired beforehand either being too rich/lean. I could only do 4-5 pulls as it rained, but as of those 4-5 pulls it didnt misfire, so its a plus!
Fucken ay. Glad to hear. Lean danger evaded

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
This was most likely my issue. I kept pushing the car each round to test things out, then finally it gave out. My initial issue was only cyl 6 misfire.what item from your logs, did your tuner reference?

N54gasm

Sergeant
Feb 6, 2017
New Freedom
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
The old tuner said it wasnt the tune that it was hardware related. But after changing EVERYTHING related to cyl 6, and all test's checked out (compression, leakdown) I thought otherwise. Then when changing to the bms e85 bef, it changed to only cyl 5 misfire and 6 never misfired again. Coming from that, I KNEW it was a jb4 setting/tuner issue. So I talked to Jon Russell, and mentioned the trims and gave me some pointers and how to get the trims to level out and to aim for a value of 25. After I did that, never had another misfire.

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
The old tuner said it wasnt the tune that it was hardware related. But after changing EVERYTHING related to cyl 6, and all test's checked out (compression, leakdown) I thought otherwise. Then when changing to the bms e85 bef, it changed to only cyl 5 misfire and 6 never misfired again. Coming from that, I KNEW it was a jb4 setting/tuner issue. So I talked to Jon Russell, and mentioned the trims and gave me some pointers and how to get the trims to level out and to aim for a value of 25. After I did that, never had another misfire.
Did you have them set to 45-40 range previously ?

N54gasm

Sergeant
Feb 6, 2017
New Freedom
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
They were all over the place before. Sometimes it dropped to 0, others it was higher and caused a fluctiation with the HPFP pressure which the engine didnt like and caused a misfire. Got the trims more stable around 25 and it pulls solid, and no misfire

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
C5F43E1C-BC22-42EB-81DC-D9ACE8A05FE9.jpeg

N54gasm

Sergeant
Feb 6, 2017
New Freedom
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
Exactly. But previous tuner said it wasn't tune related lol. After I looked at the logs and asked some advice from other knowledgable tuners, for it solved. My car just so happens to be like a woman on her period, very picky and emotional lol

N54gasm

Sergeant
Feb 6, 2017
New Freedom
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
Figure id update this. The misfire did go away, but then came back. After replacing everything it HAD to be phantom knock as it was pulling timing on cyl5. Comp and leakdown is damn near perfect so its not an engine issue. Disabled misfire detection above 6k and she pulled good (can tell if a engine is misfiring). It pulled good. While changing stuff I also swapped the pr coil from cyl5 to cyl2. Well while cyl5 is still pulling timing (not as much) the engine started to misfire on cyl1. WTF, NEVER had a misfire on cyl1. So after troubleshooting, the only thing I did not replace was the pr coils. . .

Bought new stock coils, regapped plugs to .020 and bam, didnt have a misfire of the 8 pulls pretty much back to back. Whereas before it was like every other pull basically.

Last edited:
Reactions: Optigrab

Optigrab

Corporal
Sep 19, 2018
Ride
08 135i
I checked the install instructions found this

Precision Raceworks, LLC warrants to the consumer that all Precision Raceworks products will be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of twelve (12) months from date of the original purchase. Products that fail within this 12 month warranty period will be repaired or replaced at Precision Raceworks discression, when determined by Precision Raceworks that the product failed due to defects in material or workmanship

I also found a TSB on MSD80 misfires due to a software error but i have no idea how to check who is affected

Attachments

• N54 E9x, E82, E88 - Misfire Faults Stored Due to DME Software Error.pdf
    98.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited: