Custom tune or MHD?

JonEQuest

Private
Nov 7, 2018
Kenner Louisiana USA
Ride
2008 335i Convertible
I have a 2008 E93 N54, rebuilt recently with 17t's, catless DP and exhaust, 2" inlets and outlets, index 12 injectors, Eldor coils, 2 step colder plugs, etc. I have just installed a 2nd walbro 450 fuel pump, Phoenix intake with PI (750cc injectors) and a BMS injection controller connected to the JB4 that I have had for while. I am trying to decide if I should pay for a custom tune (I was quoted $400) or just use some of the MHD ones for higher stages. If I use MHD, will I have to still custom adjust it? Is it risky to run and adjust an MHD pre-made tune? So far "tuning" for me has been just using map 5 on my JB4.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
I have a 2008 E93 N54, rebuilt recently with 17t's, catless DP and exhaust, 2" inlets and outlets, index 12 injectors, Eldor coils, 2 step colder plugs, etc. I have just installed a 2nd walbro 450 fuel pump, Phoenix intake with PI (750cc injectors) and a BMS injection controller connected to the JB4 that I have had for while. I am trying to decide if I should pay for a custom tune (I was quoted $400) or just use some of the MHD ones for higher stages. If I use MHD, will I have to still custom adjust it? Is it risky to run and adjust an MHD pre-made tune? So far "tuning" for me has been just using map 5 on my JB4.
Use a BEF for the JB4.
You can use an OTS BEF and tweak duty bias, fuel bias, etc as needed and you will be fine. If you want it a little more aggressive, go with a custom tune.
My E93 is set up very similarly to yours. I am currently on the BETA firmware which allows map 6,7,8 to be user adjusted vs map 6 only on regular firmware.

OceanSide_N54

Jul 19, 2022
Not to bring this back to life, but curious what tuners you were considering? I’m in a similar situation with Pure 600’s (minus the extra fueling you have).