Coweling and engine bay aero

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
The last time I ran my car doing some 100-200 tests, I had oil and water temps around 105C by the time I got home.
The intake temp was reading 30C.

The car was sat on the drive and I decided to open the bonnet\hood to see if the IAT temps would quickly drop from having access directly to outside air.
It was quite windy so lots of air was passing over the cone intakes

Temps didn't drop.

OK the car was idling. I also spray meth during power runs. Ambient temp was something like 19C at the time.
Show there would have been some heating of the air charge from the components it passed before reaching the TMAP.
I was surprised. I thought opening the bonnet would maybe see a 5C drop pretty quickly.

I'd be most interested in knowing if the average temp around the cone intakes is higher or lower with or without the cowl at higher speeds. Like 90mph which you can get away with on UK roads if you stay alert.

Decided after a few years running a 7" FMIC to go up to a 7.5". No major reason other than I'm hoping for a marginal improvement in IATs.
Also ordered a front lip to limit air passing under the car a bit and hopefully improve suction under the car. Again it's more cosmetic choice than anything.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Cold air intakes on our cars do stuff all, better of investing in the best ic you can afford or willing to buy.

Opening the bonnet will do stuff all for ic temps, actually idling makes it go up.

That's the reason I was advocating for the last 2 to 3 years for mhd to incorporate the Max cool mode feature

Last edited:

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
Cold air intakes on our cars do stuff all, better of investing in the best ic you can afford or willing to buy.

Opening the bonnet will do stuff all for ic temps, actually idling makes it go up.

That's the reason I was advocating for the last 2 to 3 years for mhd to incorporate the Max cool mode feature

I've a JB4 since 2014.
Max cool is good but from what I recall not massively effective when stationary. Ran it at the drag strip during 30C days and temps barely moved.
Just too much hot material in the engine bay.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
That's the problem with stepped ic's, once you get something like I designed using the plazmaman tube and fin core it drops very quickly.

You can physically see the temps just drop as soon as you turn the fan on.

We spanked my car during a 45c deg day with no timing pull