Cooling the EKP

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I have made Active cooling for my EKPM3. What I mean by that is I have installed Heat sinks and a fan. The first one I made I just slapped a fan on the cover and called it good. There is not much space so the fan could rub or just not turn at all if it hits the seat.
I just made a new revision but I haven't installed it yet. Just want to show you guys and see if there is any interest in buying these if I made more?

FYI, I am running a Walbro 535 (Hellcat Fuel pump) and I have a Walbro 450 on a 15psi Hobbs switch and Port injection on the Stock EKPM3 and stock HPFP.

Here are some pics and a video.

Attachments

• IMG_0799redu.jpg
    IMG_0799redu.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0800redu.jpg
    IMG_0800redu.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0801redu.jpg
    IMG_0801redu.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0802redu.jpg
    IMG_0802redu.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0803redu.jpg
    IMG_0803redu.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 130

b4llistic

Corporal
Nov 22, 2018
Ride
BMW N54
EDIT: Thanks your finding and reading my post. Unfortunately, Spoolstreet is no longer a neutral platform where we can have honest discussions on subjects and products freely.
For this reason I have deleted all information I posted on the forums.

Last edited:

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
Been discussed and more info here:

I know, I posted in that thread as well.

Reactions: Torgus

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I have a few I'm doing ... lots of pictures ... one more thread I've yet to post up and flush out :-( ... will get to it.

Filippo

IMG_20200512_145429.jpg

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
Would this be needed if I were running just a 535? Very cool btw.

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I have a few I'm doing ... lots of pictures ... one more thread I've yet to post up and flush out :-( ... will get to it.

Filippo
Very nice fmorelli. I see you are running a Noctua fan. Also thanks for the reminder to put the exhaust holes in the side.
Would this be needed if I were running just a 535? Very cool btw.
The 535 pulls about .7 more amps then a 450 so it is debatable. Keep in mind it will depend on climate, how the EKP was used and by that I mean do you drive WOT or easy. There are so many variables that you can't say yes or no. We know it is a point of failure and this will definitely help with the EKP overheating if not preventing it.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
"The 535 pulls about .7 more amps then a 450 so it is debatable."

I look at it this way: people have had issues with the 450. Basically the system is on the edge of amperage rating. Further evidence - there are a variety of hardware revisions for the EKP over a fairly short period of time, some significant. Unfortunately on this platform some people often have a run it until it breaks, then fix it approach. I don't agree with that, but YMMV. This is inexpensive and smart to do, especially with a heat sink on the component that is prone to overheat. As I like to say, heat is the devil.

That said, buying another EKP online when one gets roasted is not real expensive, and if one has the ability to code the new EKP to one's car, not a really big deal. That is, if one is ok with overheating electronics in one's car lol. I'm leery I guess lol. :sunglasses:

The funny part - active cooling is a more inexpensive solution that buying a BPM4, which is the guidance others would choose. I've gone the active cooling route as I believe it will provide reasonable headroom supporting a 600whp ethanol-based car. No proof on that, just educated guess from what I've researched and seen reported.

Filippo

Reactions: NoGuru

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
i need one :hearteyes:

The funny part - active cooling is a more inexpensive solution that buying a BPM4, which is the guidance others would choose. I've gone the active cooling route as I believe it will provide reasonable headroom supporting a 600whp ethanol-based car. No proof on that, just educated guess from what I've researched and seen reported.

Filippo

how is this more expensive than a bpm4?

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
just made this note on the doc Fillipo posted on the chip so copy it here...

Section 5.4.3 explains the resistor that is next to the chip on the EKP. Seems that resistor can be changed to allow more current at the expense of more emission interference.

Changing that resistor should allow more load but may have to shield it better.

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
just made this note on the doc Fillipo posted on the chip so copy it here...

Section 5.4.3 explains the resistor that is next to the chip on the EKP. Seems that resistor can be changed to allow more current at the expense of more emission interference.

Changing that resistor should allow more load but may have to shield it better.
I need to know more about this!!! I subbed to fmorelli's thread so if you post there we can keep all the info more consolidated.

• Agree
Reactions: fmorelli

Tyster

Apr 11, 2022
I just sold the one our of my car. I could maybe build another one or you could build it your self. I guess PM me and we can figure out what you need. Give me the stats of the car too.
Not quite sure how to PM on this site, I'm brand new here.