Combox Retrofit Guide

cheese

Aug 10, 2021
Adding a few notes here as I just went through a combox retrofit.

You don't need to purchase the double barrel connector as noted in the original post since 2G data has been deactivated. In essence you won't need that connector.

Make sure you purchase these two extension cables. None of the combox retrofit guides explicitly mentioned what extension cables were needed.

You will need a fakra Z male to female RG174 cable (this would connect to the bluetooth (off white/yellow looking port on the combox), and also a Fakra LVDS male to female cable for USB connectivity (black port on the combox, if you don't have 6FL (aux/usb port in armrest) you may not need this connector).

Also when coding, make sure not to FA_WRITE the updated build date (for instance, #0311) as it will negate your ability to do a USB system update on the combox for instance. Make sure you keep your car's original build date intact, but just add in the needed VO code, such as 6NR, 6VC.

fakra Z male to female RG174 cable
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Fakra HSD LVDS male to female cable
s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

kirvedx

Sep 26, 2021
New York
www.mmod.co
Ride
2006 BMW 530 XI
I've done a couple of these retrofits, both into E-Series (E60 and E70). The E70 was such a confusing mess because I had a dud Combox (non-GPS telematik) whereas my E60 was such a beautiful install (a Telematik GPS). I ended up mistakenly comparing the connectors on my E70 vs E60 - and wasted hours (I'll note that later).

The more complicated explanation involves understanding whether the chassis ever had module files that knew about the CIC and Combox, and can therefore default-by-vo-code the modules and detect (or know rather) that they have them.

The simpler explanation in my cases (just to share) is that the E60 can have a CIC with $6VA coded into the VO, while the E70 just needs the build date moved up to minimally 10/09, and does not need the $6VA (it won't even take it). On the flip side, interestingly, the E60 can't take the $6VC (Combox) but the E70 can by moving the build date further, to 10/11.

A common mistake in coding is that people believe they have to fa_write the new date. You do NOT. You simply go through the start process, and go ahead and modify your VO/FA list each and every time to set the date needed for module restrictions to allow for FA's and subsequent codings to happen. If you're doing a ton of programming at once; sure, go ahead and fa_write your new date - but be very careful about SG_CODIEREN'ing anything other than media items and light-hearted modules. A major date change before default-vo-coding something like CAS can have serious side-effects. If you're really comfortable and experienced, just write yourself an SSD file and use that for any programming you do instead of actually modifying your vehicles VIN and VO read from your CAS/LMA/FRM.

With an E60 you use an SSD file to create a similar virtual E90 that you code your Combox with, coding the CIC as well after backing up your settings from the CIC default coded to the E60's VO. Then you revert your CIC after backing up the new settings from the virtually coded E90 and you manually change only the Combox relevant settings in the CIC - so that it plays nice with the E90 coded Combox.

The E60 won't ever know it has a Combox, but it's CIC will work flawlessly with it.

An E70 can default code both components, but if you've done an E60 before and then do an E70 and run into issues with communication and start comparing harnesses (having used a Combox harness left on a combox out of an E70 X5 by pure stroke of luck) you're going to end up flipping wires around and pulling your hair out.

That said, be very careful ordering the pin housing for an E70 combox; do NOT get the socket listed for an E60 or E90. Due to orientation (the E60 stows the Combox vertical, main connector at bottom, its bottom flush with the wall of the driver side rear corner panel where it mounts, the E70 stows the Combox horizontal, main connector pointed towards front of vehicle, its bottom facing the roof of the vehicle) the E70 combox pin-housing has a mirrored pin numbering...they literally have the 1 pin on the opposite corners of the same cover.

Anywho - the best 'hack' for doing these combox retrofits is to simply buy a Combox that has all its pigtails (fakras too) still left on them, bought for your chassis and even your model if you can manage - simply cut off. Using a straight and 90 degree pick you can carefully pry the red little tabs on the fakra connectors, even the double, lifting them out of their sockets ever so slightly and slide out the crimped connectors from their fakra connector covers. Plop your old cables into their respective new fakra covers and you have plug and play with no need for conversions nor the extra expense. Good luck finding a dual-b fakra that isn't 90degrees anyways, and good luck connecting a dual-b 90 degree fakra to the telematik - it's not gonna happen.

You can get the Combox Next, it is a BN2000, and is a 4g telematik. You can call BMW and tell them you replaced your Combox and the shop forgot to update your IMEI. Now you can have assist, and even Connected Drive if you have a model that ever allowed it. BMW did away with the 2G network in US, which is what the old Combox telematik was based on. If you don't want Assist, and don't want to use the SIM/Cellular based internet, then just add -TELD FA to your VO and default code...it'll remove all assist and sos options.

Other than that, another know-how I can share is to simply un-wrap the wiring harness tape at the connector end about a half a foot to a foot back, you'll be able to get your wires very neatly bundled and can redo the tape with an 8$ roll of genuine BMW wiring harness tape from Ebay (it'll last you several projects). No need for the adapters, I doubt anybody is going to have a warranty on an E series at this point anyways.

This was a well done guide, I"m obviously here having searched for something very specific - keyword brought this up and I said "hey, let me see how the spoolstreet gang does their guides". After reading a bit I thought I'd share some of my experience too. I've always gone the SWPatcher method route, activating everything without an emulator - and I never use retrofit adapters. Feel free to ask if you want any links to guides or would like to see my settings (I have everything activated and working).

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Thanks for chiming in, it's one of those cases where there are so many variations. I'm glad to have these tips cataloged in one spot.

Reactions: kirvedx

e60boss

Feb 3, 2024
Thanks for chiming in, it's one of those cases where there are so many variations. I'm glad to have these tips cataloged in one spot.
Hello, would you be able to give me some help? Just currently doing a CCC to CIC retrofit

e60boss

Feb 3, 2024
I'm not sure, you didn't ask any questions. I don't have any specific experience with that conversion.
Did you not do the write-up for this? It's just at the start of this you said, you don't need a harness if you have a mulf and TCU. Does this stand or will I still need a harness? Looking to install a combox to replace the mulf and TCU. Just wondering if I need to order the connectors which you have listed to make a harness for the combox or not. Any help is appreciated

e60boss

Feb 3, 2024
I'm not sure, you didn't ask any questions. I don't have any specific experience with that conversion.
"It is not necessary to make a retrofit harness, however this guide will assume that is being done as it retains the stock mounting locations"
You said that in your guide, is the harness needed for a car that has TCU + mulf, or can I continue on without needing that.

VasN54

Apr 19, 2021
"It is not necessary to make a retrofit harness, however this guide will assume that is being done as it retains the stock mounting locations"
You said that in your guide, is the harness needed for a car that has TCU + mulf, or can I continue on without needing that.
What did you end up doing because I also have TCU & MULF. Just ordered my combox because this stupid Tune2Air dongle is draining my battery (won't turn off when the car turns off) and I've already tried the Avin unit (it was garbage).

e60boss

Feb 3, 2024
What did you end up doing because I also have TCU & MULF. Just ordered my combox because this stupid Tune2Air dongle is draining my battery (won't turn off when the car turns off) and I've already tried the Avin unit (it was garbage).
Hello, I had to order a new plug online and then I took the wires from both the TCU connector and mulf connector, then combined the required wires into the one connector I bought. You will also need the most loop for the most that unplugs from the mulf to continue the loop.