Combox Retrofit Guide

nsjames

Private
Jun 3, 2017
Ride
328 XI Touring
well I'm glad this has sparked more conversation, I haven't gotten around to it yet.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
I found a coding guide for it.

It was done by a Russian then google translated so can be hard to follow but the crux of it is that you need to change VO then default code a few modules.

Attachments

• Coding BMW combox (User photos).pdf
    9.4 MB · Views: 507

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
Here’s the pin out that worked on my retrofit

My chart and yours agree as I'm guessing we both got our info from the BMW manuals.

The actual Combox arrived today and has everything as expected and all the colours match up aside from the AUX connection.

On my X34130 Combox connector I have Green/White to pin10, Shield (black) to pin22, Purple to pin23 and Red/White to pin24.
I also have nothing on pin1 but this seems normal, I think that pin is only powered on cars with the old school phone option installed.

What is the purpose of the CAN connections to the Combox?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Both of you don't have a combox telematics, instead you got combox media only. The Telematics unit provides LoJack style tracking and remote lock unlock through BMW assist, internet access, etc. I'm pretty sure those canbus connections are required by the TCU.

If I remember correctly, my chart puts some pins in bold which are required for the Telematics portion.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
My 2011 Z4 has blutooth option visible in the menu but greyed out and can't select it.

Is it normal for that option to be visible but not usable?

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
Both of you don't have a combox telematics, instead you got combox media only. The Telematics unit provides LoJack style tracking and remote lock unlock through BMW assist, internet access, etc. I'm pretty sure those canbus connections are required by the TCU.

If I remember correctly, my chart puts some pins in bold which are required for the Telematics portion.

I have a Combox Telematics unit. My car currently has a TCU and has Telematics enabled but the TCU has no CAN connection. I know that if I want to keep Telematics enabled I need to call BMW Assist and have them update my account with the serial number of the Combox in place of the TCU. I just have no idea why Combox would be connected to CAN if the TCU wasn't.

My 2011 Z4 has blutooth option visible in the menu but greyed out and can't select it.

Is it normal for that option to be visible but not usable?
Visible in the media menu as a source or in the main menu?

I thought all Z4 came with some fort of Bluetooth but only ones with Combox can stream music.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
I have a Combox Telematics unit. My car currently has a TCU and has Telematics enabled but the TCU has no CAN connection. I know that if I want to keep Telematics enabled I need to call BMW Assist and have them update my account with the serial number of the Combox in place of the TCU. I just have no idea why Combox would be connected to CAN if the TCU wasn't.

Visible in the media menu as a source or in the main menu?

I thought all Z4 came with some fort of Bluetooth but only ones with Combox can stream music.

I have bluetooth phone. The grayed out option is in the media sources with the USB input.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i

My memory on this subject isn't good. My pinout notes state the wires are there for the PDC. So perhaps its related to the backup camera or accoustic signals, something like that, not sure.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
My recollection is There are very few combox telematics that are compatible with modern cell networks and therefore telematics was a waste of time. Can bus would be required for the SOS functions I’d imagine
You could tether a mobile phone for internet and live but I think even people paying for that service are saying that it’s been switched off from BMWs end. (I believe they operated an internet proxy so they could gather usage data)

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
I have bluetooth phone. The grayed out option is in the media sources with the USB input.
That's what I have currently. Think that's normal for cars without Combox.

My memory on this subject isn't good. My pinout notes state the wires are there for the PDC. So perhaps its related to the backup camera or accoustic signals, something like that, not sure.
The note about PDC is there because the PDC module is the closest source of CAN bus. After searching endless topics it seems the reason for CAN on the Combox is telematics but I've got no idea what function requires it. From my reading it might be possible to retain Telematics but given that it's a complete waste of space I think I'll just go down the route of ignoring it :)

My recollection is There are very few combox telematics that are compatible with modern cell networks and therefore telematics was a waste of time. Can bus would be required for the SOS functions I’d imagine
You could tether a mobile phone for internet and live but I think even people paying for that service are saying that it’s been switched off from BMWs end. (I believe they operated an internet proxy so they could gather usage data)
I think in the UK it still works. In the US apparently they shut down the 2G network so it no longer works. I think I can code a Russian VIN to the CIC and that will give me access to Internet via phone but to be honest I can't think of a single part of the BMW ConnectedDrive services I miss.

I still don't know why my wiring colours are different for the AUX but I'll wire it as per the pinouts and ignore the colours.

nsjames

Private
Jun 3, 2017
Ride
328 XI Touring
that's kind of interesting though. I wonder if it would be possible to man in the middle that proxy address and redirect it to your own gateway in order to restore the functionality without BMW.

I'm not planning on using any of those features, probably code them out.
I just want the bluetooth streaming.

nsjames

Private
Jun 3, 2017
Ride
328 XI Touring
So my recent sunroof leak killed the amp, so why not add to the troubleshooting problem by creating new problems and actually doing a combox retrofit?

sure.

The list of options that was given earlier is sweet. thanks.
I did manage to get all the wires and such into the combox without a harness or extension. It took some modification of my TCU bracket to turn it at about 30 degrees so the USB cable was long enough.

but I just finished replacing and ugrading amp firmware and stuff that VO coding into the car and it worked straight off.

big thanks to everyone on the first page for the pinout and coding shortcuts.

Attachments

• IMG_20210712_195318065.jpg
    IMG_20210712_195318065.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 233

nsjames

Private
Jun 3, 2017
Ride
328 XI Touring
so if you're a cheap ass (or just in a hurry and don't want to wait on connectors and cables) this is how to mount the combox and direct pin the wires into the connector.

Hack the upright protusion off the bracket and pop out the stud for the wire holder, move it over so the right side combox holes line up with the left side studs.
done.
The cell antenna coax wires fit if you remove the shrouds. I hot glued them on so they stay. not like it matters anyway since none of that shit's ever gonna work or get turned on. I also glued the colored shrouds on so I at least know which ones they were.

I need to tidy the harness at the top but I'm out of friction tape and i've misplaced the nuts for the studs, I'm sure they're in one of the many baggies of interior parts.
I had some wires not in the pinout that didn't get moved over, so I left them in the old TCU connector. Safest place for them not to cause problems later.

Attachments

• IMG_20210713_110714590_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210713_110714590_HDR.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_20210713_110721953_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210713_110721953_HDR.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 240
Reactions: doublespaces

nsjames

Private
Jun 3, 2017
Ride
328 XI Touring
not complete ass

Attachments

• IMG_20210713_135050322_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210713_135050322_HDR.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 228

cheese

Aug 10, 2021
@doublespaces which cable is in the image you provided in your original post? the one on the far right. i noticed the way you connected the cables does not match with another user who did a combox retrofit.
fast forward to 09m03s
1628635598023.png

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
@doublespaces which cable is in the image you provided in your original post? the one on the far right. i noticed the way you connected the cables does not match with another user who did a combox retrofit.
fast forward to 09m03s
View attachment 57454
This photo?
20170919_205548.jpg

If so those are the same cables in the bags you're showing.

That user did not use the same connections because they probably have a different combox or they are leaving out some functionality. I used a combox telematics, it has cellular capability. There is one for just media. Not sure if that's the difference. I never completed the installation and this was a long time ago so I can't say for sure.

cheese

Aug 10, 2021
@doublespaces i was referring to the fakra b to g adapter cable (the cable thats in the right plastic bag that i linked earlier). the op only has a link to the double barreled fakra cable, hence the confusion.

so you can't confirm if the post you created actually works? i was under the impression that you completed the combox retrofit..

anyhow i found a suitable adapter cable (fakra z to z male/female adapter cable: Fakra Z Male to Fakra Z Female Extention RG174 Coaxial Cable Pick Your Length US | eBay

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
@doublespaces i was referring to the fakra b to g adapter cable (the cable thats in the right plastic bag that i linked earlier). the op only has a link to the double barreled fakra cable, hence the confusion.

so you can't confirm if the post you created actually works? i was under the impression that you completed the combox retrofit..

anyhow i found a suitable adapter cable (fakra z to z male/female adapter cable: Fakra Z Male to Fakra Z Female Extention RG174 Coaxial Cable Pick Your Length US | eBay

The harness works. I sold everything to a member here and they said it worked. I just never did the coding. I can't confirm anything at this point, it's been too long to remember what any of that does.