Coding M modules in a non M car

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Hi guys.I'm really interesting what you exploring.I have a 1M,I just want change my M button setting,Hold 5 or 10 seconds to active the DSC OFF. Is that possible by coding? My car build in 6/2012.
I thought that DSC off as you’re asking was a standard feature ??
“The M Dynamic Mode aka MDM cannot be programmed to be activated by the same M button. Thus it's triggered by the MDM button (blue circle) located at the dashboard. As usual with BMWs, a long press of said button will deactivate DSC completely. “

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
To program it to the M button on the steering wheel requires the same effort outlined in the other thread
In other words a custom program in your DME OR an external can shield device that does the same.

yiruiguan

Mar 2, 2021
To program it to the M button on the steering wheel requires the same effort outlined in the other thread
In other words a custom program in your DME OR an external can shield device that does the same.
That is what I want. I will read this.thx!

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Logic switch in the DME might disable DSC immediately with M button. Might try and confirm if it works.

Reactions: aus335iguy

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Wheel button definitely doesn't do squat without the M drive SZL, and probably 1M/M3 DSC flash to go with it. If it worked on anything for full off with wheel button, actual 1M would be it.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Is this then an accurate statement “For Non M SZL people arduino would be the only way forward. The standard SZL does not send the correct messages and cannot be flashed with M ZB”

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Is this then an accurate statement “For Non M SZL people arduino would be the only way forward. The standard SZL does not send the correct messages and cannot be flashed with M ZB”
Almost. Standard SZL will work with M ZB (that's what I had at first), there just isn't any functionality difference than normal non-M that I noticed. If you have non-M SZL at all, CAN is the way forward for button to work.

For the button to work with no external CAN, need M SZL, M DSC and coding. I haven't tested yet, but does look like it would work on any DME rom with logic enabled.

Reactions: aus335iguy

KClemente

Corporal
Nov 26, 2019
Ride
E90 335i
Almost. Standard SZL will work with M ZB (that's what I had at first), there just isn't any functionality difference than normal non-M that I noticed. If you have non-M SZL at all, CAN is the way forward for button to work.

For the button to work with no external CAN, need M SZL, M DSC and coding. I haven't tested yet, but does look like it would work on any DME rom with logic enabled.
Just to clarify, you can flash an M zb onto the szl but it still wouldn't send the correct messages right? How do you flash the szl anyways?

I'll retrofit a later model dsc unit one of these days and finally get an M button

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Just to clarify, you can flash an M zb onto the szl but it still wouldn't send the correct messages right? How do you flash the szl anyways?

I'll retrofit a later model dsc unit one of these days and finally get an M button
SZL is set through DSC.

Reactions: KClemente

AzNdevil

Sergeant
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
just a quick update..i picked up a m3 cluster and szl and its installed in my car now
still looking for a cheap 09ish non m 6 cylinder/m3 dsc + yaw sensor before i can join you guys on the hunt for m drive

cluster needs kph gauge faces... the speed is wrong and i cbf to change my vo to code it so i reads properly

IMG_20210309_020341.jpg

Olza

Corporal
Feb 2, 2020
Minsk, Belarus
Ride
BMW 135 2011
maybe not correctly, but asking help for information of some bits of DSC CAN 0xB6h
1615391884997.png

i need byte 4 bits 6-7 definition. its like bits 4-5 status (MSR or ASC active) but something else. maybe only M3 DSC. anyone?