Collapsing inlets

Jern54

Sergeant
Oct 18, 2019
Netherlands
Ride
E91 N54 335i
Hello,

I just wanted to share my experiences with the Burger Motorsport stock location 2" inlets.

Car is running with Hydra HP800 turbo's.

As soon as boost hits 24PSI boost is crashing.

Performed almost every possible test to rule out collapsing inlets.

After several tests changing inlets was the only option left.

Ordered some Precision Raceworks Relocated Inlets and installed them last week.

Guess what? It solved the issue!

Jern54

Sergeant
Oct 18, 2019
Netherlands
Ride
E91 N54 335i
IMG_20211020_204519.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20211020_204617.jpg
    IMG_20211020_204617.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20211020_204602.jpg
    IMG_20211020_204602.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20211020_204538.jpg
    IMG_20211020_204538.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 53

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
The collapsing inlets topic seems to have escalated a little bit this year. Suddenly many ppl popped up everywhere where boost fell on the face from a certain RPM on and in "higher" boost maps.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
There needs to be a metal spring in the inlets to keep them from collapsing. Similar to how there's a metal spring in the arm 3in s hose from intercooler to charge pipe. They used to not come with the spring in the very first one I bought, they revised it and now the new ones perform much better

Jern54

Sergeant
Oct 18, 2019
Netherlands
Ride
E91 N54 335i
The PR relocated inlets are pretty solid and provided with the metal wire indeed. These fluffy hoses are soft as butter.
Last week I've seen some AliExpress inlets and even they were solid as concrete!

• Funny
Reactions: SlowE93
This is not an isolated issue, I see this frequently on stock location inlets. Vendors sell the cheapest parts they can find, do zero testing, and then never held accountable for the damage to other parts of your car that are directly impacted and or the labor wasted trying to fix the issue they caused.

Brian from Trueform Technologies was the first to build a complete relocation inlet kit. Vendors popped up out of thin air after that selling parts they sourced from ebay to copy the inlets and capitalized on all of the people who wanted that kit, but couldn't afford to drop $1500 on a complete relocation kit, so they bought the knock off inlet kit with cheap ebay parts. To this day, that same knockoff company sells a cheap relocation kit with filters that don't flow more than 500 whp and yet they continue to sell kits because no one stands up and calls them out and if you do you get flooded with fanboy comments. They also sell turbos and started building engines which was a complete flop as they cut corners to save money every chance they could. But, the little filters create so much vacuum on the relocation inlets, it caused the car to misfire under boost because of the high side PCV off the inlet pipe was scavenging so air off the crankcase the car wouldn't run. Removed the filters and the car was able to complete a dyno pull. I'm sure the turbo are fine though. 🤫

Another item that pisses me off is the upgrade PCV valves. There is no such thing as an upgrade PCV unless you plug your head ports, delete the stock PCV and go to a real catch can solution that has a PCV valve inline from the intake manifold. And yet people think it's cool to list upgrade PCV in there mod list as if it actually means something. (☑️Listing upgraded PCV is a clear indication of ignorance! :tearsofjoy:) If it's not working, clean it. If you still has an issue, more than likely you have a bad flapper, cracked valve cover, or bad gasket. 15 to 18 mbar of vacuum on the crankcase at idle is what you should be testing for if your car smokes off throttle when coming to a stop. Also, for all the newbies... Stop wasting money on a high side catch can solution that does absolutely nothing. High side only discharges crankcase pressure under boost. Also, the removal of the flapper will disable the PCV system and creates nothing more than an intake vacuum leak on the intake runners which causes the car to run poorly. A low side catch can will collect all of the moisture and oil that ends up on the back of your intake valves, but you need to plug the head ports.

But... I digress... Inlets are a different issue all together and can be very costly for the consumer because a cheap parts like stock location inlets can ultimately cost you thousands of dollars in parts & labor chasing an issue that looks like a boost leak and causes turbo failure.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
This is not an isolated issue, I see this frequently on stock location inlets. Vendors sell the cheapest parts they can find, do zero testing, and then never held accountable for the damage to other parts of your car that are directly impacted and or the labor wasted trying to fix the issue they caused.

Brian from Trueform Technologies was the first to build a complete relocation inlet kit. Vendors popped up out of thin air after that selling parts they sourced from ebay to copy the inlets and capitalized on all of the people who wanted that kit, but couldn't afford to drop $1500 on a complete relocation kit, so they bought the knock off inlet kit with cheap ebay parts. To this day, that same knockoff company sells a cheap relocation kit with filters that don't flow more than 500 whp and yet they continue to sell kits because no one stands up and calls them out and if you do you get flooded with fanboy comments. They also sell turbos and started building engines which was a complete flop as they cut corners to save money every chance they could. But, the little filters create so much vacuum on the relocation inlets, it caused the car to misfire under boost because of the high side PCV off the inlet pipe was scavenging so air off the crankcase the car wouldn't run. Removed the filters and the car was able to complete a dyno pull. I'm sure the turbo are fine though. 🤫

Another item that pisses me off is the upgrade PCV valves. There is no such thing as an upgrade PCV unless you plug your head ports, delete the stock PCV and go to a real catch can solution that has a PCV valve inline from the intake manifold. And yet people think it's cool to list upgrade PCV in there mod list as if it actually means something. (☑️Listing upgraded PCV is a clear indication of ignorance! :tearsofjoy:) If it's not working, clean it. If you still has an issue, more than likely you have a bad flapper, cracked valve cover, or bad gasket. 15 to 18 mbar of vacuum on the crankcase at idle is what you should be testing for if your car smokes off throttle when coming to a stop. Also, for all the newbies... Stop wasting money on a high side catch can solution that does absolutely nothing. High side only discharges crankcase pressure under boost. Also, the removal of the flapper will disable the PCV system and creates nothing more than an intake vacuum leak on the intake runners which causes the car to run poorly. A low side catch can will collect all of the moisture and oil that ends up on the back of your intake valves, but you need to plug the head ports.

But... I digress... Inlets are a different issue all together and can be very costly for the consumer because a cheap parts like stock location inlets can ultimately cost you thousands of dollars in parts & labor chasing an issue that looks like a boost leak and causes turbo failure.
About time somebody said it 👍🏽
I am having a slight issue with a fuel line at the moment. Never used, impossible to get specs from vendor. So will stay unused until we figure out a return/ refund.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
Hello,

I just wanted to share my experiences with the Burger Motorsport stock location 2" inlets.

Car is running with Hydra HP800 turbo's.

As soon as boost hits 24PSI boost is crashing.

Performed almost every possible test to rule out collapsing inlets.

After several tests changing inlets was the only option left.

Ordered some Precision Raceworks Relocated Inlets and installed them last week.

Guess what? It solved the issue!

Post this on N54tech

• Funny
Reactions: JohnDaviz

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
Curious what inlets were they?
VRSF but they were 1.75 relocation. I really do not like VRSF products after using many of them they are just garbage but I can't blame them for collapsing. I installed them and a month later installed DAW 19T turbos with 2" inlets. The guy who sells the turbos said when they install them they can heat and stretch the 1.75's over the 2" snout. Needless to say that did not work as planned.

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
VRSF but they were 1.75 relocation. I really do not like VRSF products after using many of them they are just garbage but I can't blame them for collapsing. I installed them and a month later installed DAW 19T turbos with 2" inlets. The guy who sells the turbos said when they install them they can heat and stretch the 1.75's over the 2" snout. Needless to say that did not work as planned.
That sucks we live and we learn. I won't be buying from VRSF anymore either. Ordered a set of downpipes from them for the X6M, They had the years listed wrong on their website intern i got the wrong downpipes, and they wouldn't fix the issue. Took zero blame. Those downpipes still sit in my closet ended up ordered a set from another vendor.

Facts are it's hard to hold a vendor accountable these days. The moment something goes wrong they turn their backs and just blame the customer for incorrect installation or having the wrong exhaust. And when you try to bring the issue to light they fan boys come out and shield the company from taking any flack. Everyone here has a few examples where a company, tuner, or vendor gets called out and all of a sudden there's new accounts coming out saying they've had zero issues with them. Companies, tuners, vendors are just banking on the fact because of how widespread this platform has become, they'll have customers no matter the number of failures, they'll always be the next guy who buys from them because of lack of knowledge, sheer ignorance or to save money. The worst part always is in the end a lot of us don't have enough time to sit and argue with these companies through dozens of emails so we move on with our lives and just buy from someone else. Being a younger guy and coming into the N54 game is just a crappy experience, from the Vendors spreading misinformation, to tuners blowing up your car, facebook vendors telling you should buy this that etc.

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
Glad you figured it out before killing a set of turbos like me.

Fuck VRSF and all of their fanboys.
No, the Turbos died. DAW took the blame and replaced them which was cool, but I had to shell out more $$$ for the install again. The place that did the install gave me about 1/2 off since they sympathized with the situation.
In my head it was my fault for accepting the advice, DAW for giving the advice, and the Indy shop for agreeing to do it.

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
In my head it was my fault for accepting the advice, DAW for giving the advice, and the Indy shop for agreeing to do it.
MMP used to give the same advice, if you had their stainless Relocation Inlets in 1.75 they'd just tell you to stretch the coupler over a 2 inch inlet turbo.

• Funny
Reactions: NoGuru