Corporal
Feb 2, 2020
Minsk, Belarus
Ride
BMW M240 xdrive
If it helps, DKG TCU used only
UNKNOWN (looks like ST_MDRV_SPT_GRB) status (offset 1, bits 0-1),
ST_MDRV_MOD_GRB - 001: Automatik 010: Sequentiell (offset 1, bits 5-7) and
ST_MDRV_STG_GRB - 1..6: Program 1..6 (offset 2, bits 0-4) from CAN 0x399.

Reading this thread i want to ask, is there known successful 135 M-button retrofit? Because i experimenting with mine CIC and now i have M Key item is Settings with POWER options Normal and Sport. Idea is to make M button on steering wheel works like Sport button?

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I've had the M button on the wheel working to the extent it activates the Kombi light, low (sport) torque request tables in the DME, toggles CIC menus, but not sport program in the trans that I can verify (which would be power button in the M3 and is activated on a DME pin). I've made some attempts to do that via CAN, but no success yet. ST_MDRV_SPT_GRB is always 0 when logged.

The CIC options change with the wheel button, but it doesn't actually activate them. i.e. When set to be DSC off on the wheel button in DME, CIC changes to DSC Off, but it's not actually and no light on Kombi. I still need to press and hold DSC button to actually turn it off. I think Z4 programming/coding and JBBF wiring might get the CIC settings to actually function, but would still be limited. Need an M3 DME or programming probably for everything to work 100% and have full options active.

Reactions: aus335iguy

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Because I believe this to be a DME issue I don’t think it will work either without logic in the DME changed or a CAN shield RSL found some software switches in the IKMOS ROM for N54 but even that didn’t help. N55 is different again. Perhaps the M2 Roms might have something?

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I've flipped everything related to the M button in IKM0S that wasn't already on (DKG, DSC, etc). DSC signal is going somewhere because CIC value changes with it, but it doesn't actually turn it off. DKG may likewise be sending a signal, but not making it to the trans or anywhere I can see.

It's possible something would've been different in the trans bin on 1M that isn't there on M3. It's not clear what 1M would've used for EGS, but seems a park lock button and a sport button would've been in play, ala non-M DCT. Kind of curious to swap drive logic button back out for the sport button and see if the wheel button does anything then, but I'd need to flash back to IKM0S.

Reactions: aus335iguy

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
That’s all true for N54. Most of the 135’s that i know of are N55 and thats why i mentioned the M2 ROM. Per Olza’s question If anything were to work that‘d be it.

Reactions: RSL

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
The DCT bin? I haven't even paid much attention to them, but would be interesting to compare.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
TCU seems fairly self-contained except for monitoring params and torque input, but no way on DME. Unless they changed a lot, DCT bin might move the car, but probably an even bigger hassle to get any external comms working with it. It would probably be a giant headache and I'm not curious enough to even think about messing with it lol

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
I've flipped everything related to the M button in IKM0S that wasn't already on (DKG, DSC, etc). DSC signal is going somewhere because CIC value changes with it, but it doesn't actually turn it off. DKG may likewise be sending a signal, but not making it to the trans or anywhere I can see.

It's possible something would've been different in the trans bin on 1M that isn't there on M3. It's not clear what 1M would've used for EGS, but seems a park lock button and a sport button would've been in play, ala non-M DCT. Kind of curious to swap drive logic button back out for the sport button and see if the wheel button does anything then, but I'd need to flash back to IKM0S.
just wondering, have you checked the damos for LC_VAR_SPT_SWI, there seems to be a switch for the m drive button thingy

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I have that switch enabled for sure. I think it's in those few I posted, but I'd have to double-check.

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
I have that switch enabled for sure. I think it's in those few I posted, but I'd have to double-check.
might be of interest

4.60.4.24 BEDIENUNG_MDRV (MDRIVE switch, ID = 1D9 hex)
1608844030654.png

4.60.5.25 ST_MDRV (status MDRIVE, ID = 399 hex)
1608843473519.png

1608843487331.png

maybe a 1M rom is required...?
1608844545177.png

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
It does need 1M rom and an M drive SZL for the wheel button to work. Most things, except trans program (getr_prog) are active with IKM0S, but that's not to say everything actually activates with the signals from M button/DME.

Drive Logic default set to 3 in DME for this log, but actually stays 2 as defined in DCT bin, DSC off set in the DME doesn't turn it off, but CIC option changes with it, etc. So there is still some miss on data being received/acknowledged functionally that way. DSC and Drive Logic levels are functional by their physical buttons though.

The trans program would come from the SZM Power button on M3 and I don't know that would be able to come from anything except CAN. I don't remember which ID/bytes/bits I messed with last, but have attempted to broadcast M3 info for sport/power. 0x315 is the mode on M3 and I've yet to be able to see that in a log on either K or PT CAN and still have not seen getr_prog anything except 0.

The only other thing I haven't tried since I got the wheel button working is non-M shifter+sport button or M3 shifter+sport button to see if something on that setup works differently. Sport button with higher mode set may be the easiest way to go. It works on non-M DCT bin too, but Z4 calibration or full M3 bin seem better suited though.

DCT is normal (not GTS) M3 bin, M3 shifter and drive logic button right now. Stock 335is Kombi is M3 coded. 1M DSC programming/coding so I don't have to rewire DSC and as of right now, JBBF and CIC are 1M coded (no M menu) and on INA0S right now.

I haven't messed with it much in a month or so because I actually have to commute daily again, but I'll get back on it at some point.

Reactions: AzNdevil

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I attempted to change all the switches in RSLs post on a stock 335i DCT with IKMOS to see what would happen. The combo seemed to retain the values I stored in the CIC, even after switching off the car. I later realised that with comfort access I may not have tested properly as I stayed with the keys in the car. That’s as far as I got

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
It does need 1M rom and an M drive SZL for the wheel button to work. Most things, except trans program (getr_prog) are active with IKM0S, but that's not to say everything actually activates with the signals from M button/DME.

Drive Logic default set to 3 in DME for this log, but actually stays 2 as defined in DCT bin, DSC off set in the DME doesn't turn it off, but CIC option changes with it, etc. So there is still some miss on data being received/acknowledged functionally that way. DSC and Drive Logic levels are functional by their physical buttons though.

The trans program would come from the SZM Power button on M3 and I don't know that would be able to come from anything except CAN. I don't remember which ID/bytes/bits I messed with last, but have attempted to broadcast M3 info for sport/power. 0x315 is the mode on M3 and I've yet to be able to see that in a log on either K or PT CAN and still have not seen getr_prog anything except 0.

The only other thing I haven't tried since I got the wheel button working is non-M shifter+sport button or M3 shifter+sport button to see if something on that setup works differently. Sport button with higher mode set may be the easiest way to go. It works on non-M DCT bin too, but Z4 calibration or full M3 bin seem better suited though.

DCT is normal (not GTS) M3 bin, M3 shifter and drive logic button right now. Stock 335is Kombi is M3 coded. 1M DSC programming/coding so I don't have to rewire DSC and as of right now, JBBF and CIC are 1M coded (no M menu) and on INA0S right now.

I haven't messed with it much in a month or so because I actually have to commute daily again, but I'll get back on it at some point.

off topic but would you mind sharing how you found the ram addresses to log the parameters?
i have some stuff i would like to log myself... thanks

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
There is some info out there, but not necessarily public. If you have any that show them, I think most/all are 0xd addresses and they are rom family specific. If not, and you need for IKM0S and know the names, PM me a list and I'll get them to you.

Other roms, like INA0S, are a pain for me to cross them over to. I usually reach out to others for those myself since they seem to have them more readily/easily accessible.

KClemente

Sergeant
Nov 26, 2019
Ride
E90 335i
Copy and paste of my post from a different thread but///

"The Z4, which shares the same JBBF as our cars, though may be shipped with a different software ZB, grounds pin 18 on connector Z14271. I have the M3 shift surround with all of the buttons, so one of these days, i'll wire it in to the JBBF.

It's a shame the MSS60 control's basically all of the features of the CIC M-Drive

Reading about the sport button on E89's, it basically uses the "Low" maps in the dme and shows a "SPORT" symbol just like LCI auto E90's. The auto E90's GWS most likely send a can signal to the TCU which then gets sent over to the cluster and dme.

What i'm thinking is that we use the JBBF to send that signal over to the cluster and dme instead.

Can someone get me a hardware and software ZB# off of the Z4 JBBF's? I currently have an E84 JBBF 3 M stamp installed right now for my servotronic.

View attachment 47632

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009

Reading about the sport button on E89's, it basically uses the "Low" maps in the dme and shows a "SPORT" symbol just like LCI auto E90's. The auto E90's GWS most likely send a can signal to the TCU which then gets sent over to the cluster and dme.

What i'm thinking is that we use the JBBF to send that signal over to the cluster and dme instead.

Can someone get me a hardware and software ZB# off of the Z4 JBBF's? I currently have an E84 JBBF 3 M stamp installed right now for my servotronic.

View attachment 47632
@carabuser might be able to help with the ZB

• Agree

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017

I can't get signal to the trans on M3 setup, everything else works (just not all with the wheel button).

Different cars' buttons do different things, sport isn't just low req and turn a light on and just shifter left isn't sport (maybe on AT?). Some do it all on one button one way and others are multiple buttons through various paths.