Correct shotgun belt?

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
I've got an E92 I've been trying to fit this kit. It comes with a 5mm longer belt but it just isn't fitting. I've put belts on before with no issues. It's not getting hung up on anything. I just stripped out my 2nd tensioner trying to get this belt to fit. Damn safety torx is domed at the top so it doesn't sit far enough inside the tensioner...

What part number are you guys using on your shotgun kits for the belt. Do I have to max the tensioner out past where the pin comes on a new one? Or can I just get a longer belt? I think 10mm bigger than stock?

I've tried every possible way to get the belt on. It's on right now but the routing isn't correct. I just want the car to run so I put it on however it would fit. Only had one shot because I stripped it out again. Now I need a proper set of torx that is not domed at the end, along with a new tensioner.

• Sad
Reactions: Torgus

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
The belt supplied is too short. I got it to fit but the tensioner was almost maxed out. I tried many different belts from the auto parts store and they were too long. I ended up having to get a belt from overseas. Gates 7pk1888. It fits perfect and put the tensionee in the middle of travel like the factory belt.

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Finally put a new belt on after the old one that was too tight along with the bracket not being 100% flat where the bolts go thru, from where it was originally bent, caused the bolt head to break off. The metal bubbled/flared up from when the bracket was originally made/bent into shape.

I sanded it flat and installed a new bolt along with a 7pk1865 belt and some washers and all is well. The bracket was slightly bent but not enough to cause any issues. It straightened out when I reinstalled. This time I added Washers in between the bracket and AC Compressor for a little extra clearance. Like I said I had to do a little grinding to make sure the new bolts fit 100% flat against the bracket so it didn't push against the bolt unevenly and break the head off like happened last time. For some reason the instruction say not to use washers with the bolts going thru the bracket but I decided to use some thin spring washers to take up any space in case the surface wasn't perfect.

It broke the rear most bolt off that goes thru the VTT bracket and AC Compressor. From what I could tell the reason is simply because the bracket wasn't flat when it was bolted down. Just something I wouldn't even thing to check on a brand new kit. Not knocking the kit, it works well! Just something to be aware of.

My car is a March built 2007 so maybe that is why I needed a longer belt... Im not sure, the one that came with the kit was way too tight imo. The tensioner was literally maxed out. Not sure if it was the bracket or the belt causing the bolt to break but I think they both played a role. I always look for the cause whenever something goes wrong so it doesn't end up happening again. That is what I came up with. Maybe it will help somebody in the future...

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
After putting a bigger belt on and driving for a while, somehow the shotgun bracket broke... Luckily I was able to weld it up at work and reinstall and she's been going strong ever since.

My ofhg and oil cooler gaskets started leaking again so there was oil leaking for about a month before I got around to fixing it. When the bracket broke the belt slipped off and I got extremely lucky because I don't think anything got into the crank seal. I pulled the belt strands out and counted all 7 ribs so I think she's good in that regard 🙏 🙏 I only drove about a half a mile when the belt slipped off around the corner on my way into work.

Just thought I'd share my experience... It broke right where the front "nut" was welded on and where it was bent for the top front section where the bolt goes... Bad explanation, I know.

I've now installed this same kit 3 times... It came loose the first time after many months of driving, then after putting a longer belt on somehow the bracket breaks, and now hopefully it stays together... Not sure what I'll do if I have a 3rd problem with this kit. I'm very careful when installing anything on my car and have done everything on my own. I really don't think it was an install problem and this is not meant to throw shade at VTT. I like what this kit allows me to do, and I think it's better than the other OD kits. Just sharing my experience

Maybe the bracket was in a bind from my previous install when I said it was slightly bent and straightened when reinstalled. Im just trying to be 100% transparent. If I fucked it up, I fucked it up, that's on me. If I didn't that's fine too, the cars runs now!

Last edited:

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
After putting a bigger belt on and driving for a while, somehow the shotgun bracket broke... Luckily I was able to weld it up at work and reinstall and she's been going strong ever since.

My ofhg and oil cooler gaskets started leaking again so there was oil leaking for about a month before I got around to fixing it. When the bracket broke the belt slipped off and I got extremely lucky because I don't think anything got into the crank seal. I pulled the belt strands out and counted all 7 ribs so I think she's good in that regard 🙏 🙏 I only drove about a half a mile when the belt slipped off around the corner on my way into work.

Just thought I'd share my experience... It broke right where the front "nut" was welded on and where it was bent for the top front section where the bolt goes... Bad explanation, I know.

I've now installed this same kit 3 times... It came loose the first time after many months of driving, then after putting a longer belt on somehow the bracket breaks, and now hopefully it stays together... Not sure what I'll do if I have a 3rd problem with this kit. I'm very careful when installing anything on my car and have done everything on my own. I really don't think it was an install problem and this is not meant to throw shade at VTT. I like what this kit allows me to do, and I think it's better than the other OD kits. Just sharing my experience

Maybe the bracket was in a bind from my previous install when I said it was slightly bent and straightened when reinstalled. Im just trying to be 100% transparent. If I fucked it up, I fucked it up, that's on me. If I didn't that's fine too, the cars runs now!
So you fucked up is what I got out of this ? 🤷🏾‍♂️

Reactions: GreyNBlueE92

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
So you fucked up is what I got out of this ? 🤷🏾‍♂️
Yessir

Quality of the kit could be a bit better as well in my opinion. The bolt didn't sit flat the first time so it came loose. Bracket shouldn't have been like that but didn't see it when installing due to the angle. It bubbles up where it was bent from being made causing the bracket to not be completely flat.

After some tweaking and a longer belt all is well now. The bracket likely broke because it was bent because of the first fuck up. The first fuck up, I believe, was from what I said above. Some may think I didn't tighten the bolt(s) enough... That's fine too. Im just stating my experience

If I fucked up, I'll admit it. I'm not perfect.

Last edited:

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
For the price, this sort of thing should've never even happened. The kit is far from cheap, and to even call it complete would be a stretch... From missing parts in the kit, to goofy fitment with a cheaply made bracket, as well as a longer belt that still maxes out the tensioner, the overall quality of the kit could've been a bit better. Specifically a design improvement with the bracket, I realize the first kits were actually welded and now they're bent into shape. (Less points of failure) Maybe just include an installation note to make sure the surface is completely flat under where the bolt will sit. A bit of sanding fixed the issue for me, but for the price, should've been a non issue... 🤷‍♂️

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus and wheela

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
For the price, this sort of thing should've never even happened. The kit is far from cheap, and to even call it complete would be a stretch... From missing parts in the kit, to goofy fitment with a cheaply made bracket, as well as a longer belt that still maxes out the tensioner, the overall quality of the kit could've been a bit better. Specifically a design improvement with the bracket, I realize the first kits were actually welded and now they're bent into shape. (Less points of failure) Maybe just include an installation note to make sure the surface is completely flat under where the bolt will sit. A bit of sanding fixed the issue for me, but for the price, should've been a non issue... 🤷‍♂️
Agreed.
But you still fucked up, beginning with choice of vendor.

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Lack of options and wanting to stay direct injection just for ease of control/tuning was probably my first mistake, following picking this platform to be my fun car... Now I over complicate everything I do. Oh well lol... As they say, No Ragrets 💯

Did I mention I also had to buy a hpfp on top of the exorbitant price of this kit... Almost 2k for this setup 🤣 🤣 At least it works, for now 🤷‍♂️ 🙏

• Wow
Reactions: Torgus and SlowE93

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I am sorry but this type of quality is what VTT is known for. The product kind of works if you are willing to fix all their issues.

Reactions: SlowE93

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
It's basically how you make their forward facing intake fit, haha. Plus the hood material delete gives you weight savings to boot👍
How do they fuck that up? They bought one of the best designs for an intake manifold on this platform, and somehow it doesn't fit... All they had to do was read the blueprints... Right!? 🤷‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 😂

I don't believe their race car has a hood... I may be wrong here tho

Reactions: Torgus and wheela